Philosophy split discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've reviewed what got cut. It boils down to this ... everything pro-PADI was allowed to stay in this thread. Everything refuting pro-PADI positions was removed to the Whine and Cheeze forum ... which is a statement that if you ain't on the PADI bandwagon, your opinion is worthless.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not entirely ..... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5067951-post78.html ..... this one was whine & cheesed and it's not exactly anti-PADI. Sure, it elicited a typical anti-PADI response that many of us have come to expect from SB but anti-PADI it is not.

...a typical anti-PADI response that many of us have come to expect

This type of statement in my view, forms the foundation of much of the discontent. What was undertaken (and successfully if I may say so), up to the disruption was a discussion on the various training philosophies of the certification agencies. If PADI received more attention, I would suggest that it was because its philosophy is different from every other certification agency world-wide, of which I'm aware.

It seems totally acceptable on SB to focus criticism (even hatred) towards an individual who was tried, convicted and served his time for a sexual offense (on another thread) and that's "acceptable." However if anyone disagrees with what PADI does in the diving industry, the only "acceptable" thing to do is remain quiet or your posts disappear or are moved to Whine and Cheese.

When has constructive criticism and honest concern equated to whining in our Society? Why can this topic not be discussed in good faith, without the authors of such posts be labeled as bashers or whiners?

Although I'm off-topic, if an anti-PADI response was prevalent on SB, a wise man would step back and wonder why this was the case? Perhaps there is a reason? What could it be?

It seems totally acceptable on SB to focus criticism (even hatred) towards an individual who was tried, convicted and served his time for a sexual offense (on another thread) and that's "acceptable." However if anyone disagrees with what PADI does in the diving industry, the only "acceptable" thing to do is remain quiet or your posts disappear or are moved to Whine and Cheese.

PADI is analogous to a sexual predator? :rofl3:

Kingpatzer:
PADI is analogous to a sexual predator?

I thought it was a poor analogy myself, but I didn't see that as his point.

I believe he was trying to say SB allows us to write bad things about someone who has paid their debt to society and should theoretically be on an even footing with everyone else, but objects when people point out negative facts about PADI.

I think we should drop this discussion about the moderation, for now, and get back into the conversation about the philosophy of diver training. We need to give SB staff time to discuss the issues we've raised and get back to us with their thoughts. SB staff isn't sitting around a table, they are doing the same thing we're doing. They are posting their thoughts when they are online. They live in different parts of the world and it takes time to get everyone's input and even more time for them to respond to each other.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Whoa Guys!!!!​

Lets stop the crucifixion for a moment. First off, as far as I can tell at a quick glance there have been a grand total of two posts that "disappeared" from the discussion. The rest of them were moved to a new thread when this conversation shifted from training philosophy to PADI's marketing machine.

Since some of you feel strongly about this split, Carolyn has asked me for some help sorting it out. It's going to take me a bit of time to slog through ~500 posts and give her some recommendations while doing other things. So please just put your pitchforks away and get back to your discussion while that happens. I'm not sure most of the mods (including myself) would have taken the time to split that many posts instead of deleting them, so how about cutting her some slack for her effort and patience while it's reviewed?

Not my intent, but Walter was able to comprehend it. I also agree with Walter that we are best to get the discussion back on topic. Perhaps you may like to address my response to you in post 287?

Might I suggest ya'll either quote posts or link to them like this: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5082115-post317.html in the event that post numbers change after the thread is reviewed?

Not entirely ..... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5067951-post78.html ..... this one was whine & cheesed and it's not exactly anti-PADI. Sure, it elicited a typical anti-PADI response that many of us have come to expect from SB but anti-PADI it is not.

I think the weeping and gnashing to teeth part was uncalled for ... but I agree with your final comment.

Basically, all PADI is doing is selling people what they want to buy. That's what capitalism is all about, after all, ain't it ... and pretty clearly, most people prefer PADI's product to other agency's.

However, I think it is valid to discuss the reasons why that is the case. Somehow, a lot of the pro-PADI people want to interpret that discussion as "bashing" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom