Planning a trip while considering the current situation in Cairo/Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeBell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've done some reading about the current situation (including the 8 page topic here). I am considering coming to Egypt to do some diving/sight seeing but I'm a little worried about the political climate. I realize that what I am going to ask is all speculation and no, I don't expect anyone here to have a time machine. For actual dive shop recommendations in these "interesting" times, I'll use the recent recommendation thread.

I read some pretty bleak stuff in that topic about trashing the reef, is the reef generally still in a good condition? I'm planning to be there in the second and third week of September. How are the prices of the hotels? Would it be a good idea to walk in hoping to get a moderate deal (without a booking?). My plan was to spend 5 days in Sharm, initially because I thought it would be more safe than Cairo but now I'm not sure of that. Generally my plan was simply to stay away from crowds as much as possible, obviously this is a good idea but should that be enough to keep me out of harm's way?

Again, I realize this is all subject to speculation but I'd rather get a more accurate view from the locals rather than the sensationalist media coverage.

And speaking of safety, should I worry more about the riots or the sharks? :wink: (seriously though, the whole shark thing was exaggerated, right?)

Thanks RSShadow, I suppose that's right. I guess I'm just being overly cautious. Would you book in advance? It seems more likely that I should as otherwise they may not dive due to a lack of people. I suppose the only major thing I have to worry about is the potential flight cancellations and no one can predict those. Also, no one can predict when or where something bad could happen (the recent riots in London are a good example).

We are going back in a weeks time for our second visit since the troubles (albeit this time on a liveaboard) and other than it being quieter than our first visit last year, there was no problems at all....made things nicer not to have so many tourists bumbling about.
Divecentre wise, I would recommend prebooking (its cheaper) and go with one of the bigger firms, I suggest RedSeaCollege, but OceanCollege, Emperor and Sinai all have good reps. I doubt youll have problems of no boats going, but most centres would help you get on one of the competitors boats if theirs arent going! Stick to one of the better hotels (Hilton Fairouz was nice last trip, close enough to the centre but not noisy!)
Either way, youll love the diving !
Mooseman

The reefs in Sharm are fine. I was at Shark and Yolanda today and it was awesome - I posted in the wildlife thread I saw 5 sailfish there a few days ago. That is not common here!

Don't worry about your personal safety, not at all. I would recommend you have holiday insurance just in case flights are cancelled as they were back in February but it's a fantastic time to dive here.

Look at what's available - some dive centres have affiliated hotels and make dive packages, some offer discounts for pre-booking - a few minutes googling can sort you out with a nice price flight and hotel stay and some good diving. Package holidays depends a little bit on where you're from, I guess.

Hope you enjoy it here if you do come over,

Cheers

C.

Thanks for all your help guys! I booked my flight from Istanbul to Sharm for the 12th and plan to be in Egypt for about 9 days - 7 of them in Sharm! I'm just waiting to hear back from Red Sea College regarding taking the wreck specialty course and and perhaps doing some other diving. I'm not sure what else there is to do, so I'll probably spend a good 5 days diving (hopefully)! :D

I would pretty much second all that has been said so far.

Even during the most dramatic moments of the revolution, Sharm was completely untouched by any violence.. and to be honest, had we not had our eyes glued to the television, we would not have known that anything untowards was happening at all. Although we would have definitely been a little puzzled by the distinct lack of tourists during that time.

At the moment as Crowley said, the reefs here are pretty fantastic. The damage mentioned has been minimal and has been on public beaches, where sadly there has already been a certain amount of damage from swimmers and beachgoers anyway.

As others have said, I would most definitely book ahead of time. Most of the main dive centres have their own websites where you can book the course or dive package of your choice ahead of time on-line, and with a fairly hefty discount for doing so. Likewise I recommend Ocean College, Emperor, Red Sea College, Camel. All of whom have centres in Naama Bay, will collect you from whichever hotel you are staying in, and will run to similar safety standards.

Enjoy your trip!

I would pretty much second all that has been said so far.

Even during the most dramatic moments of the revolution, Sharm was completely untouched by any violence.. and to be honest, had we not had our eyes glued to the television, we would not have known that anything untowards was happening at all. Although we would have definitely been a little puzzled by the distinct lack of tourists during that time.

Also there was a chronic shortage of cigarettes... given that 99.99% of dive guides and instructors smoke, our main objective (given that we had nothing else to do) was finding a supply that didn't involve resorting to expensive girlie menthol smokes! :D

At the moment as Crowley said, the reefs here are pretty fantastic. The damage mentioned has been minimal and has been on public beaches, where sadly there has already been a certain amount of damage from swimmers and beachgoers anyway.

Agreed - I haven't been up to Dahab recently but the reefs in Sharm are fine. There has been a lot of illegal fishing, and for sure I'm finding lines in places that lines should not be - but it's single lines, and not nets.

As others have said, I would most definitely book ahead of time. Most of the main dive centres have their own websites where you can book the course or dive package of your choice ahead of time on-line, and with a fairly hefty discount for doing so. Likewise I recommend Ocean College, Emperor, Red Sea College, Camel. All of whom have centres in Naama Bay, will collect you from whichever hotel you are staying in, and will run to similar safety standards.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm feeling strangely unrecommended Divebunnie!! :D

Enjoy your trip to Sharm Mike,

Cheers

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom