Photographers please work on your buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try not to touch anything but sand when I'm doing UW photo although I really don't like touching sand either. I've heard too many stories of divers getting minor cuts because they thought they were touching sand but didn't see that there was something else under the sand. Ouch!

The skill curve for photographers is extremely rapid. The real problem is for new divers that drag out a giant camera system following their checkouts and proceed to wreak havoc on the ecosystem. :11doh:

JamesD:
Actually on this note, I'm curious, are there any statistics for amount of damage done by say divers, as opposed to say fishermen or military or...

Just curious, someone said to me the other day they think divers should be stopped because they are destroying the coral reef, and while that is true to some extent (I'm sure in general divers aren't HELPING the situation) I think the amount of damage done by divers in general is trival when compared to other segments of the population.

Thoughts?
Have you ever seen a reef which was the victim of dynamite fishing? Hard to imagine divers holding on with a finger or two could inflict comperable damage.

I've also seen turtles as well as other aquatic life munching on coral.

We are much more fortunate on the rocky reefs of the kelp forests in that our subjects are less sensitive than those on coral reefs. Of course it is always important to minimize any contact. Fortunately we can find rock handholds that can be used to steady ourselves. When I'm filming around coral reefs, I must be much more sensitive and in optimum control of my bouyancy.

However, I do draw the line at sand. I will set down on it, generally spread eagled to distribute any weight uniformly, and film my subjects. Sandy bottoms are notoriously dynamic under most conditions and the critters that live on them are most often infauna that quick retract when something approaches them. I am still careful, but feel no qualms given that reasonable care.

As for divers that dangle their consoles and octos, or kick the coral, or fall upon it breaking off large slabs (as I watched one instructor certified by a certain 4-letter acronym do), that is just plain poor dive technique.

I understand that there are other offenders much worse than divers but why add to the damage? Inevitably on return to the dive boat a bad diver who happens to have a camera gives all of us a bad reputation.

The real question is what do we do about them, gauge draggers, and new divers struggling with their buoyancy? I am starting to think maybe it is time that more experienced divers make an attempt to help the worst of the offenders. Possibly approach them between dives but how do you start this conversation?

mjh:
Possibly approach them between dives but how do you start this conversation?

Too often I've seen it begin "You idiot, don't you know you were damaging the reef when you (a) grabbed hold of that coral, (b) kicked it with your fins, (c) landed on top of that gorgonian or (d) all of the above."

Such an approach is guaranteed to raise the offending party's defenses and they may have been unaware of what they were doing. I've seen so many divers who exhibit a lack of situational awareness. For example, I had an entire dive class (instructor included) WALK on top of me as I lay on the sand filming an anemone. Had two divers come within a foot of me while filming on a reef and place their hands right on my subject.

Situational awareness is also something that is often lacking topside as well. Oncoming pedestrians will often walk right into you if you don't call out and warn them to get on their side of the sidewalk. These things absolutely amaze me... maybe too many cell phones and MP3 players to tune out the real environment they are in. At least that's not a problem UW... yet.

dlndavid:
Some of the best buoyancy skills I have seen have been those of photographers.
It is amazing how they can hover right in on their subject with perfect buoyancy
and then leave the scene without even a flicker of sand or coral.
whacky027.gif

Well said. That's because they don't want their photo full of stirred-up sand.
Overall, I think photo divers are more conscious of the reef than non-photo divers.

I usually carry a large plastic tent stake and wear it on my left wrist on a lanyard. If needed I use it to to balance on the sand or section of rock/lava to take a photo.

mjh:
Inevitably on return to the dive boat a bad diver who happens to have a camera gives all of us a bad reputation.

The real question is what do we do about them, gauge draggers, and new divers struggling with their buoyancy? I am starting to think maybe it is time that more experienced divers make an attempt to help the worst of the offenders. Possibly approach them between dives but how do you start this conversation?

Excellent points. I firmly believe that all "experienced divers" and all photographers carry special responsibilities to be better role models and to help divers become the best they can be.

I have this conversation on almost every dive trip I do :) Just be nice and don't be nasty. Mention one thing you saw "Wasn't that bright red fan amazing? You know, if you double check to make sure your gauge is tucked to you tightly you can get in a little closer without touching anything. Here's how I tuck in mine to make sure it stays where I need it during the whole dive..."

Don't mention something without offering a solution that the diver can apply immediately.

alcina:
Excellent points...

Don't mention something without offering a solution that the diver can apply immediately.

And an excellent point yourself!

Back
Top Bottom