Physical thread size??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
What is an exact physical thread size of the most common tanks both AL and HP tanks?

I know it is ¾” NPSthe American National Standard Free-Fitting Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread also known as NPS”). Is 3/4 inch an actual physical thread size?

I got the following description from McMaster though.

"There are a number of threads that are compatible with NPT threads. They are NPTF (Dryseal), NPSC (National Pipe Straight Coupling), and NPSL (National Pipe Straight Locknut"

I am not sure if a NPS is compatible with NPT?

Any expertise?

I am supposed to get a threaded bushing.

Thanks in advance,:)

I know that one...

It was from www.diveriteexpress.com..

As you see, my quote ("the American National Standard Free-Fitting Straight Mechanical Pipe Thread also known as NPS&#8221:wink: from that link..

BTW, do you still have DUI DS? :wink:

hoosier:
I am not sure if a NPS is compatible with NPT?
No

NPS is a straight thread like on a bolt and commonly used as the thread in a scuba cylinder

NPT is a sister thread but is tapered and is commonly found in plumbing.

Pete

spectrum:
No

NPS is a straight thread like on a bolt and commonly used as the thread in a scuba cylinder

NPT is a sister thread but is tapered and is commonly found in plumbing.

Pete

Pete... Thanks as usual....

So, there is no threaded bushing option.....:huh: :huh: :huh: .

The ¾” straight pipe thread has a major diameter of around 1.03” and 14 threads per inch.
See the references below, page 1662:

PipethreadsP1661.jpg

PipethreadsP1662.jpg

Below are dimensions for straight thread tube fittings. This would be applicable for the LP and HP ports on a regulator (indicated by arrows).

Straightthreadtubefitting.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom