planing dive vacation in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qcdiver

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a diver from Montreal, QC and I am planning to go on a dive trip to NC within a week or two. We'll be 4 divers and we're all PADI Rescue level. Diver experience vary from 30 dives to 70. If I could get some recommendation on good dive shops out there as well as wich wrecks/sites are nice to dive, it would be great.

Thanks in advance,

qcdiver

what part of NC will you be looking to visit/dive?

Outer Banks?

Morehead City?

Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington?

These are the three main areas, and the dive "scene" is different in each of them, ie charters available, boat types, water temps, dive sites.

BradfordNC:
what part of NC will you be looking to visit/dive?

Outer Banks?

Morehead City?

Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington?

These are the three main areas, and the dive "scene" is different in each of them, ie charters available, boat types, water temps, dive sites.

We want to do some camping on the Ocracoke island. I don't know wich of the three sites you mentionned is closer to this area but we'd certainly want to dive near where we are staying. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

qcdiver

Try Outerbanksdiving.com. They are located in Hatteras, which is right across the ferry from Ocracoke. They have 2 boats and are the best and the closest to where you will be.
Gary

CAMPING ?! in July on Ocracoke...good luck, your a braver sole than me. Just kidding but be aware that the bugs can be ......make that WILL be very bad that time of year and the heat/humidity is very bad as well. I grew up and still live in NC and I will not camp from June to Oct due to the heat and bugs. The mosquitos are big and hungry. Bug repelant with lots of deet and a fan are great additions to your camping gear.
Outerbanks Diving is your best bet for an operator. I don't know how bad they book up but most of the operators lower in the state stay pretty full this time of year so you need to call/email ahead and see what they have available. Also, unless your divers are very experienced in OCEAN boat diving(lakes and rivers don't count), consider some form of seasick medication. Nothing messes up a dive trip faster than being seasick and I have seen better than 1/2 of the divers on some of our boats hanging over the rail. Not a pretty site.

herman:
CAMPING ?! in July on Ocracoke...good luck, your a braver sole than me. Just kidding but be aware that the bugs can be ......make that WILL be very bad that time of year and the heat/humidity is very bad as well. I grew up and still live in NC and I will not camp from June to Oct due to the heat and bugs. The mosquitos are big and hungry. Bug repelant with lots of deet and a fan are great additions to your camping gear.
Outerbanks Diving is your best bet for an operator. I don't know how bad they book up but most of the operators lower in the state stay pretty full this time of year so you need to call/email ahead and see what they have available. Also, unless your divers are very experienced in OCEAN boat diving(lakes and rivers don't count), consider some form of seasick medication. Nothing messes up a dive trip faster than being seasick and I have seen better than 1/2 of the divers on some of our boats hanging over the rail. Not a pretty site.

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your advice. I will defenitely share this info with my dive buddies. We dove in the Cuban see this winter but all our dives were from shore. I know one diver tends to get seasick on boats so as you said, we'll make sure we have seasick medication. From what you're saying, camping is not such a good idea. I guess renting a beach house would be a better way of spending time there. I'll look to see if there are places still available. Thanks for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated.

qcdiver

If you guys are not set on the Outer Banks (and I love the area, it's really our best beaches) you may want to consider going on down to the Morehead City or Wilmington areas. There is a lot more to do, more places to stay and more dive operations. Not sure which one, but one of them runs a dive bunk house for a fairly cheap price. I enjoy camping and try to do some each fall but it's just plain miserable at 90 deg and 100% humidity. Add in a swarm of mosquitos and "no see ums" (flying teeth with wings) and it pure hell. Been there, done that, no way I'm going back.

Like Herman, I don't much enjoy camping on the Outer Banks after about mid-June because of the heat and humidity. Couple of options in Hatteras area, Frisco Campgrounds offers a type of "cabin". This is a small room with a porch type of thing on the front that you can sit on (and dry gear). Big thing is that it is air conditioned. Also, I consistently have luck getting decent rooms at the Hatteras Harbor Motel. There are others in the area, but this one is reasonably priced, near Outer Banks Diving, and fairly clean (by my standards which means it doesn't have green mold growing up the walls, is straightened up by a maid daily).

I do LOVE the diving. Great wrecks and John, Amy and the crew at Outer Banks Diving are some of the best around. Great vis, tons of wildlife (including tons of Sand Tiger sharks) and nice warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom