Peter Hughes vs. Aggressor in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolphinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to decide whether to go with Peter H or Aggressor for a liveaboard trip to Belize. We're thinking about going in early Nov. Anyone out there have any thoughts or experiences to share about either dive op or Belize that time of year?

:scubadive

We did Sun Dancer II early Nov 02. We enjoyed the trip a lot, good Peter Hughes service on a really nice boat. The boat often attracted large schools of fish like jacks underneath, which kept safety stops interesting. At night sometimes we were surrounded by many tarpon and other large fish feeding under the lights, made for some cool night dives as they were zooming all around. The weather wasn't too bad our week but vis apparently was down some due to rain/storms kicking things up the week before. Things were still a little rough and we skipped Turneffe as the conditions were better out at Lighthouse.

We did the zoo excursion on the last day and enjoyed it, worth doing. Also walked around Belize City a bit Friday afternoon, not touristy at all. There was a store which carried nice local crafts which is worth finding.

dolphinfish:
Trying to decide whether to go with Peter H or Aggressor for a liveaboard trip to Belize. We're thinking about going in early Nov. Anyone out there have any thoughts or experiences to share about either dive op or Belize that time of year?

:scubadive

November is the end, so to speak, of the Huricane season, the beginning of the "rainy season". Mother Nature has no precise calendar.

I would pick the Nekton, anyway.

RoatanMan:
November is the end, so to speak, of the Huricane season, the beginning of the "rainy season". Mother Nature has no precise calendar.

I would pick the Nekton, anyway.

Could you elaborate on your choice of Nekton over Aggressor and Peter Hughes ?

ronrosa:
Could you elaborate on your choice of Nekton over Aggressor and Peter Hughes ?

I haved been aboard every major live aboard that is currently in the Caribbean, quite often while it was under power, but rarely as a guest.

I have signed on maybe 9 different Caribbean liveaboards as a guest (some have changed ports of departure or name) and I find the Nekton fleet to be the most pleasant and consistent ships (this includes placing in the top 3 in my worldwide dive log).

The Nekton, due to their ugly box shaped SWATH hull design- they are simply not pontoon boats or catamarans- they are quite stable in even very rough weather. I have been aboard them in rolling 12's, and although not pleasant, it was quite survivable- and those conditions are an extreme and infrequent. SWATH places a large portion of the hull displacement well under the waves, allowing the knife like sponson uprights to slice thru the worst waves with relative ease.

Two quotes from their Chief Engineer: "It's the slowest moving condoi in the Caribbean" and "She's and ugly boat... but she's slow".

Speed is irrelevant. In all boats you move during meals and while sleeping. The Nekton does not always remain perfectly stable, but it develops a slow surging pitch, versus a swinging pendulum (as in monohulls) or lurch & yaw (as in catamarans).

The tables, counters and surfaces have no 1/4 round edging to keep stuff from sliding off. The tv is held in with one single bungee. The Kodak Carrousel slide projector sits atop an empty Carousel box. Nothing moves.

I keep my computer and stuff in the stateroom sink. Water NEVER sloshes out. The A/C is quite effective, boat protocol is politely maintained and the boat smells good.
The crew (in my many trips) has always presented a united, professional front. (God knows what happens below decks on ANY live aboard- the lifestyle has to be absolutely brutal) The crew always was on top of it, communicative, commodious, effusive not only in passenger interaction but in educational settings such as the nightly nature lecturette between dinner and diving.

The booking agency, I can remember their telephone number easily as 1-800-UW WORLD, will take you from your home to the ship and back. There is no fussing around, they will put you where you need to be, tell you who to wait for, remind you that your transfers are paid for, and make sure you are happy. After the first trip, you get a 10% frequent diver discount.

Some will decry the fact that the Nekton doesn't do Belizian trademark dives such as the Blue Hole. Having seen it once voluntarily, a second time because a dive buddy had to see it, i will tell you that the best view of the BH is from above on TACA at 20,000' while flying from Houston to Roatan. The isolation of the BH, it's extreme depth, and the lack of any sort of immediate evac make the BH a dive of dubious value.

The draw of the ship is also another issue in Belize. The Nekton docks on the far S edge of Belize City at the "Government Dock". They pick you up at the airport, but take you to the main town pier where all of the other liveaboards dock. You relax and play at the hotel there with a nice bar, great pool (bring your suit) and medium bad restaurant. Kick bqack while the Nekton is being readied and your baggage is being stowed in your room. Take a look at the monohull liveaboards that are also plying Belizian waters. they'll be docked there and welcome visiting divers. Take a good look at the boat- think about the layout and accomodations. A great opportunity to look them over before you would put money on them.

The Nekton is one of the few vessels that looks better in person than in a brochure. The Hughes and the Aggressor were refitted from oil platform supply/repair boats. The Nekton was built for divers by divers.

The Nekton limo-bus driver will pick you up in the afternoon and you'll take an E Ticket Cab Ride down the Government Pier- be sure to sit up front!

Not that I'm biased.

We decided to give Nekton a try based mainly on your comments. Do you know how they lay out the cabins? We are in cabin 1, any idea where that is on the ship - are there any differences in the cabins? Our trip is 5/8 to 5/15 - Belize south end. Why did you say to sit up front on the limo ride? We will be staying in Ambergris Caye for 4 days prior to trip then fly over to Belize City. Have you heard if anyone has had any whale shark sitings this spring yet?

Cabin 1-4 (as I recall) are on the main deck. They are the easiest access since to get to all other cabins, you have to descend a spiral or regular staircase to get to the lower level, where the bulk of the cabins are situated.

Since I always book trips at the last minute (work schedules) I usualy am downstairs. I have had cabins on both- not much real difference. Best bet, call them and ask- as you look at the cabin layouts depicted on the website www.nektoncruises.com When you get there, look at all of the cabin types. I prefer to be on the main deck- one less staircase for this old man, but the rooms seem equal to the lower deck.

Sit up front of the van on the ride to the Nekton because the Government Pier- although its of solid metal construction and state of the art- seems to have a bit of a roller coaster wave built into it. Quite exhillararting.

Whale Sharks? Several sightings this last week at CoCo View (90 miles SW), the best times seem to be at full moon in the months April, May- It certainly is not out of the question.

Go to Belize (or Roatan) not for the big critters. Go to see the macro life. Sharpen your observational skills, follow the DM. Look for Pipefish, babies of all kinds, Seahorses, Crustaceans, Octopus, Squid... the big stuff is just a bonus.

Scubajeanie,

I will be on the Aggressor at the same time. I'll be sure to wave if we pass by each other.

dnhill

RoatanMan:
I haved been aboard every major live aboard that is currently in the Caribbean, quite often while it was under power, but rarely as a guest.

I have signed on maybe 9 different Caribbean liveaboards as a guest (some have changed ports of departure or name) and I find the Nekton fleet to be the most pleasant and consistent ships (this includes placing in the top 3 in my worldwide dive log).

I'm doing my 1st liveaboard this fall on the Turks and Caicos Explorer. Any experience with them ?

Most of the negatives I read about Nekton have to do with the quantity of divers, crowded dive decks and lack of nitrox.

Maybe I should try them all out, Aggressor, Peter Hughes, Nekton and Explorer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom