Philosophy split discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And frankly I did not see where King was picking on SEI or me for that matter. In some PM's we had a nice civil exchange and he showed an honest desire to really inform himself. We could have had the same discussion in person and I think really enjoyed ourselves. As could everyone who participated in the thread.

It would have been lively yes but we'd have all gone home unbruised, unhurt, and perhaps with a greater understanding of each other and our views. Who knows we also might have found things we could have used in our classes to benefit our students.

Isn't that the ultimate goal?

A huge +1!

I'm honestly unhappy that SEI doesn't have an active instructor nearer to me that I could contact and attempt to audit a course just to see what they do differently.

A huge +1!

I'm honestly unhappy that SEI doesn't have an active instructor nearer to me that I could contact and attempt to audit a course just to see what they do differently.

Me too.

I did enjoy the jest and education shared here. I would love to go discuss this in person if I were ever in town near you all.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread was split after debate by many moderators. Since I have had no interaction in this thread, it fell on me to perform the actions. I tried to make the most sense of the split and some posts have been moved back to the original thread. All dive agencies are represented on this forum, but when the conversation starts to weigh negatively against one particular agency, in all fairness it will be moderated.

Carolyn:shark2:
SB Moderator

LIVES4SHARKS:
I tried to make the most sense of the split and some posts have been moved back to the original thread.

Thank you for that.

LIVES4SHARKS:
All dive agencies are represented on this forum, but when the conversation starts to weigh negatively against one particular agency, in all fairness it will be moderated.

I'm having trouble understanding that concept. Are you telling us that the truth doesn't matter? That it's unfair if negative things, even if true, are said about an agency? Please explain how that fits in with the concept of fair.

Also, why is the new thread in the Whine and Cheese forum? It clearly belongs in the Basic Scuba Discussions forum. I'd be very interested in hearing the logic behind that decision.

When will that thread be opened? Are we expected to make our replies here to posts in that thread?

The thread was split after debate by many moderators. Since I have had no interaction in this thread, it fell on me to perform the actions. I tried to make the most sense of the split and some posts have been moved back to the original thread. All dive agencies are represented on this forum, but when the conversation starts to weigh negatively against one particular agency, in all fairness it will be moderated.

SB Moderator

Carolyn,

Thank you for the work you do - it must be thankless at times.

I have a specific question for you, and for comment by others. I am curious - in your experience as a Moderator, do you think the thread would have been frozen then split if it had called into question the training standards of ACUC? Put another way, if you replace all thread instances of "PADI" with "ACUC," would the same action have been taken?

Thank you for helping keep the board clean and on track.

I will not call anyone out for doing their job. But please, help me understand why the context was seen as a "yarn?" What discussion of educational philosophy does not find the dark of the Cave and try to discuss the shapes made clear by the Light beyond said cave?

Please forgive my misunderstanding. I am only trying to understand. Thank you again, Moderators of the board.

SB Moderator

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for what must have been a lot of work, I don't envy your task:)

But in all fairness what determines right and wrong here and how would you qualify negative as being bashing if the statements are true, why not allow the agency to defend or qualify their own practices and standards? I again agree with Walter that the thread should go back to basic scuba discussions and as Jim said we are all adults we can take our hits, and I believe that we have established that everybody is maintaining a respectul if sometimes direct approach between posts.

Philosophy of Dive Training was very interesting and informative and this split definitley derailed the thread, it would be a shame to repeat the same mistake twice.

Without stirring the pot what was the ratio of Agencies represented when all the moderators gathered together?

Respectfully,

Chris

The thread would have been split if it had started to go heavily negative against any agency. The thread had been split to the Whine and Cheese since that is not a heavily moderated forum where the TOS is not as strict. That thread has now been opened.

Carry on. :)

LIVES4SHARKS:

The thread would have been split if it had started to go heavily negative against any agency. The thread had been split to the Whine and Cheese since that is not a heavily moderated forum where the TOS is not as strict. That thread has now been opened.

Carry on. :)

There have been no violations of TOS, so it can be put back in Basic.

Any chance of answering some questions?

Are you telling us that the truth doesn't matter? That it's unfair if negative things, even if true, are said about an agency? Please explain how that fits in with the concept of fair.

Why was the other thread closed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom