Phuket: how is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I may come to Phuket or somewhere close to it.
How is diving there? something special? Wracks ?:D
Some operator who makes different things than mainstream?
I am a bit bored of looking corals at 10-20 meter.....something more amazing
(recently dived a wrack in Croatia at 47+ meter with almost infinity visibility, something like that)

Well, no wrecks at 47+ meters with infinite vis around Phuket. I'd have to say that the great majority of our diving here is what you might call mainstream. Lots of fish; lots of coral. But if the authorities get their act together, there's supposed to be a new artificial reef installed off the northwest shore of Phuket. It's the subject of quite a lot of discussion in this thread. Maybe that would qualify for 'different'?

Well, no wrecks at 47+ meters with infinite vis around Phuket. I'd have to say that the great majority of our diving here is what you might call mainstream. Lots of fish; lots of coral. But if the authorities get their act together, there's supposed to be a new artificial reef installed off the northwest shore of Phuket. It's the subject of quite a lot of discussion in this thread. Maybe that would qualify for 'different'?

Sounds nice! By chance do you have a link to a list of good spots in the area?
Do you think October is good for Phuket (actually thinking for Yao Yai or Noi)? Or will there be the full rain?
Thanks

Sounds nice! By chance do you have a link to a list of good spots in the area?
Do you think October is good for Phuket (actually thinking for Yao Yai or Noi)? Or will there be the full rain?
Thanks

October? Oh, well. No chance of the sunken airplanes, then, I'm afraid.
It does rain a lot in October, but not usually all day every day.
For a list of dive sites/descriptions, you can check here. Scroll down past the left-hand ads and there's a short listing of the major sites out of Phuket. For other Andaman areas, scroll down a little more and click on the destination name.

Hi there, here's another link for dive sites around our area; Sharkpoint is one of the top dives near Phuket and is known for its incredible and numerous marine life.
As Quero said, chance of rain in October, but hey, we get wet anyway!
From here in Krabi, we've got a good selection of sites. The King Cruiser max depth is 32m. always plenty to see, but it's not what I'd call a wreck for purists who like penetration, but great for the marine life there. Only yesterday I found a small honeycomb moray eel.

Agreed that the diving right around Yao Yai isn't thrilling, but he could still stay there and dive with a local op that does speedboat trips out to many of the usual sites: Phi Phi, Shark Point, Anemone Reef, King Cruiser.

Yes, but that gives way longer transfers and/or all the "comforts" of speedboat diving.

IMO staying in one of the areas closer by is much more comfortable, which is why I recommended that.

Quite agree, stay in one of the main areas for comfort and bigger boats. We go out night diving a couple of times a week during high season, this time of year we do a weather check before going out. Something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom