Photo education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny:
By the way, you should *never* crop in-camera with digital. Doing so degrades the pixels. Always crop in post-processing. processing. Art doesn't
Very interesting but how does cropping or moving the camera closer or around the subject “degrades” the pixels???

Visual cropping

“Crop your photos visually before you take them. Look into the corners of the viewfinder. Do you see things that shouldn't be there? You can remove, or crop, these elements from your photos simply by moving closer to your subject, zooming in on your subject, or moving your subject within the viewfinder. Try different angles. Look for anything that will diminish the impact of unwanted objects in your photos.”

Or

Can't I leave the cropping 'til later?
“If you are printing your own pictures then you get a second chance to get the cropping right, but don't rely on this to make up for sloppy camera technique. If you crop your pictures afterwards in the computer or in the darkroom, you are throwing away quality. You are wasting some of those precious pixels that you paid so much for. What's the point in having a camera with five million pixels if you are only going to use three million of them?”

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/composition.mspx

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorial_cropping.htm

Simple

1. Buy a digital camera that allows you to control the camera manually (f stop, shutter speed) such as a Nikon d200

2. ALWAYS shoot on manual, paying attention to your f-stop and shutter speed

3. SHOOT lots of photos and learn the camera and results from changing your F stop and shutter speed.

Thats it

Do you shoot Nikon DSLR?
I do, and I loved the Nikon School, really interesting.
Local courses will do good also!
Try also reading "Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" and some other books like it...

f3nikon:
Visual cropping

Composition by moving closer to the subject is *very* different than cropping in camera. Many cameras have a function where you can actual crop in camera, some by using digital zoom, some by actually cropping. They're a very sloppy way to crop.

"Visual cropping" as you define it is entirely different. It's important to use terms correctly. Having an understanding of the terms beyond book learning helps when explaining terms to others.

BurBunny:
Composition by moving closer to the subject is *very* different than cropping in camera. Many cameras have a function where you can actual crop in camera, some by using digital zoom, some by actually cropping. They're a very sloppy way to crop.

"Visual cropping" as you define it is entirely different. It's important to use terms correctly. Having an understanding of the terms beyond book learning helps when explaining terms to others.

I am not sure if you misread my comment or just trying to spin the issue, I said:

“Crop in camera as much as possible, not after the picture is taken.”

My statement clearly defines pre-process or BEFORE the picture is taken. Your example is defined as a form of post-process by using the camera’s electronics, AFTER the image is recorded.

So the real question is why would your post-process cropping via the camera electronics “degrades the pixels” and the more common post-process cropping via a computer will NOT “degrades the pixels”???

And the act of cropping the image (post processing) itself will NOT “degrades the pixels”. It’s when you blow up or increase the cropped image size to the size of the original image that you lose the image quality or as you stated “degrades the pixels”. If the image were cropped then left alone there will be no image quality lost with digital.

Very interesting that you would equate an uncommon practice of post-process cropping with the camera’s electronics to the more common term of cropping in camera via the viewfinder before recording the image. Because not all cameras have this feature, certainly not films, but not all digitals as well.

From your statement:

“Many cameras have a function where you can actual crop in camera, some by using digital zoom, some by actually cropping. They're a very sloppy way to crop.”

“Crop in camera” had always been a common term with film photographers that is why I included the links.

“Having an understanding of the terms beyond book learning helps when explaining terms to others.” I agree, it most certainly applies in this case after reading your statements.

f3nikon:
“Having an understanding of the terms beyond book learning helps when explaining terms to others.” I agree, it most certainly applies in this case after reading your statements.

Burbunny refers to the cropping done using the camera's internal software (which is sloppy as you can't see the detail of what you're cropping).

See? I can understand perfectly, and I believe most others can too. No need to be snide.

thepurplehammerhead:
Burbunny refers to the cropping done using the camera's internal software (which is sloppy as you can't see the detail of what you're cropping).

See? I can understand perfectly, and I believe most others can too. No need to be snide.

So just because one cannot see the detail clearly (because of the lower res. small LCD) does that also mean "degrades the pixels" or loss of quality in the final image?

From the posters first post:
"By the way, you should *never* crop in-camera with digital. Doing so degrades the pixels. Always crop in post-processing."

When the cropping in camera, that the poster is speaking of, is POST-PROCESSING just within the camera!

That is why I'am asking:
So the real question is why would your post-process cropping via the camera electronics “degrades the pixels” and the more common post-process cropping via a computer will NOT “degrades the pixels”???

Does not say anything about not seeing the image clearly via the camera's electronics.

Please read the entire post, that was not my quote, I just agreed to it.

Oh dear god.........
Someone shoot me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom