PETA Corrects Obama - Unbelievable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say dip em in honey they lay them on a fire ant nest...lets see how humane they are then!

090619beelertoon_c20090619015618.jpg

These are the very same people who thought that people would stop killing and eating those poor adorable fish by renaming them "Sea Kittens!" No joke!

I'd like to see what the PETA folks so with ants, bees, mosquitoes and the like when they are NOT in front of the cameras.

Kind of a highjack....but... the subject of the Sea Sheppard "people" was brought up. I have been wondering about them....

Are the whaling ships they target breaking the law? I'm asking because I don't know, not to make a point.

If they are, then the Sea Sheppard "people" need to stop making TV shows and use the courts to deal with the problem.

If it is not illegal, and for that matter even if it is (is vigilantism legal in International waters?), why isn't the Capt in jail for assault, battery, piracy, racketeering, etc? The evidence is all on tape, it seems he is the head of a criminal enterprise.

Sinbad... it depends on how sincerely you accept the statements that the whaling effort is for "scientific purposes." Personally, I don't. However, Norway and Iceland make few bones about violating the IWC's ban.

About a decade ago when I was still overseeing the removal of feral pigs and goats (both natives of Europe, not North America) which were causing serious ecological harm to the native species and ecosystems of our island, I suggested that all of us make choices as to what we are willing to deem a "pest" and therefore kill. I spoke about mosquitos and flies which few have any problems doing in with a fly swatter as the equivalent to killing a pig or goat. After all, if life itself is sacred, all life should be. However, many of those in opposition to our attempts to repair the damaged ecosystems here failed to see their own hypocrisy.

As for PETA, they seem to be dominated by urban dwellers who wouldn't really understand ecosystem functioning in natural systems based on my interactions with some of the animal rights folks. They seem to feel it is fine for a non-native critter to kill and eat the native species in a place they've been introduced by humans, but it is not OK for humans to kill these pests.

Personally, I stopped hunting and underwater game taking back in 1975. However, I fully recognize my role as an omnivore in the global biological community (which I used to call "The Mutual Eating Society" when I taught high school biology). I know that the foods I eat are usually animal flesh and have no problem with that. However, I do prefer that the animals raised for food be treated reasonably and that the hunters who kill the game I eat treat their quarry respectfully.

Sinbad... it depends on how sincerely you accept the statements that the whaling effort is for "scientific purposes." Personally, I don't. However, Norway and Iceland make few bones about violating the IWC's ban.

About a decade ago when I was still overseeing the removal of feral pigs and goats (both natives of Europe, not North America) which were causing serious ecological harm to the native species and ecosystems of our island, I suggested that all of us make choices as to what we are willing to deem a "pest" and therefore kill. I spoke about mosquitos and flies which few have any problems doing in with a fly swatter as the equivalent to killing a pig or goat. After all, if life itself is sacred, all life should be. However, many of those in opposition to our attempts to repair the damaged ecosystems here failed to see their own hypocrisy.

As for PETA, they seem to be dominated by urban dwellers who wouldn't really understand ecosystem functioning in natural systems based on my interactions with some of the animal rights folks. They seem to feel it is fine for a non-native critter to kill and eat the native species in a place they've been introduced by humans, but it is not OK for humans to kill these pests.

Personally, I stopped hunting and underwater game taking back in 1975. However, I fully recognize my role as an omnivore in the global biological community (which I used to call "The Mutual Eating Society" when I taught high school biology). I know that the foods I eat are usually animal flesh and have no problem with that. However, I do prefer that the animals raised for food be treated reasonably and that the hunters who kill the game I eat treat their quarry respectfully.

I would agree on the peta and most animal rights organizations in general. IMO there is a missing part of that discussion called reason and the human place in the ecosystem. A lt of these people should spend some time in rural america, see what happens when a couple of cute little puppies go feral. Those packs grow quickly and if you happen upon one that's grown to 5 or 6, you better be armed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom