Petite Diver cannot find full 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting into a 7mm wetsuit is 10 times more easier than donning a Drysuit and undergarments... That's a given...

Man, I disagree with that! (But I've never worn a 7 mm suit.) Getting in and out of my 5 mm semi-dry is WAY more work, and takes longer, than getting into my MK3 and Fusion. And I can't reliably zip either one by myself . . . At the end of our recent 3 week warm water trip, I was seriously contemplating just going permanently 100% dry, given how light the Fusion is, and how quickly it dries.

With a skin in suit you use a wash bottle filled with 50% water and 50% baby shampoo, a small squirt in each leg and you pop in. A small squirt in each arm and same-same for the jacket. Nothing to it. Add to that the extreme flexibility of skin two side material and it is an absolute dream.

Getting into a 7mm wetsuit is 10 times more easier than donning a Drysuit and undergarments... That's a given...

Given that it's untrue perhaps! (Wait till you have 100 or so dives in the drysuit, you'll see how easy it really is.)

Given that it's untrue perhaps! (Wait till you have 100 or so dives in the drysuit, you'll see how easy it really is.)
I have thousands of dives in drysuits, drysuits of every conceivable make and design. I will state, unequivacally, that it is far, far easier to deal with getting into and out of a skin two side Rubatex GN-231 wetsuit than it is to deal with getting in and out of any dry suit that I've ever used.

My recomendation also. Once she has mastered the drysuit, a couple of dives, then I doubt she will ever dive in more than a 3mm.
With a front entry zip and integrated boots then it is only the cuffs and collar that are a little bit of a battle to get into.
This is more than compensated by the lack of buoancy swing compared with a 7mm.
I can understand why some divers only dive dry even in tropical conditions.
Someone that small is likely to get cold pretty easily before you spend the money on a custom wetsuit you might want to investigate the drysuit route.

Hi! I had the same problem with finding a wet suit...compounded by the problem that I ordered them online and had no idea how it would actually fit me! :)

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 112 or so, so I think your girlfriend is a bit more petite then I am.

So far, the Akona line of wetsuits has worked fantastically for me. I've got a 7mm and a 3mm in their women's medium (7/8) size. It fits snugly, but it's still comfortable. They've also got a women's small (5/6) that might fit well. Best of all, they are relatively inexpensive compared to other wet suits! The 7mm suit even has some features (padded zipper, glide skin on the wrists, neck, and ankles) that are usually found in more expensive suits.

I'd also like to add that if your girlfriend is anything like me (and so far, I've found that this usually holds true for us small framed types), she'll get chilly fairly quickly. You might consider extra neoprene in the form of a hood or hooded vest, or even a dry suit, if she's going to be diving colder waters on a regular basis.

As far as finding Akona wetsuits, I'm not familar with any dive shops in your area, but you can find Akona wetsuits at Scuba.com Diving Portal - Buy Scuba Gear & Scuba Diving Equipment.

Hope this helps!

Hello Everyone,
I absolutely cannot find a store or website that carries a wet suit for my girlfriend. She is 5'2'' and weighs about 105.

I have been in contact directly with Body Glove, Oneill, and Aqualung manufacturers, and they apparently don't make dive suits for small women or kids anymore. I know Henderson and some other brands make smaller suits, but I have yet to find one.

Does anyone know a site or location in southern California that sells smaller suits? Please help.

Thanks!

The new White's Fusion dry suit is actually easier to done than any wetsuit.

It has the flexibility of a 1 mm wet suit and all the perks of a dry suit.

I will never dive wet again after diving my Fusion. Nor will I ever dive my DUI TLS 350: the ultimate dry suit until now.......

Richard

PS: please pm me if any of you have doubts or questions

puttzer@likeicare.com

Hello Everyone,
I absolutely cannot find a store or website that carries a wet suit for my girlfriend. She is 5'2'' and weighs about 105.

I have been in contact directly with Body Glove, Oneill, and Aqualung manufacturers, and they apparently don't make dive suits for small women or kids anymore. I know Henderson and some other brands make smaller suits, but I have yet to find one.

Does anyone know a site or location in southern California that sells smaller suits? Please help.

Thanks!

You live in So Cal? Go to JMJ. They are in Torrance. They make some really nice custom suits but if you buy a Body Glove they are take in the side seams for a customized fit. Ask them. If you do go custom go with a local outfit where you can walk in to be measured.

I bought a small suit for my son at Dive N Surf (DNS). THey make then real small. Actually go in there. Don't call. DNS and Body Glove have common ownership. I know first hand they can fit children who are a lot smaller then for GF.

I have thousands of dives in drysuits, drysuits of every conceivable make and design. I will state, unequivacally, that it is far, far easier to deal with getting into and out of a skin two side Rubatex GN-231 wetsuit than it is to deal with getting in and out of any dry suit that I've ever used.

I agree. I use a 7mm wetsuit and a front zip drysuit. I switch back and forth. A wetsuit is quicker to put on. Standing there in my shorts I just put the drysuit on and it's done with. The drysuit requires first that I put on the under garments and then the suit. But I have to be careful with the latex seals and powder them. and then there are the rock boots. I takes me twice as long to put the drysuit on.

But then post dive. the drysuit is quicker. I just take it off and leave the undergarments on. All the others in their wetsuits are trying to dry off and find dry cloths and I just take the suit off and I'm done.

Over all however wetsuit diving is less complex and simple. Also the wetsuit slips through the water so easy. My drysuit has a lot of extra drag. But it's warmer.

But then post dive. the drysuit is quicker. I just take it off and leave the undergarments on. All the others in their wetsuits are trying to dry off and find dry cloths and I just take the suit off and I'm done.
Point of information: If you are diving a skin two side suit the material is dry in a matter of seconds.
Over all however wetsuit diving is less complex and simple. Also the wetsuit slips through the water so easy. My drysuit has a lot of extra drag. But it's warmer.
Agreed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom