Phuket, why I never go back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive never had any problem traveling around the world either, doesnt mean that others dont.
I never got shot while I was in the army, that dont mean nobody in my company did?
That an area was quiet (or a death trap) 5 years ago doesnt mean that things cant change with time either and to be hontest id rather take another tourists view on things over someone actually having an obvious interest in me spending money there. Ill also take security analysts advice over any tourist as well.

Claiming that this has "nothing to do with diving" is all wrong in my ears.
Why? Because lots of people go or want to go there for the purpose of diving! Or is the diving industry in Thailand also irrelevant? Thailand is on my list of "things to do" and a single report like this on a forum doesnt make we scratch it off the list..

Its also kinda interesting that people who LIVE in the area speak of how they never have any incidents for another reason. Its pretty clear to me that wherever you go, locals and tourists can usually be distinguished pretty easilly and they ARE treated different from eachother, wether we like to admitt it or not!

Its also kinda interesting that people who LIVE in the area speak of how they never have any incidents for another reason. Its pretty clear to me that wherever you go, locals and tourists can usually be distinguished pretty easilly and they ARE treated different from eachother, wether we like to admitt it or not!

Well I do not live in Thailand. I am Canadian and have lived in the USA for the last 19 yrs. I have been to Thailand around 20 times in the last 7-8 years and with trip duration from 3 weeks to 2 months. Aside from a Thai Cab driver trying to rip me off by overcharging for a trip I have had no problems.

In fact I feel much more comfortable and safe walking around Thailand at night then I do in any US city downtown.

I agree with the posters that say there is more to this story then what has been shared and that it can (and does) happen in any other country.

Its an unfortunate event for the OP but having seen more than my share of poor behaving or drunk tourist at some of the thai destinations it would be interesting to know the entire story to determine if the OP did not use good judgement and placed himself in some compromising situation as many others have done in the past.

John

I find it interesting that the hotel didn't want him to call the police. It's also interesting that everyone posting from thailand wants the post censored.

It's also interesting that everyone posting from thailand wants the post censored.

Hmmm, where did you read that?

The thing that bugs me about the OP's post is that:
A: the story does not seem to be complete, at all
B: it has nothing to do with diving
C: there hasn't been any new clarifying posts from him/her after the initial post

If someone wants to start a "crime-thread" here then that's fine with me but let him or her at least insert the word "diver", "diving" and/or "reef" a few times in the story to make it look like a "real" Scubaboard post.

:D

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the hotel didn't want him to call the police. It's also interesting that everyone posting from thailand wants the post censored.
Exactly. And Its rather obvious that their REAL concern is not the fact that the OP didnt state he was diving..

Exactly. And Its rather obvious that their REAL concern is not the fact that the OP didnt state he was diving..

Yo Tiger!
And tell me then; what is according to you our "real" concern?
Covering up Phuket's (or even better; Thailand's) low-life criminal activities?
You really are entertaining me here!!

I agree with Bomouuth as I don't read anyone wanting to censor it. Getting more of the facts would be interesting. I am sure more crime happens than is generally reported but this does seem very much out of the norm.

Where are all the "this is not diving related" asians when people talk about incidents in other locations?
Oh, that right, its ok to talk bad about other places..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom