Philosophy split discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's the ToS ... but in this case, there were no ToS violations.

Virtually everything I contributed to this thread got tossed in the trash with not a single word of explanation.

I find that incredibly insulting.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, I did not see any either. As noted in my post #291, the TOS states: "Our focus is to advance safety, knowledge and enjoyment within the diving community by encouraging the mutual exchange of experiences, ideas and opinions." Perhaps we might find out if this has changed?

It boils down to this ... everything pro-PADI was allowed to stay in this thread. Everything refuting pro-PADI positions was removed to the Whine and Cheeze forum ... which is a statement that if you ain't on the PADI bandwagon, your opinion is worthless.

So how do you as a "member" feel about this? It doesn't sit very well with me.

So how do you as a "member" feel about this? It doesn't sit very well with me.

I think my last half-dozen or so posts make it pretty clear how I feel ... violated!

If nothing else, it very effectively derailed what was a pretty informative conversation.

Now, if we were a couple of trolls posting idiocy for our personal amusement, that would've been OK.

... Bob (Grateful Diver))

The mods seem to have dropped the ball on this one, is PADI sponsoring the board to such a degree? Or is this just an oh s··T we f··ked up and we can't hide it now what do we do?

Come on guys come clean step up to the plate

I also feel that when a thread such as this is moderated, to the degree this one was, it was unfair to Carolyn to have her do the chopping. What we were discussing were training issues and philosophies that frankly would require the knowledge of those philosophies and standards that would not be possessed by a non professional. How would someone not familiar with or without access to those standards and philosophies be able to make an informed and non biased decision regarding posts. If her bio is current she is not an instructor, AI ,or DM. Frankly the mod who should have been doing anything at all ( even though there was really nothing to do) should have had the knowledge or access to the standards and philosophies. No attack on you Carolyn but you did get handed the dirty diaper on this one and it wasn't even your kid.

When a discussion such as this takes place and it is of real benefit to divers as a whole as this one is, or was anyway, to cut it up based on some perceived level of fairness is doing a disservice to that community. There were references made regarding SEI. As the mod in that forum if I thought they were outright mean attacks you can bet I would have reacted. But what I saw were legitimate questions raised by someone unfamiliar with our agency to clarify statements and obtain information for the real and noble purpose of educating themselves. That is never a bad thing. And this is in basic because one thing that many of us agree with is that new divers don't know what they don't know.( yeah I'm beginning to hate the cliche' myself but it's the best I can think of now)

When these things are brought out in the open and light shone on practices by any agency or instructor that allows the student to make a more informed decision regarding something that could affect their health and safety it is a good thing. There are those who don;t care if they don't get rescue skills. They only want to look at pretty fish. But there are those who if they knew more was available in the beginning they'd go for it regardless of cost or time involved. To keep them in the dark with flashy ads, misleading statements, less than full disclosure of the options available is irresponsible and wrong.

I also feel that when a thread such as this is moderated, to the degree this one was, it was unfair to Carolyn to have her do the chopping.

Jim, no one has identified Carolyn as doing anything wrong. Quite frankly I'm not aware of who does what on the SB Staff and what is done behind the scenes.

Keeping the "I don't need to know who it was philosophy," SB made a number of errors in my opinion. They messed up the thread to begin with; by moderating a thread that didn't need it. They failed to communicate with the OP (me) of what was being done and didn't acknowledge my e-mail when I appealed the decision to make the thread "disappear." Many of us have invested quite a bit of time on this thread in good faith; only to have everything pulled off-track.

Avast! The crew be wanting an explanation Cap'n. Break out the Rum says I. :pirate2:

Never said she was doing anything wrong but as the mod who got picked for the job by whomever she got the short end of the stick simply because of her not being a dive professional with access to the materials I cited. Not her bad.

Never said she was doing anything wrong but as the mod who got picked for the job by whomever she got the short end of the stick simply because of her not being a dive professional with access to the materials I cited. Not her bad.

Which actually screams WTF??? Why did the mods send the lamb out for slaughter? They are not being very forthcoming, quite honestly they are behaving like a bunch of candy asses.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have asked for assistance since so many people are upset with the splitting of the threads. Please be patient while all the postings are reviewed and further actions will then be taken.

Carolyn:shark2:

Back
Top Bottom