Philippines safety in Dumaguete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same as anything else, isn't it? Everything is fine until it's not.
Yes. Sort of like a nice dive, until everything starts to go wrong. I haven't been in a country where there were travel warnings, esp so close by to Dumaguete with southern Cebu and Mindanao. I have been in non-dive situations where all looked fine until several people stepped out to block my way... I'm guessing that a terrorist act would be rather sudden also. No warnings.

Not seeing any danger does not mean there is no danger. It's interesting to know what people felt and saw in recent trips to the Philippines. Were there any outward signs of problems i.e. armed guards? Warning signs? Verbal warnings by the resort on what not to do? Are the travel warning warranted for Dumaguete?

You should be aware that Filipinos find armed guards rather reassuring than a sign of a problem. Had to laugh when someone returned from a study tour to Canada and told me she felt so unsafe in our banks. "You don't have security guards with guns! How can you have any peace of mind to do your banking?"

As countries with travel warnings go, the Philippines are pretty benign. But if you're nervous, you might want to go with a buddy or a group with Phils experience. And ask the resort you have in mind. They will be honest about their evaluation of the threat level and what they're doing about it.

I have travelled to Davao and Gen Santos in Mindanao without any incidence to report. However, there is certain area on that island that I have been warned not t
Dumaguete is a small and dead quiet provincial city.
Centrals, when was the last time you were in Dumaguete and Mindanao?
1. Minimum of 6 times a year to the country. I was in Surigao(Northern Mindonao) three yrs ago.
2. Many of my buddies go to Philippines every year as well.
3. SB went to Dumaguete last yr.
4. There was top security warning about travelling to Philippines for HK residents few year ago because of ONE incidence in Manila. But I still went to that country nevertheless!!!!
5. Aussie still go to Bali after the terrorist bomb attack.

Your choice!

Dumaguete is the home of Siliman University. Silliman University They have had foreigners going to school since it was established in 1907. So they are used to seeing foreigners there for a while. Very few tourists, except for divers go to that part of the country. Most people travel to Cebu, Bohol, and Palawan. I am Filipino so I can go anywhere without sticking out, but my wife is American and she does. I would take her to Dumaguete. She has been to General Santos in Mindanao too.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around a mental image of a successful tourist-kidnapping raid on Dumaguete. It is a truly pleasant town with lots going on. Surely the threat, if any, was more to isolated areas. And of course Manila itself is as unpredictable as, say, Brussels or New York.

FT:
I honestly cannot wrap my head around a mental image of a successful tourist-kidnapping raid on Dumaguete. It is a truly pleasant town with lots going on. Surely the threat, if any, was more to isolated areas.

Abu Sayyaf is very adept at kidnapping people from pleasant touristy places. They are perhaps most well known for the Sipadan kidnappings 20 Kidnapped From Malaysian Resort Island back when you could stay on Sipadan itself, but there are also the two Canadians murdered after being abducted from a resort in Samal. When I was recently in Anilao, a couple based in KK were telling me about recent 'custom kidnappings' that were happening from the Sipadan region that I had not heard anything about in the Canadian media I follow.
FT:
And ask the resort you have in mind. They will be honest about their evaluation of the threat level and what they're doing about it.
I also love the Philippines, and have visited Dumaguete, and believe there's a very good chance of a visit being either uneventful or safe. However I am not sure I would agree that asking a resort will help one obtain a frank or well-prepared answer. In what I would consider a comparable situation (with typhoons being more predictable than kidnappings), we were likely within half a mile of the eye of Typhoon Nock Ten this Dec in Anilao and never did the resort we were at - which is recommended constantly on this board - articulate any type of emergency evacuation plan for guests; secure loose furniture, portable electrical appliances, ornaments, etc from the dining, pool and lounge areas; remove staff clothing or neoprene left on drying racks, etc.

How well prepared for emergencies even a well-regarded resort is depends on the management and staff at that specific resort.

I would go. I'm going to Malapascua and Dumaguete/Dauin this spring. This will be my 4th trip to Dumaguete within the last 5 years. Last time I was there was january 2015.

I live in Dumaguete these days ... very safe. In fact it's a university town (Siliman university) and it has a much more cultivated feel than other small Phil. towns I know. I have no problems, ever, moving around town by jeepney or tricycle. I wouldn't be overly concerned in Cebu City, but Duma is definitely safe. A few panhandlers is the worst I see.

There have been kidnapping warnings for the south of Cebu, and some parts of Mindanao are off limits. Last year an American dude was killed here, but that was the result of a bar-fight he got in (still not justified of course!!), not a random robbery.

If you stay in the resort only, there will be a guard, and you will be extra safe.

I'm planning to head to Dumaguete in April to dive. I'm traveling with someone who works for the US embassy in Manila. The American travel warnings do not include Dumaguete, but do include part of Cebu. Dumaguete is on another island (although very close). The warnings tend to be overly cautious and if there was any danger my friend would not be permitted to go without the potential of losing the job. We've discussed it multiple times and agree that there is no real danger.

Reactions: FT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom