Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I think I could come up with some pretty good record breaking plans. LOL :wacko:

But my curiousity's been piqued.

I take it from the posts above and elsewhere that SeaJay & RavenC are "an item." Is this a long-distance thing? The reason I'm asking is it seems like this board is often the two of you's primary method of communication.

It just strikes me as curious... if my wife was active on this board, I can't imagine asking her questions here, I'd ask them when we conversed about us, offline.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a wonderful near-voyeuristic time watching the love patter between you two, and see no need for you to stop. SeaJay is one of the most polite contributors here, even in the face of direct attacks (usually :wink: ).

If I'm being waaay too nosey, never mind or tell me to shaddup or whatever.

BTW, since I'm being so forward... RavenC... what year were you Mrs. SC? Which org's pageant?

Later,
Allen

paulwlee once bubbled...
I believe it will be easier for you if are negative the whole time. Although being neutral is pretty easy, it becomes different if you're doing that for days. If you are neutral, say you doze off for a few minutes. You will use up air and become postive, and not being able to vent air from your wings, break the surface, invalidating your record. I would much prefer being slightly negative all the time and not worry about bouyancy at all. Otherwise it requires constant care, 24hours.

The research that I've done (mostly talking to previous record holders) has supported the notion that after a few days in water, skin becomes so soft that it's very easy to break. Being on the bottom - especially in a cement-lined facility - does quite a bit of abrasion after long exposure.

It's been mentioned to me many times to stay off the bottom as much as possible.

That's not to say that I won't be there - probably on a mat - while I sleep. But it's been expressed that remaining neutral as much as possible definitely helps.

So I agree with you... But there are lots of times when I'm going to need to be neutral, and it really needs to be as much as possible.

Really, though... You and I are really talking in "absolutes" - that is, you're talking about being on the bottom and I'm talking about being neutral... I can promise you that 2 weeks is enough time for lots and lots of both to happen.

Many previous record holders have used jackets... Doing this in a bp/wing will be waaaay streamlined by comparison... I'm not worried about dumping the wing for that extra bit. Not when I need it for neutrality.

Also, simple is better. If you decide not to soap yourself, the requirements for the sewer will be much more lenient. You are localizing the area where water has to be sucked out from. When you soap yourself, you essentially need a 'waterlock' of sorts to make sure you get most of the soap out.

I agree that simple is better... And would prefer to develop a need for something than think I'm going to need it and then have to deal with it... Only to realize that it was never really necessary in the first place.

There won't be a need for a "waterlock." The "chamber," which is really just a latrine, simply has a door on it, which reduces the amount of water which can seep in and out. Once the toilet is "opened," there is enough flow through the cracks and crevices that waste water is removed fairly efficiently. The "shower" is little more than a thought process... There's no "extra" hardware required over the regular "latrine" that I'll be using, other than a freshwater hose. Soap will probably be of the bodywash variety so that it's only exposed to the water when I use it.

If it becomes a pain to use, I simply won't use it any longer.

That's my take anyway. The bladder thing is I guess more of a preference, but I do see a real problem with the soaping.. But then again, maybe it's doable.

The doctors that I've been in contact with have all expressed a pretty serious concern with infection... Eyes, ears, nose and throat... They've all expressed the level of importance at getting waste out of the facility efficiently and effectively. All of them liked the idea of being able to keep hygene up; which has been a problem with previous record holders as well.

Whether my ideas work or not, this area must be pretty well taken care of if the current record's going to be broken.

Allen42 once bubbled...

I take it from the posts above and elsewhere that SeaJay & RavenC are "an item."

Just a little. :wink:

Is this a long-distance thing?

Yes. Of course, three miles does count as long distance when you're crazy about the person you're with... Doesn't it? :D

The reason I'm asking is it seems like this board is often the two of you's primary method of communication.

Nope, we're like this all the time, everywhere we go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a wonderful near-voyeuristic time watching the love patter between you two, and see no need for you to stop. SeaJay is one of the most polite contributors here, even in the face of direct attacks (usually).

Hey, that's flattering. Thanks!

...So you like to watch, hunh? What makes you think that we don't WANT to be watched? :wink: Perhaps we both enjoy the public displays of affection so much that we can't stop. :)

You should see us in public. We're real bad.

:D

Okay, that make sense. (the wing I mean)

But as for the soaping, also note that at least 1/3 of the world live their entire lives without using soap, and just use plain water for their ablutionary needs. I think you can go 14 days without soap, as long as you keep the water well filtered. The obsession with eliminating all body oil is really a very recent development of modern society. Antarctic explorers or other explorers certainly didn't wash themselves with soap during their month long journeys, and your logistical problems are comparable to theirs.

If this still doesn't convince you, then I won't try any more. I'm not against cleanliness, but I just think washing with water is enough and anything more is an unnecessary burden given the potential problems.

Oh, and don't even think about backing down later whatever problems arise on the way! You've roused our excitement, so you need to follow through! :D:D

paulwlee once bubbled...
But as for the soaping, also note that at least 1/3 of the world live their entire lives without using soap, and just use plain water for their ablutionary needs. I think you can go 14 days without soap, as long as you keep the water well filtered.

Well, you've probably got a point... We'll see how it goes. Heck, washing might just help keep boredom at bay. :)

Oh, and don't even think about backing down later whatever problems arise on the way! You've roused our excitement, so you need to follow through! :D:D

Lol... Are you kidding? "Back down?" :D I've never had a dream I haven't achieved. Some take longer than others, but I've never once said I had a passion to do something that I haven't gone after and accomplished.

I just hope that the realization of this dream is as sweet as I think it will be.

No, man... I'm in.

Allen42 once bubbled...
BTW, since I'm being so forward... RavenC... what year were you Mrs. SC? Which org's pageant?

Later,
Allen

1999/2000 Mrs. America

RavenC once bubbled...

1999/2000 Mrs. America

<braces for impact> just wondering how well did you do , if you dont mind me asking

<changing subjects>

Jay

I have said i would help with your attempts and that offer is still in place. if you will consider i wouldnt mind helping on the support crew if and when the time comes.

What is the time frames (dates if you can ) for the first couple of phases ?

Scooter phase , now i definately want tohelp with that(hmm maybe you can get bill gavin and GI to donate a few :wacko: ) your going from were in florida to were in the bahamas ?

Dan

Scubatooth once bubbled...

I have said i would help with your attempts and that offer is still in place. if you will consider i wouldnt mind helping on the support crew if and when the time comes.

Thanks, 'Tooth! :) I'll keep you posted...

What is the time frames (dates if you can ) for the first couple of phases ?

That's a great question.

Phase 1 was supposed to start sometime in September, or even October... But I'm still working on getting the right facility together. I don't yet have a date, but a bit more work and I should be able to make some serious plans. complete with dates. I'll definitely be posting them here.

Scooter phase , now i definately want tohelp with that(hmm maybe you can get bill gavin and GI to donate a few :wacko: ) your going from were in florida to were in the bahamas ?

Dan

Lol... Well... It's occurred to me to use Gavins... I'm quite a fan of them, although only from seeing them; I haven't had the pleasure of taking one for a spin yet. Now... GI3; let's just say that I'm not a big fan. :( I'll definitely be looking into Gavins, but I don't know that I can put up with "the man." :D We'll see how that goes.

I'm putting together a dive to the 'Doria in the next few years, too... Actually, after the Phase 15 dive. I've already invited several individuals, including Mike Kane and JJ... They both accepted the invitation, but no doubt we'll want to get some diving in as a team to see how the dynamics work before taking off to the 'Doria.

...Anyway, my point is that JJ, from what I understand, dives almost exclusively with GI3, so he might be a prerequisite for ensuring that JJ shows.

I haven't heard from AndrewG yet about the trip... Frankly, it's still so far off that it's somewhat pointless to plan now. I need to get up to speed to be a good teammate for these guys, and frankly, I have a long way to go.

But it's something I'd like to do in a few years... And I can see doing dives beforehand with GI3 by default; so if we do end up buddies before the Phase 15 dive, it's very possible that his Gavins could be used for Phase 15. It certainly would speak volumes for his product on the open market. I mean, look at what his world record breaking 3 mile penetration has done. :) Of course, he's not hurting for sales, so I don't know if that's something he actually is looking for.

The Phase 15 dive will start near West Palm Beach, Florida and end in Freeport, Bahamas; a total of about 81 miles... And as far as I can tell, a first for scuba divers. The crossing should take three to four days and will include chase boats, surface support, many tank changes (still on open circuit) and basically the same setup that I will have used to accomplish Phase 5 and Phase 10 (sans "toilet"). The plan is to sleep in a shark cage suspended from the boat. Boredom will be a much bigger player on this dive than in the other two, by the way... As will hypothermia.

To keep it interesting, we may not take a direct route from one to the other, but instead may dive from shipwreck to shipwreck if the gasses are available to do saturation diving.

We'll see how that goes when I get closer to that Phase.

Man this is a ambious plan.

I know what you mean on GI3 his personality can be abrasive to some, but then you hear from other people with the completely different opinon(maybe hes the type you have to meet to make a definative opinon)

as for the doria, man that sounds intresting and that would be a impressive group for a expedition.

as for the scooter thing would sound intresting, but saturation sounds a little much, but then again thats just a little ways down the road.

well if you get a facility in the next month or so , and if you plan it between x-mas and new years, i would be in the area to help out (the group from texas is still planning on making a run to florida in that last week of december)

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom