Photoshop elements vs. Picasa2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.
Some IrfanView features:

* Many supported file formats (click here the list of formats)
* Multi language support
* Thumbnail/preview option
* Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
* Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
* Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
* Fast directory view (moving through directory)
* Batch conversion (with image processing)
* Multipage TIF editing
* File search
* Email option
* Multimedia player
* Print option
* Change color depth
* Scan (batch scan) support
* Cut/crop
* IPTC editing
* Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
* Capturing
* Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
* Lossless JPG rotation
* Many hotkeys
* Many command line options
* Many PlugIns
* Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like "I Agree" or "Evaluation expired"
* No registry changes without user action/permission!

It also does RAW format
http://www.irfanview.com/

Well I investigated further with Picasa, and started to edit 3 photos, I did not save the changes but it won't let me undo (or at least I did not find the undo), so I left them in a suspended mode, and exited the program. I guess I will see the next time I go into the program.

I use elements all the time. I like elements as there are many controls and choices, much more than other programs like image expert. I will admit each program shines in some areas but I've found ....so far... that elements has what I need.

I got Photoshop V3 when I bought my Epson Photo Printer and I use it exclusively on my desktop computer for photo touch-up and printing. I downloaded Picassa a while back to use on my laptop for resizing pics for web uploads.

Haven't done anything more with Picassa than re-sizing but I'm sure it does a whole lot more based on the drop down features.

Elements requires a little time and patience. I used Picassa (for re-sizing) moments after downloading it without reading anything about it ...it's very intuitive.

Footslogger:
Elements requires a little time and patience. I used Picassa (for re-sizing) moments after downloading it without reading anything about it ...it's very intuitive.
There you have the critical difference. Elements requires an investment of time and learning to use efficently, but what it can give you is amazing. Picasa is almost able to run itself, if your needs are not too extreme. You pays your money (or not :D ) and takes your choice. Good luck. Woody

LindaBluedolphin:
Well I investigated further with Picasa, and started to edit 3 photos, I did not save the changes but it won't let me undo (or at least I did not find the undo), so I left them in a suspended mode, and exited the program. I guess I will see the next time I go into the program.
IIRC, Picassa is non-destructive, so you may be able to "revert to saved" or something like that. (Haven't run it in a while.) The original should be intact.

Or, I'm remembering wrong. :)

CompuDude:
IIRC, Picassa is non-destructive, so you may be able to "revert to saved" or something like that. (Haven't run it in a while.) The original should be intact.

Or, I'm remembering wrong. :)

We'll see I will check it out when I get home. The beauty if digital is I can now take 25 shots of the same thing if I want, and keep the one(s) I like best. I was playing with one that I DID NOT like the best :D Thanks for the tip.

I love Picasa, for something free you can't really go wrong. If you are trying to get a picture back that you have worked on, you should be able to just go into the picture and then click "undo save". I haven't had a problem with it "eating" pictures so that I can't get them back.

Like the others say, it depends on what you want to do. For some Picasa is enough....for others, Elements will just be the start of the journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom