Picking a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Edge Epic looks GREAT, however, the octo is sold seperately, and bumps the price up to almost $400.00, which is more than I am really looking to spend at the moment.

Edge Epic Custom Regulator Set @ Divers-Supply.com

Does anyone know when the HOG D1 sets are suppposed to come with a Yoke option?
The D1 set for the mid/upper $200 range seems perfectly priced,
with the solid endorsements, however, the conversion issues mentioned appear to disqualify it.

@Hatul - Thanks for the input. I agree, I would like quality gear that lasts, however, I typically don't need the newest and shiniest. Are you considering the HOG D1 and Edge Epic low end also? Or are they the lowest of the mid range?

Out of curiosity, what would you consider being high end, but on the low end of price range for higher end stuff? There's almost no chance I will buy it at this time, but just so I know.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

I also sell HOG and Edge regs and my understanding is that the yoke option will show up around end of Feb/early March. It is going to be available as an add-on kit that I can use to convert a DIN HOG first stage to yoke. You will still get the DIN parts if you buy the reg from me to convert it back should you choose to at some future point. I do not think there will be HOGs coming with yoke assemblies already installed from HOG unless something changes.

The HOG set you are looking at for 259 does not include the octo or a hose for it. It also is DIN.
That price is for a first stage, a single second stage, and a 22inch hose. If you hit the drop down menus you'll see that as you add items the price goes up. That said it's still a great deal for the reg and I can match it. Any HOG dealer can in fact.

The Edge is also a good option and is just a bit less expensive but not of lesser quality or performance.

To get a HOG set you can use out of the box you need a first stage, primary second, alternate second, hoses for both, an adapter if using yoke tanks. I sell that for 449.00. Then you need to add a gauge of some type. You can do that starting at about 75 bucks and go up from there.

I also have a couple freshly serviced used regs I can sell you. PM me for details. Staying in your price range is going to severely limit you on a new reg. The other option is to wait, save your money, and get what you want. I have had to sacrifice in the past to get something I wanted. Sit down and look at how much money you waste every week. Starbucks coffee every day? In a month there's an SPG and hose. Eat out twice a week? Make it twice a month and that could be anywhere from 80 to 300 saved depending on where I choose to eat.

Based on the feed back I get and having serviced and used a number of regs from many mfg's I consider the HOG's high end tech regs at excellent prices and the Edge regs as high end recreational regs at great prices. Look at the features - balanced sealed diaphragms, balanced adjustable seconds, great service, and great performers. I was using them for 3 years before I started selling them. I'm switching all my regs (10 now) to HOG and picking up an Epic or two for students and travel.

@Jim - thanks, I was looking at the pic, and saw the two second stage pieces and thought it was the full set up. I just looked again, and realized it was a profile view. I should've known it was too good to be true.

Ill send you an email shortly.

So i guess dollar for dollar the Epic Edge setup for $399 look most appealing.... but over budget :shocked2:

Thanks
-Terry

The HOG regs are NOT going to come with Yoke installed. I will be bringing in all the parts as a kit for somebody who want to remove the DIN assembley and replace it with a Yoke assembly. That will be in Feb or so. At about the same time the new EDGE regulators will be here as well, if you want yoke they are a better choice. they come with the hose, yoke and are optimized for recreational diving. the new EDGE Exp regulator which is a balanced diaphragm first stage, EDGE Flex braided Hose and balanced adjustable second stage will sell at $239, add a balanced nonadjustable octopus with 40" EDGEflex hose for 89.99.. Total damage is $329.98 and you will have a EXCEPTIONAL breathing regulator at an exceptional price.
The Edge Epic looks GREAT, however, the octo is sold seperately, and bumps the price up to almost $400.00, which is more than I am really looking to spend at the moment.

Edge Epic Custom Regulator Set @ Divers-Supply.com

Does anyone know when the HOG D1 sets are suppposed to come with a Yoke option?
The D1 set for the mid/upper $200 range seems perfectly priced,
with the solid endorsements, however, the conversion issues mentioned appear to disqualify it.

Troyce1,
Are you sure that the sherwood, mares, and cressi, include the octo? I am guessing that the prices you listed, it is for a 1 1st and 1 2nd stage. Thus you need to add the cost in from there to get the second/octo.
The Epic and Hog stage 1 are the same. I considered looking into a epic/ hog combo with stage 1 epic and stage 2 hog. For me it is not a fashion show, but rathar a function/cost decision.

Again I suggest that you look into what is the cost of annual service to the units you are considering. From what I have heard if you skip a year or service it may or maynot get expesive from that point on, as in no more free parts.

If your budget is really truely that tight you should consider the used Regs, as from what I read a well serviced reg is nothing to be conserned about. You can see that here just from the fact that many are diving regs that are 10+ years old.

I personally thought about a used reg but decided against it for 2 reasons.
1) I did not feel that I knew enough to make a good used buy.
2) I know that I own things forever, even my daily driver car is 15 years old right now. Therefore I felt that if I bought a good new unit I will get many years out of it. Enough to say that over the course or time, The cost diff was nothing to even way into the decision.

As previously pointed out, I am new at all of this so we share that in common but it also means take my advise and dbl check it to your own satifaction.

Highflier

Oh one more thing, Unless you plan on moving into doubles you may be served better by the Hog D2. then the D1 for the first stage, Same price on both from what I have noticed. I am also going with the cold water version even though they will never see cold water. Mainly cause I like the idea of enviromentally sealing the unit. Just seems like it would be a longer laster item.

Highflier

Personally I'd stay away from the low end stuff.

is that comment based on the price or a specific issue you see with HOG/EDGE?

I think we all got thrown off by his octopus comment, I am now pretty sure he meant the second stage.
Troyce1,
Are you sure that the sherwood, mares, and cressi, include the octo? I am guessing that the prices you listed, it is for a 1 1st and 1 2nd stage. Thus you need to add the cost in from there to get the second/octo.
The Epic and Hog stage 1 are the same. I considered looking into a epic/ hog combo with stage 1 epic and stage 2 hog. For me it is not a fashion show, but rathar a function/cost decision.

Again I suggest that you look into what is the cost of annual service to the units you are considering. From what I have heard if you skip a year or service it may or maynot get expesive from that point on, as in no more free parts.

If your budget is really truely that tight you should consider the used Regs, as from what I read a well serviced reg is nothing to be conserned about. You can see that here just from the fact that many are diving regs that are 10+ years old.

I personally thought about a used reg but decided against it for 2 reasons.
1) I did not feel that I knew enough to make a good used buy.
2) I know that I own things forever, even my daily driver car is 15 years old right now. Therefore I felt that if I bought a good new unit I will get many years out of it. Enough to say that over the course or time, The cost diff was nothing to even way into the decision.

As previously pointed out, I am new at all of this so we share that in common but it also means take my advise and dbl check it to your own satifaction.

Highflier

Sorry for the confusion, I knew the Mares, Cressi etc did NOT come with octo and would add about 100 to the total. I thought the HOG DID come with an octo (because of the picture) which would've made all the prices comparable across the board.

Sorry for the confusion :)

Again, I did not know a TON about regs, and as stated have learned ALOT from this thread alone.

I don't mind spending more to get a better product, however I'm not looking to spend 500+ for a reg, at this point with the amount of diving I do annually, I'd rather just rent than spend that much. However, we usually go to St. John twice a year and shore dive, and owning vs. renting gear just makes smarter fiscal sense to me.

The new Edge Exp setup, sounds like it might be a great fit all around with the diaphram setup and being balanced. Are there any pics/links to this gear, or more specs?

Again, I really appreciate the input from both noob's and pros alike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom