Phuket, why I never go back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad story.
But nothing to do with scuba diving or any diving operators in Phuket.

Moderators, please remove the op

And being from Koh Tao, I love a good Phuket bashing. But this........

Waiting for Aquanobs.................

From this section was Bowmouth's suggestion! You are taking this out of context. As for the quote you reference it is one person not everyone posting from Thailand.

"Moderators, please remove the op" I do not think it should be removed but rather placed in non diving section, that was my point.

Thai Visa would be a better place to post this particular incident.

It will be very useful if rick.r (original poster) followed up with details and clarification on this incident. I think his account was a bit confusing.

If his unfortunate ordeal was related to diving (ex. incident occured at a dive resort or dive staff were somehow involved), then it would be relevant and informative in SB. Otherwise, there are more appropriate sections for this sort of threads - such as the "Non-Diving Related" section. Or if he wants to warn the travelling public, Lonely Planet or one of the many popular travel blogs and websites would be good places.

Well, at least this thread is good for cheap entertainment. At this point that's the only value I see in it. Without having anymore input from the op regarding details, it is only clear someone had a bad experience.

But without knowing what reason the person was in Phuket, it is currently a pointless flame of the area. If the person was in Phuket on a dive trip and encountered random violence, of course it is relevant. If the person put themselves in a bad position and paid the price, it would belong on another forum, not SB. Who knows, and without details, it is not relevant to me.

Edit. I agree with Louie.

Its more relevant if he was there to dive than if he was there to shop for a silk shirt, exactly why?
Because the result or events changes with wether or not hes got a regulator in his bag? Cmon..

Anybody that says this has nothing to do with diving is right. BUT, since when is there nothing other than diving discussed in a sub-forum? I asked about resorts. I have participated in similar threads to this about Bonaire. To say this should not be allowed simply because the OP does not mention water? Just silly. I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks in Novemeber and I'll tell you something.....I would rather be warned about such things (I do not belive the OP in this instance though) than to have someone delete the posts just so someone's part of the world does not get tarnished.

Its more relevant if he was there to dive than if he was there to shop for a silk shirt, exactly why?
Because the result or events changes with wether or not hes got a regulator in his bag? Cmon..

Sure, if all he was shopping for was silk shirt, I agree. I absolutely do not know why he was there, and it is entirely possible things went wrong for unknown reasons.

But some times people go to Phuket looking for things not as safe or legal as a silk shirt. In those cases, they take the full responsibility for their actions. This is the sort of situation that would make it irrelevant on a scuba forum. That is only my opinion, and in no way am I saying the op was involved in anything less innocent than buying the silk shirt. Just trying to say, it would really be helpful to know more details.

Carry on...

I did a search and read the previous Rick.r posting and it would seem that he is not a sock puppet and does go to some places to scuba dive. Lived in CA, looks like doing a long term stay in Bali and having some ATM problems and I guess also did a trip to Phuket. Most likely for diving although he does not say so.

He does not seem to post very often or check and respond to posts. So I think we need to consider this one to be a legit back situation that happened to a fellow poster and diver. It unfortunate and highlites the need to be careful when traveling and staying in places that you are not familiar with by yourself. In every country there are good and bad people and Thailand is no exception.

John

I am going to Thailand for 3 weeks in Novemeber and I'll tell you something.....I would rather be warned about such things (I do not belive the OP in this instance though) than to have someone delete the posts just so someone's part of the world does not get tarnished.

Steve, I note that you are going to Thailand in November. You don't mention that you will be there for diving. Therefore I have had to report your post to the moderators for deletion. Sorry. New rules.

:p

"has nothing to do with.." are you stupid? The guy got rolled up in his hotel room while on a dive trip...DUH. Why should his post be removed? Because you dont want to offend someone? That's one spot I'm taking off my list. You got a legitmate beef.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom