Phuket, why I never go back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people go diving they usually stay somewhere. So why isn't it o.k. for the OP to state a place and what happened to him. For those going there it might help them avoid the place that could could cause a bad trip.

rockjock3, I think you and the others who share your opinion are basically right. I don't don't have any objection to a diver telling his own horror story as a warning to others.

I do think the OP painted with quite a broad brush, though, and speaking as someone who lives and works on Phuket, that is what most bothers me about the warning.

In other words, even if events unfolded exactly as the OP states (and the story does raise a number of questions), I don't feel he should condemn the entire island as a result. Yes, by all means he should go ahead and warn people about staying at that particular hotel, but I would prefer a bit more objectivity in order to keep the warning targeted on the real culprits rather than condemning the rest of us who merely live in the neighborhood.

By and large, Phuket is a safe place even if a few visitors do become victims (as they do in all parts of the world).

I would suggest that the OP also post this info on tripadvisor.com , it is one more thing that ppl can use to determine where they should stay.

If you go to phuket, spend the extra money for a sofitel, sheraton or other big name hotels. You get more peace of mid.
Now that is IMO really bad advice, and will make sure you overpay.

I have been to phuket, it is a big city.
Strange, unless you were staying in Phuket Town? Phuket is an island, maybe you mean Patong?

Strange, unless you were staying in Phuket Town? Phuket is an island, maybe you mean Patong?

I have been to Patong, Surin, and Phuket Town, to me they were like a mini bangkok, they are all overcrowd in my opinion. I have looked at some of the local hotels. And I did not care for the accommodations.

And no I do not think it is bad advice, some people want the added piece of mine. And you do get what you pay for. I see the hotels the backpacking Europeans kids stay at. Would I stay there, no. Not my thing. And if you know where to look, you do get deals on the big name hotels.

stevenl:
Lets see.. Mugged in my room or overcharged?
Tough choice..

I look at it this way, the Le Meridien Khoa Lak did get the police out there when I had a scooter incident. They arranged for the doctor, and put the expense on my bill. They did not go into my safe to get cash to pay the bill. The big name hotels have an imagine they want to maintain, they do go the extra miles to ensure their guess gets the best treatment.

My last trip to Thailand, I stay at the Sofitel Karbi, I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. Everything I added to my stay was billed to me at the end, no need to pay upfront. So I was fine not carrying that much cash. I was papered beyond belief, and for the extra 23 dollars a night vs a local higher end hotel in Ao Nang, well worth the extra expense. You do get what you pay for. Got free yoga, mauy thai kickboxing class and a host of other free activities.

So for the added piece of mind and complete pampering treatment for 8 night the extra 220 bucks was worth every cent. Remember that people go to Thailand for a vacation, so why not treat yourself. And like others have said, mugging vs being pampered in a safe environment, I take the pampered in a blink of an eye.

Same thing happened to me. Except when i woke up, i was in a bath of ice water and missing both kidneys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom