pic from weekend trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30 once bubbled...
I just got back from a quick long weekend trip to the Similan, Richeliue Rock, Surin Island this past weekend. Played a bit more with stacked macro lens. Here is a shot from Richeliue Rock:
Oly C5050, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS125 strobe, 2x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, macro mode, zoom set at 80mm.

I'm curious about this stacked macro lens, assuming you have posted about this before I'll do a search. Can you give us an idea about the actual size of this shrimp? Was the final picture cropped or is this what you actually ended up with?

later

Steve

friscuba once bubbled...
ssra30 once bubbled...

I'm curious about this stacked macro lens, assuming you have posted about this before I'll do a search. Can you give us an idea about the actual size of this shrimp? Was the final picture cropped or is this what you actually ended up with?

later

Steve

Steve, the picture was not cropped. The shrimp was around 2 cm long or about three quarter of an inch.
I posted a couple of pictures before using stacked macro lens. Basically, with one macro lens, you get a bit more magnification and you can move closer to a subject than with just macro mode on your camera. With 2 macro lens, you get quite a bit more magnification on top of the reduced focal distance.
A friend of mine who uses SLR camera says that on his camera with 105mm macro lens, he can get 1:1 size on 35mm format, ie 2cm shrimp would fill almost 2/3 of his frame, for my setup, the shrimp is almost 1/2 the frame so it is not quite 1:1 on 35mm equavalent frame but it was quite easy to focus using the camera's autofocus.
Unfortunately imagestation only let me post a picture up to a certain size but certainly when looking at the picture on a good size monitor, the detail is quite excellent.

ssra30 once bubbled...
Dee, I have not been able to find anywhere else that I can set the zoom on the C5050. On the old C4040, you can set it as default setup when you first turn the camera on. My guess is that with the introduction of my mode in C5050, they took out that option and stick it in my mode setup instead.

Well, DRAT! I was hoping it was just my someteimers kicking in again. This is definately just one of those things the 4040 did better!

Not to neglect my Inon WAL/Domeport. Here are a few wide angle shots from the same trip. It is nice to be able to shoot whatever I want on every dive :)

fa573b38.jpg

fa573b42.jpg

fa573b3b.jpg

How do you like the Inon WA lens? Do you get an vignetting with it? I may be in the market for a new WA this spring. I'm wondring if I should go with another S&S or not.

I like the first two shots but the stingray is a bit too distorted for me. I'm finding I like the distance WA shots with the dome port but not the CFWA. Since I shoot alot of CFWA, I doubt I'll ever want to use a dome port.

Dee, I like the Inon pretty well. It is true that the closerr you are, the more distortion you will get. The blue spot stingray picture, the camera was a little over a foot away from it. Sometimes I wish I can take the domeport off the WAL underwater but that's not an option. However it is very suitable for the occasional whaleshark that comes by :)
If I remember correctly, the Inon WAL alone will give closer to 100 degree view where as Sea and Sea is closer to 90 degree.
My biggest complain about the Inon WAL/domeport is the weight.
Feel like my bicep gets pretty good workout after a dive with it :)
The other picture in another thread: snowstorm stuff, The background rock was about 4-5 feet away and there was not really much distortion at all.

ssra....what about any vignetting? Do you get any at all when zooming in or out with the WA? What about blurry edges, especially on the CFWA?

Dee, I am not sure how to answer this. All WAL will have some vignetting to a certain extent but since I have not try other WAL lens so I am not sure which is better or worse. Saying that the vignetting is not bad is probably not very helpful since it is all relative.
I notice some blurry edge on some pictures, again mostly on CFWA, especially when the background is quite far away from the subject such as in fish portrait (when the background is not all blue water). All of my wide angle shots were taken with the zoon set to 35mm. Lately I get rather lazy with zoom so I just set everything in my mode to either 80mm macro, 35mm macro for wide angle shot or 35mm regular mode and just move myself closer or further as needed. Looking back at some of my old pictures, I would say that I notice more problem with blurry edge when I was using the WAL alone. The domeport seems to help that problem quite a bit.
Overall I think I am very please with the WAL/domeport combo, again since there is really no other products in the same category to compare with, all I can say is that this is as good as I can get with my camera setup :) I guess I am being rather vague and not so helpful here.

Uh...maybe I should have been more specific! Like, Have you ever used the WA without the dome port?

One reason I really liked the S&S WA on the 4040/PT10 is I get no vignetting whether I'm zooming or not. I've only notice minimal blurring in the very corners and you usually have to be looking for it to see it.

I think I'll just try it on the 5050/PT15 and see if I get the same good results. If so, it's a no brainer which to buy again.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.

OK, I did use the Inon WAL alone for a bit before I got the domeport. Here are a couple of pics with the Inon WAL alone.
jacks_std.jpg

turtle_std.jpg

The turtle picture is a bit more problematic. Honestly I still have not quite figure out exactly when the WAL seems to work well and when I will get more distortion. Still play with it and learn.
Both were taken with my old C4040 set to 35mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom