Photographers - I want your input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm just getting into scuba diving, but have been snorkeling for quite some time, and am looking to purchase a camera to go with scuba diving. I am (without question) an amateur when it comes to photography, but very intrigued by underwater photography. That said, I would like your input on what camera to buy. I'm looking for something under $500 which would take good pictures, and that I could accesorize when I had extra money (flash, color filters, etc.).

Thanks everyone!

John

Many people new to diving want to take their land based hobby below with them. I know I did. First let me tell you that new divers tend to have a problem holding still (good buoyancy control) long enough to take a good picture. Plus the added tasks of camera management can also frustrate new divers. Taking photographs underwater is not an easy thing, even for good divers. It is also not a cheap hobby. However, many learn fast and take some extraordinary pictures.

Now with that said, taking some snapshots is not a big deal. Get a little point and shoot, used from the Classifieds here or eBay. Try it out and see if it is something you really like to do. If it turns out that shooting quality photographs underwater is for you, be prepared to fork over some real money. By that I mean on the plus side of two grand to start. OTOH, you can take some nice pictures with a decent P&S with an external flash for well under $1,000.

I love shooting video underwater and I hope you end up loving the beautiful world of underwater photography as well. Good luck and be safe.

I was in your boat, wanted to shoot decent shots but didn't have buckets of cash (very needed in UW photography) and still have very little money.

So when my wife wanted a small camera (didn't like my big Sony F828) I suggested the new (at that time) Olympus 720 SW, that came as a waterproof camera right out of the box - no housing to ten feet deep (I've taken it to twenty without a problem), yet had 7 megapixel, and most of all the features of a decent digital for under 300 bucks.

Most of my friends were so impressed they all bought them, loved them, and now I'm jealous cuz they bought the most recent models that are guaranteed waterproof to 33 feet.

Google this camera and find a review where the guy took the camera to over sixty feet deep without problems, other than the pressure making the menu buttons impossible to use, but still shot pictures.

Its not an SLR, but I like mine still, (bought the housing for 130 bucks and I use the video feature quite often with my 24 watt HID as a video light and some stills).

With all due respect to what Blazinator said above, IMHO the Olympus 720 or any newer model of the waterproof line (SW) by Olympus is a bad choice. Fist off, they don't offer full manual control. Also, it doesn't offer custom white balance. Although the latest models are water proof to 33 feet, that is not a dept practical for diving so you're going to have to buy a housing anyway. You are paying a premium for it being waterproof in addition to also buying a housing, it can get costly.

Even a housing for a P&S camera will cost almost as much as the camera itself, you'll want a housing and camera combo that will give you room to grow. The first several times you use the set up, you'll probably set it in auto mode and just shoot away. As you get more comfortable with UW photography, you'll then want the ability to set your white balance at depth. Once you get the hang of setting your white balance you then be adjusting exposure compensations followed by manually setting either shutter speed and or aperture.

There are several good options out there from both Olympus and Canon that offer full manual control. Also both sell inexpensive branded housings for many of their offerings that would come in totaling under $500. Just a quick look in either the Olympus and Canon sub forums will revel what the current offerings are for each brand. I'm sorry I cannot specify a specific model but I believe the Canon A-series all offer full manual control and are well priced especially when paired with a Canon housing.

Lastly, just to echo Teamcasa's sentiments, get comfortable with diving before taxing yourself with UW photography. There is a lot going on and a lot to keep up with. I remember with about 50 dives under my belt, I was going to start setting my white balance at depth. Every time I would, my mind would totally go blank and I would forget what I was trying to accomplish. I would just get frustrated and use the UW white balance preset. It is a lot to juggle and you'll be surprised with how taxing it can be especially if your not experienced and comfortable in the water. Be safe and have fun.

Thanks Guys,

Blazinator, thanks for the suggestions, and I'll definitely check some of those out. However, I do agree with 'Driftin By' since 33', or even 60' won't do me much good since most of my dives have been in excess of 80'.

To 'Driftin' and Teamcasa, I completely understand and appreciate the advice on getting a hold of my surroundings prior to getting too caught up on UW photography, but I do know it is something I want to get into. That said, I know very little about UW photography, and not much more about photography in general (I don't even know what white balance does to be honest). Can any of you recommend any sites I can check out to read about the different light, color advantages/disadvantages of UW photography?

Also, in terms of cameras, I've been thinking about saving up for the SeaLife 1000, or a Sea & Sea model, but y'all didn't mention any of those... Now I'm really thrown off- I thought that buying some of the cameras which were made specifically to be used underwater would be better than buying a regular camera which can go in a case. My wife and I have a very nice 10MP camera, but NOBODY makes a housing for it except for an airtight plastic bag which is rated to 33 feet. I really appreciate your time, thoughts, and input. I know I'm a newbie, but everybody has to start somewhere, right?

Thanks everyone!

JP

Compact Camera & Housing with RAW capability and full manual control for under $500:

Canon S60 Powershot on ebay ($220)

Also at Amazon (for price comparison):
S60
Underwater Housing

Some sample pictures taken by the system in Indonesia.

I have a full Olympus system FS here in this forum. Excellent camera for the $$$ & even comes with a nice wide-angle lens I use for most shots. Only a couple $$$ more than you were looking to spend but worth the $$$, if you've got it. Even comes with an extra battery, all the flashcards you'll ever need & a 6-month service warantee.

JPENDERGRAST:
Can any of you recommend any sites I can check out to read about the different light, color advantages/disadvantages of UW photography?
You're already here! Scubaboard or wetpixel.com The great thing about it is that you can find specific information including settings and results about the camera/housing combo you're considering. For the most part everything else would be generalized theory which can also be found here in the stickies. And there is no shortage of discussions regarding the importance of white balance. So the best advice is to search, read and take notes and prepare yourself, it won't happen overnight.

Lots of excellent resources on this board for a newbie photographer, read as much as you can. Check out Scott Gietler's website Underwater Photography Guide.

You can definately spend $500 now for a housing and camera and get decent snapshots of fish and underwater scenes, particularly in tropical water. But once you want those photos to get better the costs can escalate real fast. A $500 compact G10 for instance with a guality housing, dual strobes, tray/arms and wet lens can end up around $4,000 - $5,000. A $800 DSLR body with housing, strobes, ports & lens, tray & arms can be $6,000- $8,000 and more, much more. Before you make any purchase try to understand all the options, which systems can grow or not, and figure out where you may want to go with this hobby.

Good luck and have fun.

I thoughly enjoyed my certification classes with Cathy Church on Grand Cayman and recommend reading her photo tips on-line as a good starting place. Practicing manual settings and white balance ABOVE water will get you ahead of things before trying to manipulate settings UW.
See Cathy's tips at her site cathychurch.com/phototips
Rod

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom