Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it's Jason, the guy who's ass I saved on both of his recent OOA's.

He's ticked that I slammed his shop recently. He treated me like dirt, and I told people here on the board. Now he's ticked and wants to do anything he can to discredit me. I suppose he thinks that maybe if he makes me look bad, it'll make him look better.

He's tearing me up in another thread, too... The one where I slammed his shop. I didn't mention names... Just occurences. But apparently he's gotten upset about it and now wants to fight.

I talked enough on the other thread. I don't need to waste my time with him any more.

...All I can say is that you'll never see me in your shop again... And if I mentioned it's name, I doubt anyone else on this board would either.

Sounds like an interesting project ! Now except for all the pureed food you were talking about like pasta etc. there is some more alternatives i.e bars and shakes from mesotech and nitrotech ,high in protein ,good on the carbs and well balanced .But I am interested in the degree of dehydration from compressed air 24/7 esp. when you are asleep ,also ,if you are going to look into different gasses at all ,for I am sure it has to be benificial on the long run although logistics might be a nightmare I suppose

Post the date and location ,I will fly in for this one ! Keeping an eye on it.

DIR diver ..... Navy Tables??:D JJ might ban you !

Dude, you are soo laughable.

What's next? Pee wee herman retorts? All the balls in the world behind mystery!

May I suggest a tagline? How about "I whine, therefore I am"...

Grow some hair on your chest, fill out your profile in WHOLE! Inquiring minds soooooo wanna know...

And for Seajay, GO FOR THAT RECORD!!!! top points for major balls! Screw what anyone else thinks. Hell, I'm kind of envious I didn't think of this.

aquariumdiver once bubbled...

You could say that! I've been on dives with this guy and he's a menace, a poor rep to divers in this area or anywhere for that matter, and has a loosey attitude. He's a loose cannon that leaves his buddy on a whim and will get someone killed before he wises up.

BTW, I have been SeaJay's buddy for a great deal of his dives and almost all of mine and he has never left me. He has never been dangerous to me or himself or any other diver in the group.

I have been on several dives where this one particular individual who has respectively had OOAs has been an issue in many ways and this person who consistently has had OOAs has relied on SeaJay to provide air; so what would be the foundation for this bashing.

It is funny how you think you have the cajones to spout lies about me. I chose not to volunteer at the aquarium during the spring semester when I had 27 hours to take and not enough time to devote. Not to mention my buddy was not going to be diving there and we were carpooling an hour and a half drive each way to do this. I am still on the information line for substitutes when needed. And have been told when I am ready to get on the schedule again just let them know. As if you needed to know. If you really had any affiliation with the aquarium you would probably know that.

I told you once before. If you have a beef with someone take it up with them. Don't start on me. I will definitely finish with you. Let's see you pretend to be aquariumdiver to mislead people into thinking that you are an aquarium diver. Then later you say it's because you have aquariums. Then you say you have been on several dives with SeaJay. Then you say you were with us at Forty Fathoms. And you bring up the Club. HUM. Could you be the diver who had an OOA at Forty Fathoms and SeaJay donated air to? Then that would make you the same OOA diver who SeaJay donated air to at the first GA coast dive. That would also make you the same diver who put SeaJay, Alex, and me in danger when you went to get an anchor off the Betsy Ross and we barely had enough air to do our deco. Alex didn't even have air to inflate his BC when we surfaced and all of us were under 200 PSI. I would like to think not but I believe you are.

This only exposes an imposter and I don't care to post any more comments to any of your altered version of truths. R

Those who can do. Those who can't criticize others.

Sorry to everyone for this momentary interruption from a lying coward who won't post a real identity.

Mental note - don't piss off SeaJay's woman.

And for what it's worth, unless this loser is willing to post a real name and ID, I think everyone can unanimously conclude he's just an upset baby who is probably extremely insecure.

Go away now, little boy.

Okay, I told y'all that I'd keep you posted... And in an effort to keep the interest going here, I think I should post both my successes and failures, rather than just "the good stuff." Y'lall wanna hear it all, right? That's what makes the event challenging...

I wrote to Duke University (home of DAN - Diver's Alert Network) relative to a "Flying After Diving" study that I'm supposed to be participating in.

I'll post her reply when I get it.

Hello, Jeanette!

This is SeaJay Bayne, a diver from Beaufort, SC who wrote not long ago, interested in your "Flying After Diving" study.

All summer I've been wanting to get up to your facility to participate in the research. Unfortunately, this summer has seen me unbelievably busy at work, and any time off I've spent diving. :)

...Anyway, the school semester is coming up fast, and if I don't get to participate in your study soon, the semester will take up all of my time and I'll end up not getting to participate.

...So I've checked out some of the dates that you've offered. I can't make the Aug 22-23 date, but would look seriously at one of the immediate following dates.

Can you tell me what sort of profile to expect? Can you tell me what to expect in terms of timing? I'd be coming from Beaufort, SC... Very near Hilton Head and Savannah, GA... I understand the drive is some 5 hours or so. Didn't you mention something about staying overnight (i.e. "where to stay" and "how to get the expense covered?") If I'm not mistaken, there was a compensation for mileage, as well. Can you give some specifics?

Mostly, though, I'm worried about time. You'd need me on Friday... What time? Saturday is taken up with the dive, and then there's a final check on Sunday, right?

I've asked you for info before... Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself. It's been a very eventful summer. :)

More than anything, I would look forward to being in a position of knowlege, understanding, and scientific research. I am attempting a Guinness Book World Record dive in the coming months... The record will be for "Longest Scuba Submergence - Controlled Environment," and the ultimate goal is for a single 20' or less dive in salt water (35 ppt) for a grand total of 14 days. Preceeding the event will be two 24 hour dives, one 48 hour dive, and one 72 hour dive, taking place sequentially over a period of about eight months. My support crew will be learning - and I will be learning - to ensure the safety and the completion of the dive.

...So in a strange way, getting around your people there at Duke - certainly the most knowlegable people on this topic, at least from a medical standpoint - is very inviting indeed.

Frankly, the attempt is something that I've wanted to do for a long time... And will be done simply for the sake of holding a record. However, it's my intention to do something positive with the event. The ideas rolling around at this point include fund raisers and benefits... But it certainly would be cool if this sort of event could aid the diving community with scientific research. I'm not looking for a grant or funding or anything... I'd simply like to have the event benefit something other than myself.

Thus... Could Duke or DAN somehow benefit from the event? Could my dive be beneficial to the scientific community in some way?

Please let me know... Participation in the event has no bearing whatsoever with whether I'd come participate in the Flying After Diving study... But I sure would enjoy getting to meet the most knowlegable hyperbaric medicine staff on the planet... And to get their educated input on my world record attempt.

...And as I've said, I'd like to benefit the diving community and the scientific community, if possible.

...But whether Duke/DAN is interested in the event or not, I'd be interested in your current study... For the same reasons.

Thanks a million. :)

For those of you looking for the pertinent information, it's in bold. However, it's interesting to see the relative downplay of the world record attempt in relation to my participation in the current DAN study... So I figured I'd post the entire letter. Again, the only pertinent info to the attempt is in bold.

Thank you for your interest in the Flying After Diving Study. I have attached the following information about the study for your information.

Information Letter – details the study and provides you with a sample schedule at the end.

Please note that this is just a sample schedule of how the study typically runs. Depending on which date you choose to participate, the profile and schedule will differ. The schedule and profile for any particular study have is not released until a couple of weeks prior, so I will send that information out to you later.

Medical History Form - you would need to fill out this form and return it to me as soon as possible. The return of this form is what holds your spot on the roster.

You may mail it to Divers Alert Network - Research Dept. 6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27705 or fax it to (919) 493-3040.

The Flying After Diving Study is to determine safe limits for Flying After Diving on profiles of interest to the US Navy.

Participants must be certified divers or have experience with hyperbaric exposure,

Between the ages of 18-60 years old, and must meet certain physical criteria. You must be relatively fit, and have no medical conditions.

Absolute exclusions to the study are: pregnancy, chest surgery, Pneumothorax, Asthma that is active and requires medication, chronic seizure disorder, chronic diseases (e.g., hypertension, diabetes, heart condition), and recent joint surgery.

Restrictions are as follows: No diving 48-hour prior to and after tests; No flying 24-hours prior to study dive and 48-hours after study flight; No organized sports or other exercise program for at least 72 hours prior to the test; and No prescription or over the counter medication including aspirin other than those identified to Study Physician for week prior to the test.

You will be compensated $120 dollars for completion of the study, and DAN membership and insurance at the preferred level will also be provided if you do not currently have one or if your membership expires within 30 days of the study.

Available study dates are as follows:

Aug 22-23, 2003

Sept 5-6, 2003

Sept 19-20, 2003

Oct. 3-4, 2003

Oct. 17-19, 2003

Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2003

Nov. 14-15, 2003

Nov. 21-22, 2003

Dec. 5-6, 2003

Dec. 19-20, 2003

If you live over a 60-minute drive from Durham, we will provide you hotel accommodations and most of your meals. You may bring a non-participating spouse/friend with you, but you will be required to pay for their half of the room. All our rooms are based on double occupancy so be aware that you will have a roommate, unless special arrangements are made in advance.

To answer your specific questions:

All you have to do to participate in the September studies is to complete the medical history form attached and return it to me, along with a note to remind me to which date to add your name to.

The profile being tested right now is 60’/40 min dive, 1:00 hr SI, 8000’/4:00 hrs flight.

The same profile will probably still be tested in September.

I have attached the schedule (Excel file) from the Aug. 9-10 study, and it should be the same or similar for September.

Since you are coming from SC, we will put you up in a hotel for Friday and Saturday night. However, there is no provision to compensate you for your mileage.

The record attempt you are planning is certainly interesting, and the guys at the chamber I know will enjoy discussing this with you. Perhaps you can discuss with them when you come in, what type of involvement is forthcoming, if any.

Please review the attached material, and if you have additional questions feel free to contact me. Thank you again for supporting the Flying After Diving study.

Jeanette Moore
DAN Research
6 West Colony Place
Durham, NC 27705
(919) 684-2948 ext. 260

Medical History.pdf (Binary attachment)
Info Letter1.doc (Binary attachment)
Study Schedule.xls (Binary attachment)

The bottom line is that it appears to me that participating in this current DAN study would earn me $120 and be a nice getaway for a weekend... While helping the scientific and diving communities. However, to me, I believe that the most beneficial part of doing this study would be surrounding myself with the hyperbaric leaders of the industry... And bouncing these ideas off of them. There are still some concerns I have about skin exposure to water for a straight 14 days; primarily, if a 35 ppt solution will reduce the superhydration problem to a managable level. My research to date has been with shipwreck survivors, all of whom were exposed for no more than four days, and only some of whom were actually immersed for the duration of their rescue. Additionally, all of them were badly dehydrated during their rescue; that is, they did not have fresh water to drink... Which would have obvious effects on superhydration and the way that their body absorbed the surrounding water.

Certainly Phases 1-4 are bound to teach me about superhydration as well... And I believe that starting with a solution of purified H2O, with the "normal" trace elements of flouride and chlorine removed... And with an addition of salts to the tune of 35 ppt... Is a good place to start. Additionally, it appears that a good starting point for the solution in terms of temperature should be in the 93-95 degree range.

...Which, of course, explains why the facility is so important for Phases 1-5.

Sorry if this is boring to y'all... :) I think that THIS is what the record's really going to be about. :D

You may have already discussed this in a thread but I did not see it.
A police officer in Sav. GA is going for 12+ hours to raise funds for a leukimia charity. He may have already worked out some of your questions. He even has someone from Rodales helping him out.

For more information contact Officer Gary Glemboski at (912) 921-5451, or send donations to:

The Alyssa M. Ennis Fund
C/O Sgt. M. Nichols
Savannah Police Dept. Traffic Unit
201 Habersham St.
Savannah, GA 31401

cid90 once bubbled...
A police officer in Sav. GA is going for 12+ hours to raise funds for a leukimia charity.

The difference in what motivates people sure exposes a lot about their character.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom