Plastic nose thing in purge mask came out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The purge popped out because I was reaching up into the seal all around the plastic dohickey while cleaning it after my final day of diving, as I mentioned in my first post. Yes, I know its a mindboggling concept but I've managed to wrap my mind around it.

I've been wondering for awhile...is there any way to take the purge valve out of a purge mask and seal the orifice-using the mask as a non purging type? I have a back up mask that's a purge style and wouldn't mind converting it if it's easy. Silicone goop?

Jim T., I think silicon goop will certainly render the purge valve itself inoperative, (eiher closed or open!) but silicon will not prevent the plastic purge valve from popping out of the mask. The valve usually is held in place by a thin rim of mask material which fits into a groove on the valve. Mask material, generally a silicon compound, is extremely resistant to any kind of glue or bonding. Silicon cement will not bond to silicon. In fact silicon does not bond well with anything other than glass, which is why they use it to hold aquariums together. I agree that purge valves are a bad idea, especially because they tend to pop out more easily after the first time.

Don't take it personally, but If you ask me which way the plastic thing goes, I'd say there is only one way: straight into the trash.

I'll have to agree, no real need for a purge valve on the mask. It's only buying trouble. If you have trouble clearing your mask, try a low volume one. Much easier and nothing to fall apart. Same is true for the purge valve on the snorkel. I guess I am a slow learner, but I am on my second purge snorkel. Trouble with them is they seem to turn into straws, sucking up water instead of draining it out. I just threw mine away.

Back
Top Bottom