Phil and Merry's Annual Catalina Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
GoatHarbor1_zpseb4d4d54.jpg

I love diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Rockfish, invertebrates, sponges, crabs and nudibranchs are found nearly everywhere around the hill. Once a year or so, we begin yearning for some better visibility, so we tell ourselves that this will be the Catalina trip we come back from with outstanding photos. We were kidding ourselves...again.

We set up for wide angle and headed for Goat Harbor/Twin Rocks to get some shots of Giant Sea Bass in blue water with amber kelp in the background. We found twenty feet visibility in dark, sand-filled water, pretty much the same conditions we always find. We have no luck at timing our annual trip here. Merry pointed out two GSBs, but they were out of camera range and not stopping for autographs. We swam through the kelp and then covered the sandy cove but found nothing of interest.

We tucked our fins between our legs and made our way to Empire Landing. I knew we could save our day if we could at least get some shots of the Scythe butteryfish found there. We didn't see a single one. The only opistobranch I found all day was a Tylodina fungina out in the open.

GoatHarbor11_zps1d0db66f.jpg

GoatHarbor16_zpsde0ba7c8.jpg

GoatHarbor17_zpsbb960fa5.jpg

GoatHarbor2_zps7f0f5bb8.jpg

GoatHarbor3_zps500638d3.jpg

GoatHarbor5_zpsa4a4f8be.jpg

GoatHarbor6_zps90d60a56.jpg

GoatHarbor7_zps3ff65f47.jpg

GoatHarbor10_zpscb72a0aa.jpg

After surfacing, the wind had come up, making our trip home wet and bumpy. I think I'll stick to local diving, at least until next year.

Okay, I have a proposition for you -- I have YET to dive Catalina when the viz wasn't fabulous and the water wasn't blue.

Next year, let me pick the dates, and we'll rendezvous there. I'll get to meet two of my favorite photographers, and you'll get MY viz!

I have YET to dive Catalina when the viz wasn't fabulous and the water wasn't blue.

Today was exactly that. 50'ish foot viz, sun and blue, blue water. So many Bat Rays (big ones), I lost count. GBSB, to boot ! The crossing this morning was flat with an occasional roller. Was a phenomenal day at Catalina today :)

Conditions were far better at the dive park, Phil & Merry... up to 60 ft vis and a GSB to boot.

Back
Top Bottom