Photos from Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike V. Did you get my PM?

Pak, I was diving solo at Blue Corner in November last year with NO current. It was kind of erie with no one else around...

Diver Dennis:
Pak, I was diving solo at Blue Corner in November last year with NO current. It was kind of erie with no one else around...

Actually on one of our Blue Corner dives, the current was dead and the vis was bad as we meandered around the plateau. I had gone off by myself after following an eagle ray. Then I started to notice a single grey shark taking interest in me... nice, I thought, I'd take some pictures... Turn around, find another had joined him. Maybe they sensed I was the weak one of the pack... :rofl3: but then they ended scattering once the rest of the group came into site

Mike Veitch:
express is over rated crap... sharks don't come close, there are less of them too

Blue Corner far exceeds it

But as NJ mentions, Fakarava shark population makes Palau look like the white tips at Canyons...

Mike....the 2 times I've been down to the express I was not impressed....I've seen more sharks when there is a good current going when you are doing the wall and you reach the cut...And Hold ON!

Wolverine.....Fakarava is in Tahiti.....when Mike says there are Sharks....They are all over.....as many or more than the Best day at the Blue Corner.

pakman:
Actually on one of our Blue Corner dives, the current was dead and the vis was bad as we meandered around the plateau. I had gone off by myself after following an eagle ray. Then I started to notice a single grey shark taking interest in me... nice, I thought, I'd take some pictures... Turn around, find another had joined him. Maybe they sensed I was the weak one of the pack... :rofl3: but then they ended scattering once the rest of the group came into site

Last year the 5 or 6 dives I did at the Blue Corner the current was either not happening or ripping so much...was not worth hooking in.....Last year was the first time I really saw the Plateau on the non current days....saw Sharks, big Jacks, Wrasses all munching away on something and taking there turn...stayed about 10' away...as those gentle Wrasses...looked awful mean when they are hungry......also saw a large school of Big Bump Head parrot fish and many other schools of fish.....I had never had the time before to see the Blue Corner like that.

Travelnsj:
saw Sharks, big Jacks, Wrasses all munching away on something and taking there turn...stayed about 10' away...as those gentle Wrasses...looked awful mean when they are hungry

ah that must have been the resident Napoleon Wrasse and his posse of reef sharks and jacks. Our DM was telling us to keep an eye out for them. I've seen videos of them at work. It's just wierd, this gang of reef sharks and jacks being led by a big Napoleon Wrasse! The white tips will get their head into coral, and then the jacks and the wrasse come darting in... hilarious...

pakman:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I think they would be more interested in Larry...:wink:

There is a lot of life there and it seems that a lone diver attracts more. One of my favorite spots is back from the corner towards shallower water, especially when there is a lot of current. There seems to always be less back there and you can get great shots of schooling Barracuda and Jacks, not to mention a lot of Turtles sometimes.

Tim's a fair old mouthful for a reef shark, and Mike's not exactly anorexic. Come to think of it, Dennis, neither are you...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom