Peter Hughes vs. Aggressor in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
I'm doing my 1st liveaboard this fall on the Turks and Caicos Explorer. Any experience with them ?

Most of the negatives I read about Nekton have to do with the quantity of divers, crowded dive decks and lack of nitrox.

Maybe I should try them all out, Aggressor, Peter Hughes, Nekton and Explorer.[/QUOTE

Absolutely correct. Expand your base of knowledge and share it as it develops. The TC Explorer is the oinly show in town - a great reason top go aboard her! The price structure is pretty much so the same as the Nekton, but their in room bathromm situation is a serious issue in my book.

It is the single best way to dive the T&C- some of the best dives are seldom visited by the land based ops. This is your chance to enjoy all that TC has to offer. Go for it.

All I can reflect on is what others have said about the Nekton and what I know about it. The first time you're on the dive deck, they stagger your arrival by room number. You rig your gear and retreat up to the briefing deck. On the first dive, it can get a bit elbow to elbow.

There are two factors for this. Everyone is all keyed up :11: , and has the need to be on the dive deck when the 'starting bell rings'. On this first dive prep- there's a lot of fussing :eyebrow: around. On subsequent dives, people trickle in and they're more attuned to their gear. I would say it's really no worse and probably a bit better than any other world class live aboard. My main complaint is they put you and your room mate dive buddy next to each other in the same seating bay. I would split them across from each other. Your 90's are bungied down, always rigged, and you sit on the deep stainless seat with large compartment for gear storage below your feet.

The big positive is that there is no stepping down to the dive deck/platform. You can do an entry off of either side, too high for some, but it's only 5' high- not a big deal. Or, you can amble down the 8' wide stainless steps that are 12" deep and maybe a 6" step, five of them (?) with center and side guard rails- then you're level with the water.

On your way up, there's a 10' stainless weighted hang bar and second stage hanging at 15fsw- a great place to zone out and watch the critters. There are two "christmas tree" ladders of substantial characcter for easy climbing to the dive deck staeps as mentioned before. There are always tag lines, john lines, and a pick up skiff in the water- along with a 'bubble watcher' on the top deck- a crewman who watches for lost guests.

As I said- I fall off of either of the sides of the aft dive deck, most buddies learn to follow me- it's quicker and easier. The dive deck is the width of the boat and maybe 15' long. It is raised for travel, then lowered for diving. You will learn about the "stairway to no-where".

Nitrox? I seem to have a cert card for that, but have never needed to access it on my Nekton profiles, and I get wet 5x a day. They seemed to have sufficient NitrOx for any who were aboard whenever I was there. I have read some internet stories in regards to issues, but if they held any currency, they seemed to be isolated in occurances. Call Nekton and flat out ask them what their system is. I know they have NitrOx dedicated tanks (obviously) and there is, by deffinition of the environment, only a limited number of them available on a cruise. One would suppose that they would take reservations for them if you wanted them. It never hurts to ask.

Each live aboard has its own specific flavor. :11ztongue Some are sweet, some are sour. Maybe you like yours "salty"? :wink:

Have fun- and post your opinions upon return!

ronrosa:
I'm doing my 1st liveaboard this fall on the Turks and Caicos Explorer. Any experience with them ?

Most of the negatives I read about Nekton have to do with the quantity of divers, crowded dive decks and lack of nitrox.

Maybe I should try them all out, Aggressor, Peter Hughes, Nekton and Explorer.

Hi Ron,

I just returned from my first liveaboard yesterday, aboard the T&C Explorer no less.

You'll love it!!! I actually met someone on the flight down who was traveling on the Aggressor, we compared some notes on the flight home. I also had an opprotunity to take a tour of the Aggressor that was docked next to it. From what I could see, you really couldn't make a bad choice.

I got the feeling that the Explorer was not quite as fancy as the Agrressor. The food, delicious and plentiful. No hot tub. I slept in one of the upper cabins, so I did not have any issues with sharing a bathroom.

The diving was great..25 dives in 5.5 days (I bailed on the last night dive). The crew was not only attentive, helpful and informative...they were also fun!!! Ask Brian about tank rides, Nicole about her tight rope walking skills or Julie about Shrek! They really were a great bunch.

If you want to gain some bonus points with the crew, bring movies and books along with you. Also, the latest info from American Idol, Survivor, etc.

The biggest tip that I walked away with was....pack less stuff, a lot less stuff!!! Bring your dive gear and maybe one third of the other stuff. You need the space, you won't need the stuff. If you can't store it in the space of a large cooler...you don't need it.

Tell them Jeff said hi.

Enjoy,

Jeff

My wife and I were on the Aggressor the first week of November last year, second week we spent on Ambergris Caye (Victoria House). Weather was fine and warm. Aggressor was our first live-aboard and had no problems. Crew was great, food was good, accommodations were fine. Best of all I didn't get sea sick :yelclap:

Took a flight to Tikal the second week and met people from the Nekton. They enjoyed that boat as well. From what they said it was a bit more crowded but still no complaints.

If you get a chance spend some time at Ambergris Caye, nice island to relax on and walk the beach, stopping for a brew here and there.

Have a great trip, we're off to Aussie end of June for our second Live-aboard. Guess we're hooked!

Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom