picking out first reg and question about a "balanced" second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vdh has a mk10/g250 for 100 dollars

Store - Vintage Double Hose

That looks like a pretty good deal. If someone were to give you a MK10/G250 and you took it to a LDS to have rebuilt, they would probably charge you $25-30 per stage labor, and about the same for parts. As this setup is already serviced you are way ahead of the game; not to mention the MK10/G250 is pretty hard to beat and will last you a very long time.

That looks like a pretty good deal. If someone were to give you a MK10/G250 and you took it to a LDS to have rebuilt, they would probably charge you $25-30 per stage labor, and about the same for parts. As this setup is already serviced you are way ahead of the game; not to mention the MK10/G250 is pretty hard to beat and will last you a very long time.
My rec diving buddy is still using the same Mk10/108/9 over the last 25Yrs+. Never heard a word of complain and the last time he had the reg serviced was four yrs ago.
If Halcyon is willing to rebrand G250 into "Halo", there must be good reason behind.

I think one of them now may do it with Atomic and @Kristi@CCDS can confirm if they do, but unaware of others.

Yes, we do have a few Z2 and a b/m set of M1 in our rental fleet. I'd like to add more over the next few months.

This is wild you guys are a bunch of conspiracy theorists. Our rental Fleet consists of Aqualung core Supremes because they work. When someone wants to buy a regulator I have a lot more than aqualung to offer them.. You start with budget and then see what kind of features you can pack into that budget. I would venture to say the core itself is overlooked because it doesn't have the fancy knob. But it is really a pleasant regulator to dive. That said I don't own one for myself. That said some of my favorite regulators are ones we are not even an authorized retailer for. The difference in balanced and unbalanced has already been clearly stated I think it's time for the OP to pick his brick-and-mortar location or pick the web store and make it happen! If you're shopping for functional start researching borrowing and renting.

. . . . But it is really a pleasant regulator to dive. . . .

What brand/model would you consider an "unpleasant" regulator to breathe? I ask in all seriousness.

A number of times, I have taken the position that most of us doing recreational dives won't notice a difference among regulators in a blind test, and all modern regs work perfectly well for our purposes. Sure, I have seen the "work of breathing" measurements and read the comments from reviewers, but I'm just not convinced it's really meaningful for most of us.

Earlier in the thread, I said I have yet to read a comment in which someone says he regrets having purchased brand X regs because they are difficult to breathe in the water. Have you? Maybe there have been a few on SB, but I honestly just don't recall reading any.

Last edited:
None. anytime I'm getting reliable air idc. Most can't tell I agree.

I think Pleasant refers to more than just the effort of breathing and also refers to the dent in your wallet in relation to the relative features. Environmental seal balancing and if a warranty that stands behind it plus has worldwide support. Again my thoughts were that a simple reg like the core was over looked because it doesn't have a manual spring adjustment like some others. A balanced second stage wouldn't need that other than to prove it has that feature.

Back
Top Bottom