Photoshop elements vs. Picasa2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there much difference between these? I downloaded the Picasa2 and was pleased with the results. Does the Photoshop Elements add another level upward?

Thanks

There is a LOT more available in Photoshop Elements, but if Picasa does what you want, why pay for the much greater complexity of Elements? I have both, and I must confess that I rarely open Elements anymore. Now, having said that, I must admit that Picasa has definite limits, and you will no doubt occasionally run into these. This is where Elements shows it's far greater power. But for most of your shots, Picasa works admirably. And for free, it is very hard to beat, IMHO.:wink: Woody

what's the website for picasa so i can download for free?
thx guys.

sunkarm:
what's the website for picasa so i can download for free?
thx guys.

I have Picasa and had no idea it could do much of anything I have never really looked at it, I thnk I will now :D

Picasa is a product of Google, not sure if you need a Gmail address to get it or not, I am sure someone who does know will post soon.

Picasa is free and downloadable from http://picasa.google.com/

I love it very much, to organize my photos and sometimes to create gift CDs. but for image corrections, I use the free Gimp (http://www.gimp.org), not as powerful as Photoshop but for something that's free it's unbeatable. The same goes to Picasa.

p/s : you only need Gmail account if you want to publish the photos using Picasa, otherwise if it's only for local image indexing and management, not needed.

The two products are very different

Picasa is an excellent program to organise, search and do basic fixes on an image. But for more flexibility with image touch-ups you will need something like Photoshop Elements or CS.

A big difference is that Picasa has preset filters and effects that it can apply to the whole image. You have much more control with Photoshop.

The only basic editing that I don't think Picasa does very well is brightness/contrast. It allows you to increase the highlights or shadows, but doesn't give proper less-or-more brightness and contrast controls.

As I said, Picasa is limited, and the contrast issue is one that I have also run up against. But for free.....and it also allows one to become experienced in photo editing and manipulation, and then one grows naturally into more complex programs as one's needs mature. Kind of like using a basic point and shoot camera at first, then upgrading as one grows. Welcome to the slippery slope.:D Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom