Pink slip for x-mas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doghouse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
2103949623_9bc929fb7b.jpg

Even santa is sad about the cancelation of x-mas this year. My company decided that they needed to cut costs, so they cut my division.
Anyone know of any jobs for a Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer?

well that just SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but im hoping that 2008 will be a GREAT year for you... full of exciting, new changes that will make you happier!!!

sending positive thoughts so enjoy your Chrissy and heres to a better new year :multi:

still sucks though :hugs:

I believe everything happens for a reason. (Like more time with the family this year at the holiday)
But nothing except well wishes for you and your family.

Good luck in your job search.

And Happy holidays!

Completely on the other side of the country, but google Boeing's employment web page and see if you can look for or enter Requisition Number: 07-1028923. (Due to the firewall blues, I'm unable to give you a direct link.)

Lots and lots of diving out by El Segundo too.

Software Quality Engineer 5:

Requisition Number: 07-1028923
Activated - Posted Internally and Externally. - Available

Location El Segundo, CA
Virtual Office/Telecommute? Virtual Work Not Available (Things you should know about Virtual Office)
Shift First
Salary SJC Salary Reference Table
Business Unit Integrated Defense Sys
Division Network & Space Systems
Program Space And Intelligence Systems
Occupation Title Quality
Skills Management Title Software Engineering
Job Classification JASTP5
Experience Level Senior Level (15+ years of experience)
Job Type Non-Management
Exemption Status Exempt
Union No
Security Clearance Required?
(Security Clearance definitions) Ability to Obtain Interim and/or Final Clearances (Post Start) - US Citizenship Required
Work Eligibility Required? Yes
Is a US Person required to do this job? Yes
Export Control Required? Yes
Relocation Money Available? No
Relocation Incentive Available? No
ERP Money Available? Yes
Employee Referral Program Award ERP $ Global Staffing Salaried and non-Puget Sound Hourly ERP Information
Date Posted 12/07/2007
Closing Date 01/07/2008 (Things you should know about closing dates)

Position Description
Initiates new organization policies, procedures, infrastructure and metrics. Leads process improvement activities. Plans and develops complex proposals and cost estimates. Leads software quality reviews of large-scale, complex supplier proposals. Leads review and approval of software life cycle documents and program products. Establishes risk assessment criteria to determine audit requirements. Plans and leads multi-agency audits of software engineering processes and associated support functions. Evaluates new technologies for configuration management tools and processes and makes recommendations for implementation. Works with senior management to establish process improvement goals. Plans software quality test activities and completion of test readiness activities. Ensures integrity of test process. Verifies test results. Leads initial reconciliation of complex, highly integrated software data products. Participates in development of industry standards for software procurement. Develops program specific software quality requirements for flow down to suppliers. Plans and verifies acceptability of supplier's software quality systems and programs. Performs software acceptance and delivery activities for high risk or high value procurements. Analyzes organization level data to identify trends in non-compliances and initiates organization level corrective and preventive actions. Reviews and approves corrective and preventive action plans. Verifies effectiveness of corrective and preventive action plans. Reports non-conformance and corrective action data to appropriate management. Works under consultative direction. Works with management to establish and implement process improvement goals and CMMI practices. Takes independent action; seeks out additional assignments or tasks; demonstrates a strong work ethic and sense of urgency for completing work assignments and meets commitments. In addition, the applicant must be able to work and coordinate well with team members to final completion of objectives.
Competencies
General/Leadership
[ + ] Coaching/Teaching

Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
[ + ] Communication

Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
[ + ] Decision Making

Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or develops appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
[ + ] Managing Conflict

Deals effectively with others in an antagonistic situation: uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people.
[ + ] Systems Thinking

Ability to understand the big picture and the inter-relationships of all positions and activities in the organization, including the impact of changes in one area on another area. This includes the ability to see and understand the inter-relationships between components of systems and plans and anticipate future events.
Technical
[ + ] Boeing Knowledge

Knowledge of Boeing's organizations, processes, program plans, policies and procedures, and products required to effectively perform functional responsibilities of the occupation.
[ + ] Quality Systems/Standards

Knowledge of the quality system (e.g., Boeing Quality Management System (BQMS), International Organization for Standardization (ISO9001), Aerospace Standard (AS91001).
[ + ] Software Dev Life Cycle

Knowledge of the concepts and processes of managing a software system throughout the entire life cycle.
[ + ] Software Engineering Processes

Knowledge of development methodology and configuration software management tools and processes.
[ + ] Supplier Product Quality

Apply knowledge of suppliers' abilities (e.g., production, technical, service, design), management (e.g., organization structure, processes, risks, capacity, past performance), and products used in procurement activities (e.g., supplier selection, bid list development, supplier management).

Education and/or Experience
Requires educational credentials meeting the Boeing classification standards for engineers and typically 14 to 19 years' experience in an engineering classification or educational credentials meeting the Boeing classification standards for engineers and either a Master's degree with 12 to 17 years' experience or a PhD degree with 9 to 14 years' experience in an engineering classification.
Other Job related information
Candidate must have experience in software quality, auditing, CMMI practices and leading process improvement initiatives. Able to provide leadership to drive investigation and resolution of complex problems. Due to importance of inter-organizational coordination, candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to interface effectively with supplier, Boeing teams, and customer personnel. Experience using quality tools and problem solving skills desirable along with the ability to lead/mentor other less-experienced teammates. Must be adaptable and can help shape changes in own and fellow team leaders' work and situations. Builds positive relationship with other team leaders, managers and internal employees. Ability to multitask and prioritize work assignment effectively to support program events. Consistently and proactively recognizes a wide range of highly advanced or unusually complex issues, problems, or opportunities across the organization; determines whether action is needed. Adeptly identifies the need for and collects information to better understand issues, problems, and opportunities; has advanced knowledge in integrating unusually complex information from a variety of sources; detects unusually complex trends, associations, and cause-effect relationships. Focuses on continuous improvement. Demonstrates personal commitment to the team and customers in actions and decisions. Current SSBI Top Secret Clearance or ability to be cleared to SSBI level required. There will be about 15-20% travel required for this position. The majority of the work effort will be in El Segundo, with some activities performed in Seal Beach.

Sorry to hear your job has been eliminated. It is hard to go through but seems rougher this time of year. I do know how you are feeling as my job was eliminated the beginning of this month. There are jobs out there, just have to remember it may take awhile. Networking, like you are doing here, is a great way to get something started. I think I have something in the works, so get out there and network.

PS Love the dog.

a year ago (your post is dated Dec 18, so exactly a year ago) I got the same news. I can say without hesitation it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Got to spend a month at home with the kids thanks to a generous don't sue us package then got a job 5 mins from home rather than the hour comute I'd had for 10 years with a big promotion and an atmosphere that has completely changed my life. So, keep your head up and look at it as an opportunity.

Sorry to hear that, Good luck in the job search. Cute Gordon Setter! He's so well behaved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom