Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay, I just read through all of the pages on your soon-to-be-comfirmed World Record. Much respect.

Go ahead and ad me to the list of support staff if done in Fla

A letter from the U.K...

The opening line says it all: "Your record proposal has been approved by the Guinness World Records researchers."

Hm.

Green light means "go." :D

I was supposed to be visiting Duke University this weekend... Unfortunately, it's been postponed for another two weeks. However, this weekend I'll be getting some other parts of the preparation done...

I'll keep y'all informed. :D

Too cool.

79+ hours, eh? Hmmmm... The Phase 2 portion of the dive's just been "antied up." :D

How cool is that? I'm not familiar with the one right here in my home State...

No, its 100+ hours now... just set this past week... one more time for those that seem to have not read my posts... in Lake Keowee in South Carolina. The dive ended sometime this past thursday. Bill Routh from Off the Wall Charters on Lake Jocassee provided all the tanks (around 130) and is how I found out about it while grabbing some tanks for a few dives in Jocassee friday. Someone commented on a thread I started about it that you may have been the diver Seajay, but I see now that you aren't. I'm sure we'll all hear about it soon enough.... 100 hours was their goal, but I believe Bill said the diver stayed down for 105 hours.

I read your post. :) I just haven't seen written proof of it... Other than your mention. Is the new record official?

I've only met the guys at Off the Wall a handful of times, but they seem like great guys.

It kills me that something like this happened so close to home and I wasn't involved. :( Heck... It happened twice. Once in Savannah (an hour and a half south of me) and once in Columbia (two and a half hours north).

Ah, well...

Very cool. 100+ hours... Any word on the official time? Interesting that this person would select Lake Keowee... It's cold and dark and murky and... Well... Freshwater.

By comparison, a dive off of Miami or anywhere in the Caribbean would be warm, clear, and salt... And you know my thoughts on salt water. :)

That takes some serious guts to do 100+ hours in the... Uhhh... Not best of conditions.

Actually it was conducted, as I've mentioned, at the hot hole which has water temps around 90 deg F. We probably haven't seen anything about it just yet because it was just completed late thursday. I'll get in touch with bill and see if I can get more info. I guess this makes three times you missed out on... Where was the dive in Columbia done at? As I said, 105 hours give or take is the closest number I've seen. I do know your view on salt... but it seems to me anyway that saltwater, after that long of an exposure would quite possibly be just as bad for your body as freshwater. Bill is a straight up guy and wouldn't be involved if it was bogus. If he says it happened, it happened. I'm sure that it was official and I'm sure there footage of it since Bill does videography. The vis isnt too bad at the hot hole either... but then again... what do you need to see anyway.

jamiei once bubbled...
Actually it was conducted, as I've mentioned, at the hot hole which has water temps around 90 deg F.

Holy smokes... I didn't know that was there.

Interesting. That falls within my parameters for my Phase 10 dive. I still believe in salt water, but it's something to keep in mind. Hm.

We probably haven't seen anything about it just yet because it was just completed late thursday. I'll get in touch with bill and see if I can get more info. I guess this makes three times you missed out on... Where was the dive in Columbia done at?

No, I meant the one dive (mentioned above) in Savannah... Although I did get to talk to the diver and his support crew post-dive. The second was the one you're talking about... At Keowee... My reference to "Columbia" was relative to the dive you mention. Do I not have that right? Is Keowee not in the Columbia/Irmo area? Maybe I'm thinking of Wateree...

As I said, 105 hours give or take is the closest number I've seen. I do know your view on salt... but it seems to me anyway that saltwater, after that long of an exposure would quite possibly be just as bad for your body as freshwater.

Well, the bottom line is... "Yes." Superhydration is superhydration. However, the effects of it tend to be less pronounced in salt water than in fresh, due to the lack of a huge electrolyte loss in salt water. I don't know whether this would come into play after 14 days yet, but all of the theories that I've learned say that it's likely, and I'm willing to try it out in Phases 1-4.

105 hours... Man, that's too cool. You know, if a diver is going to keep that record for more than a few months, he's going to have to break that record by a longshot. I have a feeling that this diver's record is going to stand for a while... To go from 72 to 76 isn't a huge break... To go from 76 to 105 hours... That record might stay around for a while.

I'd be really interested in talking to these guys... And since they're so close, maybe we can get some diving in...

Lake Keowee, the lake in question... is directly below Lake Jocassee in the northwest corner of SC... far from Columbia. It's between the towns of Salem and Seneca, SC.

14 days? 105 hours is just over 4 days... 14 days in saltwater or not is quite a goal to set for yourself. You mentioned tv's and such down there... whats up with that? How many phases are there? I think phase one needs to be the only thing in your mind at this point. I think that much time in saltwater would possibly dehydrate a person if anything. Since you've communicated with Guiness, what are the parameters/rules for such a dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom