Pervasive Fallacy about Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In post #179 you were pretty much right on but now, I think you blew it.

NWGratefulDiver:
By the way ... as you can see, this little fellow uses split fins. As you can also see, he has some difficulty keeping his fins off the bottom ... :D

littlegrunt.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dude, 30 posts on one thread in 4 days, 40 posts total in those 4 days. With all that spare time, if you got another job you might earn enough money to go diving. I dive every day so it took me a couple days to come up with this.

Temple of Doom:
Recently quoted in a thread about split fins:

basically if you have to push through the water (against a current, with lots of mass on you, or bulky with a drysuit) then you need stiff fins that will get you through

i think of stiff fins as low gear and split fins as high gear ... high gear is useless to climb a hill

my style of diving is definetely low gear

This oft-quoted myth/fallacy about split fins. It sounds plausible, but it's actually a terrible analogy. I'm not focusing on the specific poster, this argument comes up time and again.
If I read the origional post right, the origional offending perverse phalacy is low gear vs high gear, but you may have even confused yourself with stiff fins (navels vs oranges?). As I read the reviews and tests, stiff splits perform better than soft splits, yet we all seem to have assumed you meant non-splits. Due to the high resistance of water, drift diving is the only diving not like climbing a hill and all dive fins are low gear!

If I dive with splits at 1knt I have a faster kick cycle than when I dive with non-splits at 1knt. In this comparison splits seem like a lower gear, engine running faster at same speed. In truth you have to change your technique to achieve this result. This change in technnique is the crux of the biscuit, everything is not equal! They are both low gear; splits appear to be a taller low gear than non-splits but probably do not have as much torque at lower speeds. Non-splits would seem to me to be a lower low gear.

Temple of Doom:
See the only thing I'd want people to understand is that if you believe the test results that show people consistently swimming faster with split fins than with padles, with *everything* else being equal, then you have to accept that they are the more efficient fin.
If is a big word! A Lambo' is faster than a Yugo, does that mean a Lambo' is more efficient than a Yugo? In the test results you want us to believe, where is the caloric and gas consumption data to conclude one fin is more efficient than another? I was unable to find exactly how efficiency was measured, please enlighten me. I believe the tests showed people going faster in splits but I most definately don't have to accept that they are the most efficient fin!

Temple of Doom:
I don't have a lot of experience with either type of fin, which is why I wouldn't ever say which ones are better or worse (even after man-months with each in the water, I'd still be only qualified to make a statement like that for me). One thing I am good at is seperating fact from opinion, reading and assessing comprehensive tests, and addressing logical fallacies so prevelant in every one of these X vs Y debates.
Your skill level at addressing logical phallacies in debates is a minority opinion many of us are trying to seperate from fact, and why can't you open your mind to the logical phallacies in the supposed comprehensive tests you are slapping us in the face with?

Temple of Doom:
Swiming with fins provides the same thrust at all swiming speeds (very, very nearly). Further, even if it were applicable, splitfins are low gear, paddle fins are high gear!
Are you sure a gentle kick results in very, very nearly the same thrust as a strong kick? That's what I would call an illogical phallacy! Also, if paddle fins are high gear, shouldn't you be able to go faster than the low gear fins?

Temple of Doom:
Scientific tests by universities, magazines, and independant divers have repeatedly shown that split fins are more efficient (deliver more thrust for the same effort) while swimming forward.
Please show us the data from one of each (universities, magazines, and independant) showing caloric and/or gas consumption. How exactly could you measure efficiency for a diver without this data? Also, with different finning technique, how exactly do you come up with the same exact effort?

Temple of Doom:
Splits are shown to be more efficient. Moving forward at the same speed, the same diver will exert less energy with splits than with paddles. Conversely, exerting the same energy, the same diver will travel forward faster with splits than with paddles.
As far as I have seen, most of the tests are about going as fast as possible. How exactly do you conclude the results will be the same at all speeds? Those of us with any inkling of the scientific method cringe at statements like this (most of your statements?)!

Temple of Doom:
The topic is designed to explain that there are objective truths about different fins. Often in discussions about the two types of fins, people make statements that are objectively false. That's something that should be pointed out and corrected.
Now that's the pot calling the kettle black. You assume a lot, and a lot of us refuse to be the 'me in the old saying. IMHO most of your 30 posts in this thread have objective falsehoods in them and some have now been pointed out and corrected.

CompuDude:
And finally, the tests that no one in this thread seemed to have linked for some reason, and should really be here for purposes of completeness. Particularly relevant in light of the charges that all of the other tests cited were surely polluted and slanted towards the fins the advertisers wanted pushed:
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/grier/fins.html

This test has been referenced and linked, more than once prior to your post. I was able to find small anecdotal gas consumption data where splits resulted in more gas used than a pair of non-splits (dry suit diving). With regard to the pollution and slants, J.W. Grier, NDSU, was signifigantly involved with Rodale's Scuba Diving when his tests were done.

halemano:
If I read the origional post right, the origional offending perverse phalacy is low gear vs high gear....
Freudian?

Don Janni:
In post #179 you were pretty much right on but now, I think you blew it.
It was a joke, Don ... an attempt to poke fun at the very thing this thread was created to discuss (pervasive fallacies) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

CompuDude:
(That was referring to speed) The speed potential of the fins is listed in one of the tests, where I believe the fastest fin ever tested (by a pro swimmer) just topped 4kts.
OK ... I can see a professional swimmer doing 4 kt, wearing nothing but fins and a speedo ... but given the context of the thread, I thought we were discussing using these fins for scuba diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It was a joke, Don ... an attempt to poke fun at the very thing this thread was created to discuss (pervasive fallacies) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay.... guess I don't get the joke part of it. I have to assume you're saying that while this little fellows fins are split he can swin like the wind, turn on a dime and back track with the best of them.

halemano:
Your skill level at addressing logical phallacies in debates is a minority opinion many of us are trying to seperate from fact, and why can't you open your mind to the logical phallacies in the supposed comprehensive tests you are slapping us in the face with?

[/B].

Phallacies?? What would Freud say about that?

definitely freudian.

halemano:

halemano:
If I read the origional post right, the origional offending perverse phalacy is low gear vs high gear....

Don Janni:
Okay.... guess I don't get the joke part of it. I have to assume you're saying that while this little fellows fins are split he can swin like the wind, turn on a dime and back track with the best of them.
He's amazingly quick ... although he tends not to go very far ... and never gets more than an inch or so off the bottom. But he's very high on the "cute" scale, and prized by local photographers ... :wink:

But it is interesting to note that even among the underwater "natives" there are those who prefer splits and those who prefer paddles ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom