Photographers please work on your buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina, I'm not quite as diplomatic as you and I'll do something about it during the dive but in a nice way. I will also talk to them up top and let them know I was just helping. Almost always they understand and a smile goes a long way. Most of the photographers I've seen or have been diving with seem to be more aware of their proximity to reefs.

I say shoot all photographers....damn menace!!!

:wink:

Oops, allow me to edit this after actually reading the other posts.... :wink:

Shoot all turtles and parrotfish as well, destroying the underwater environment....they have no right to do that!!!

(said with tongue tucked so far into cheek its coming out my freaking ear!!!!!)
Sorry but thats the worst form of freakin logic i have ever heard....

Mike Veitch:
...(said with tongue tucked so far into cheek its coming out my freaking ear!!!!!)

Hey, Mike... quit your "Yap"ing!

Mike Veitch:
You've been wanting to say that for a while haven't you?!? :D

Yea, Bill is soooo loveable but YOU KNOW he lays awake at night thinking that he is gonna say that! that was good, MIke. Now stop messing around and ask The Bali people whats up with their slacker ways.

PS Bill, I have some Avalon pics for you. A blast from the past..... the best time in my entire life, was there.

catherine96821:
Yea, Bill is soooo loveable but YOU KNOW he lays awake at night thinking that he is gonna say that! that was good, MIke. Now stop messing around and ask The Bali people whats up with their slacker ways.

PS Bill, I have some Avalon pics for you. A blast from the past..... the best time in my entire life, was there.

I am loveable, aren't I? Actually I fell asleep last night with thoughts of what I was going to write in a PM to a fellow SB member... and remembered it in the morning.

Look forward to the Avalon pix, Catherine. Gulp... if the best time in your life was whgen you were here, maybe I shouldn't consider moving there like I have been!

Mike Veitch:
I say shoot all photographers....damn menace!!!

:wink:

Oops, allow me to edit this after actually reading the other posts.... :wink:

Shoot all turtles and parrotfish as well, destroying the underwater environment....they have no right to do that!!!

(said with tongue tucked so far into cheek its coming out my freaking ear!!!!!)
HEY MIKE dont forget, we yes we and that does mean you too shoot back, with our cameras, well we can shoot anyway

JamesD:
Actually on this note, I'm curious, are there any statistics for amount of damage done by say divers, as opposed to say fishermen or military or...

Just curious, someone said to me the other day they think divers should be stopped because they are destroying the coral reef, and while that is true to some extent (I'm sure in general divers aren't HELPING the situation) I think the amount of damage done by divers in general is trival when compared to other segments of the population.

Thoughts?

I attended a seminar in Oz and the marine biologist said diver damage to reefs is neglagable the main culprit to declining reefs is run off.

mjh:
I understand that there are other offenders much worse than divers but why add to the damage? Inevitably on return to the dive boat a bad diver who happens to have a camera gives all of us a bad reputation.

The real question is what do we do about them, gauge draggers, and new divers struggling with their buoyancy? I am starting to think maybe it is time that more experienced divers make an attempt to help the worst of the offenders. Possibly approach them between dives but how do you start this conversation?

1/I saw your gauge dragging, you might want to clip it up as they can get full of sand and it may not work when you most need it.

2/ I saw you brush against some coral you might want to swim a little more above it as it can brake into very small pieces and get stuck in your wet suite. It can still cut/sting on the surface when you take your suite off.

At least it gets you started on the right foot with the conversation.

cdiver2:
I attended a seminar in Oz and the marine biologist said diver damage to reefs is negligible the main culprit to declining reefs is run off.

If I already said this, I apologize.
I agree. The same people that are screaming "don't touch the nudi's---ever" are exterminating their homes for ants every three months. I came from the SoCal burbs and know the mentality. Its not just informing others, its "I know better than you...".and then they drive their kids round trip ten times a day in an SUV instead of making them stoop to take the bus. Seriously, if everybody used just half as many chemicals that would help more than not fondling the slugs. And don't dump everything down the disposal! It flows right into the ocean...or so I have been told...

Back
Top Bottom