Photoshop elements vs. Picasa2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Picasa ROCKS, for those of us that hate the tedium of more advance programs.

The original stay on "locate on disc"...to undo, hit the bar at the bottom of the image it says UNDO....my speed.

I use B/W, sepia a lot. "I'm feeling lucky"..the best button in the world.

In my perfect world, I could pay to outsource an image about once a month or so..the big time "keepers". 99% of my shots are just not worthy of that much time.

I have CS 2 and haven't opened it yet. I should, I have hit the brick wall, I dread it so much, so why do it? I would rather be here or diving or anything but focused. (ADD probably) Nothing like instant gratification...my downfall.

...wow. I need to take a look. It would be really nice to get rid of backscatter sometimes.

CompuDude:
IIRC, Picassa is non-destructive, so you may be able to "revert to saved" or something like that. (Haven't run it in a while.) The original should be intact.

Or, I'm remembering wrong. :)
You're remembering correctly. Things like cropping don't even change the file. The crop points are just stored as x-y coordinates in the picassa.ini file it puts into each pix folder. Same sort of thing for a lot of other basic adjustments.

If you do something like red-eye removal that actually mangles pixes, then Picassa first generates a subfolder "originals" in the same folder as the pic, and then stores the original file in that folder.

The relocation of the file by Picassa does mess up Photoshop Elements sometimes, as the original isn't where it was recorded in the PSE Catalog. It only takes a second to reconnect the file, though.

-------------

I find Picassa quick and easy to use, and more than adequate for almost all of my land-based shots, but I do use PSE for most underwater shots since it does a better job adjusting colors. PSE is also the program for things like noise reduction filters, cloning out of extraneous objects from the background (yes, yes, proper composition would avoid that need :) ), and the Enhance|Adjust Image|Shadows/Highlights tool does a far bettter job and bring underexposed areas up out of the shades than does the Picassa Fill Flash tool.

Charlie Allen

I also use photoshop for all my underwater shots. It is more expensive, but i "borrowed" mine from my opa (grandpa) because we got it for him with his dig camera, but he doesent use it. He just uses the things a ritz camera. SCORE here is a photo im currently working on:
stmaartenapr06max091.jpg

Thats the origional ^
stmaartenapr06max091_edited.jpg

This is the one edited with photo shop. All that i did was change the colors a little bit. Notice the reds in the rock around the fan coral and the bluish tint is lessended.

kind of realted question: If i can just edit the color in my pictures with PS than do i need to buy a strobe too (considering asking for one from santa). justleesa, do u use a strobe? sorry for getting kina off topic and thanks

The picture I used here was taken with an internal stobe (stylus 400) and lots of PS magic. With a strob you will notice a big difference in your pictures and need to do less PS'ing.

i have downloaded the irfan files but it was in a zip file and don't know how to use them.can somebody show me?

when you go to the file in your explorer you should see something to the left that says extract all files, click that and the file will un-zip and you should be able to run it from there.
zip.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom