Pervasive Fallacy about Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me see if I can get this straight.
Imagine the following scenario:

Diver is kicking a course that's xyz ft. long.
In splits, flutter kicking...it takes 20+ kick cycles.
In paddles, frog kicking (kick and glide)...it takes 10 or less. As an added bonus, the divers behind them can still see where they're going without following a silt trail.

...and some people think splits are more efficient?
"I have to kick MORE with fins to go the same distance. Obviously they're more efficient than paddles!"
What the heck? Does anyone around here have a basic understanding of hydrodynamics? :confused:

I don't understand it. Why anyone other than someone with knee issues would want to use splits is completely beyond me.

edit: Oh and the argument that splits are faster/better in current than paddles really makes me laugh. Who gives a rat's patootie if they're faster?! Am I on scuba to freakin' RACE someone?? I didn't know this was a competition! Please, let me know next time. :shakehead
Cavers use Jets/paddles in high flow caves all the time. I've never heard someone say "Gee whiz, I really wish I had my splits in that last cave...they're so much faster than my paddles..."

This whole argument is a waste of time. Nobody uses fins to swim. Everyone should learn the fine use of these items to improve their locomotion:

Awesome fins

This item is the DIW fin of choice. All you split fin and paddle fin fans should bow down to the superior product. My question is this: Do these fins come in splits?

Well, why not?

Benthic:
Nice rhetoric. In the passage I quoted Pendergast simply said that the physical principles that apply to airfoil and propeller design may not necessarily translate directly to the design of fins. I don't know how the heck you leapt from that to 'aerodyamically impossible.' :shakehead

Look at his results. It's right there in black and white. Paddles are more efficient than split fins. However I see that you, and many others have your minds made up. So I'll go away and quit bothering you with documented and published empirical data. Feel free to resume the objective speculation at your leisure.

Brian
I hadn't read it at first, because you hadn't mentioned any specifics, and it requires a registration to view. After your previous post I registered tonight and read it through fairly thoroughly. Have you read it Brian or did you just skim it? I can understand just skimming such a long report, but I can't understand holding something up as truth without reading it and agreeing with it.

Reference: Evaluation of fins used in underwater swimming.
Pendergast et. al. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Spring;30(1):57-73.
RRR ID: 3936

Before I get started, note that the only 'paddle' that comes close to the Apollo is the Mares Attack, a full-foot free-diving fin. I thought we were talking about scuba fins. Not to mention that full foot fins compared to open heel fins will have significant performance differences. So right off the bat we're not talking apples to apples here...

I noticed a great number of internal inconsistencies, that as a member of Rubicon, perhaps you could clarify for me. I doubt you'll read through my whole post, but just skimming it gives an impression of the quality and applicability of the science.

Here are just some of the issues I've found with the report, it's conclusions, and your conclusions from the report (pretty much in order from least to most relevant):

1. There are several typos, which while aren't necessarily salient to the findings, they do speak to the 'professionalism' of the report itself. Table 3 lists Maximal Tethered Force as being measured in Neutrons, for crying out loud! Apollo fins are referenced as Appolo fins. Table 2 is referenced as Table 3, etc.

2. While mere typos aren't that important, much more serious errors can be found. The report confuses the fins it is speaking about, referencing one when it means the other. While describing Table 5, the report writes "The Apollo fins possess the lowest Froude efficiency", however the table clearly shows the Apollo fins as possessing the highest Froude efficiency, with 72%! Later in that paragraph it states that "the Apollo (Taped) and Quattro fins each have Froude efficiencies well above 60%" The chart lists the Apollo (Taped) fins as having the lowest efficiency at 44%. This error is obvious as the inconsistency directly contradicts itself. You must ask what other results did they confuse, were these most and least efficient fins (Apollos and Apollos with duct tape) confused elsewhere?

It's not just the analysis that is inaccurate, if you look at point 4, you'll see the data itself has typographic errors as well! So, I caught a few substantive errors in the analysis and data, because they were glaringly obvious, but one has to wonder where else is the data just incorrect?

3. The tests were done in an Annular pool. An annular pool is like a water treadmill. I'll be the first to repeat that current is relative, so it shouldn't matter, but an annular pool is circular. As such every result was for a diver swimming in a 30m radius circle. I have no idea how it affects the results, but it does cast serious doubts about the validity or aplicability of the results to a diver swimming in a straight direction. Further for measurements of Efficiency, Work, and Thrust both legs were assumed to be doing the same thing. Again, it's definite that when swimming a circle, the legs will be performing differently. How this affect is different for each fin is unknown to me or anybody else. This casts serious doubts on the validity of the efficiency, work, and thrust data.

4. The standard deviation of the results is often quite high. Several examples: In Table 2, for VO2 max, the average standard deviation of the results was over 28% of the mean. This value is quite high, and indicates poor reproduceability of the results (poor reproduceability = poor science). In Table 3 for aerobic velocity of Apollos the report lists the standard deviation as 114% of the velocity! Doubtless they meant "0.09m/s" instead of "0.90m/s", but this is another glaring transcription or recording error in the data being used to draw conclusions. Let's assume the data was transcribed incorrectly, and they meant 0.09m/s, that's still 11.4% relative standard deviation. And when the difference between the top fin and the second from bottom fin is only 0.08m/s, you have to wonder how they can find it possible to draw any conclusions at all (one of their conclusions on aerobic velocity is that the top fins were 6% faster, that's half the relative standard deviation, well within the margain for error!).

5. Average velocity measurements for all fins have different start speeds, different durations, and different accelleration of effort! Average velocity was not measured from a stop, but measured from "the slowest kick speed the diver could maintain". Further, the divers then took 20 to 40 seconds (Holy smoke 100% difference!) to accellerate their kicking to their fastest possible. They didn't take those 20 to 40 seconds to reach top speed, rather they gradually increased their effort to maximum. What does this tell you? Well it tells you that the velocity measurements are complete bunk. I can't comprehend how you can extrapolate any data out of a test like this. The diver is gradually changing his amount of effort during the run. That means that from run to run the accelleration curve of effort will be significantly different. If that accelleration curve is different, then the average velocity will be different for the same fins from run to run. Perhaps this is one of the reasons the standard deviation was so high. Had they run a test which was from a stand-still to a set distance as fast as the diver could, you could draw some conclusions, but as it is, it's useless.

I could continue pointing out curiosities and problems (take a look at how they calculated efficiency. They used 4 of the 8 fins to determine a diver's base drag and then used that for calculation for all fins), but I think my point is more than proved:

This report is questionable at best.

But wait! What if we assume that this report is perfectly scientifically valid?

Assuming the report is valid (not a great assumption), then the report's own conclusions state:
1) Apollo split fins are the most efficient of the fins tested (more efficient even than the full foot free-diving fins!)
2) Apollo split fins have a higher aerobic velocity than all other scuba fins tested.
3) Apollo split fins and the full-foot free-diving fins have better performance than the other fins tested.

Personally, I don't think any of those conclusions are actually supported by this report.

Craig

Benthic:
Nice rhetoric. In the passage I quoted Pendergast simply said that the physical principles that apply to airfoil and propeller design may not necessarily translate directly to the design of fins. I don't know how the heck you leapt from that to 'aerodyamically impossible.' :shakehead

Look at his results. It's right there in black and white. Paddles are more efficient than split fins. However I see that you, and many others have your minds made up. So I'll go away and quit bothering you with documented and published empirical data. Feel free to resume the objective speculation at your leisure.

Brian
Okay... I'll put it into simpler terms...

For those that have switched to splits, and find they offer greater comfort, are less exhausting to use, precipitate fewer cramps, generate greater thrust and energy, as many on this board have found, then Pendergast's pontifications (which is apparently somewhat confused -- see above), theories, fluid dynamics, and all the empirical data in the world, doesn't mean crap.

Understand now?

BKP:
For those that have switched to splits, and find they offer greater comfort, are less exhausting to use
If kicking is exhausting, I know of three remedies:
1: quit diving, because you're out of shape
2: SLOW DOWN
3: hit the gym

Temple of Doom--you're quite convinced about this for someone who has <24 dives, according to your profile. Go out and dive some more and stop pontificating about splits. :shakehead

Hi Craig,

Thanks for including the reference.

Temple of Doom:
Reference: Evaluation of fins used in underwater swimming.
Pendergast et. al. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Spring;30(1):57-73.
RRR ID: 3936
Temple of Doom:
So right off the bat we're not talking apples to apples here...
18 pages of "apples to apples" later... I have to refer to the title. "Evaluation" not comparison. To try and make a comparison is flawed no matter where the work is done or presented.

Temple of Doom:
I noticed a great number of internal inconsistencies, that as a member of Rubicon, perhaps you could clarify for me. I doubt you'll read through my whole post, but just skimming it gives an impression of the quality and applicability of the science.
I am wondering what Rubicon has to do with this? The reference for this paper is: Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Spring;30(1):57-73. and can be found in PubMed: 12841609. I am glad we are able to make this research available to the public. If anyone is interested where other research can be found online, please download my presentation on Diving Medical Literature.

Temple of Doom:
1. There are several typos, which while aren't necessarily salient to the findings, they do speak to the 'professionalism' of the report itself. Table 3 lists Maximal Tethered Force as being measured in Neutrons, for crying out loud! Apollo fins are referenced as Appolo fins. Table 2 is referenced as Table 3, etc.
Interesting, please take this up with the editor of the Journal

Temple of Doom:
I could continue pointing out curiosities and problems (take a look at how they calculated efficiency. They used 4 of the 8 fins to determine a diver's base drag and then used that for calculation for all fins), but I think my point is more than proved:
This was navy research, it always comes back to one calculation. :D But how would you suggest accounting for drag, diver anthropometrics, etc? Each of the rest of those points was answered by you above:
Temple of Doom:
So right off the bat we're not talking apples to apples here...
Could it be that different equipment requires slightly different methods to achieve the purpose of the "evaluation"? Maybe... Again, not my call. I do have to wonder how else you could collect the information that is used...

Temple of Doom:
This report is questionable at best.
Sorry, but for me... I have to take his years of experience, grant that made it through review to be funded, publication that did make it through peer review, and methods; over Net "Pontification" any day. Oh, he is at Buffalo, working with and around Clause would just be cool too.

Temple of Doom:
Personally, I don't think any of those conclusions are actually supported by this report.
Thanks for your thoughts.

BKP:
Striking similarity to the idea that helicopters were aerodynamically impossible...

...that is, until they built it... and flew it...
So... split fins don't exist and can't be tested... cool. :wink: sorry, could not help myself. (And I think fisher may be on to something with the pink...)

SparticleBrane:

This the same advice you give runners who start swimming or biking? :wink:

Gene_Hobbs:
18 pages of "apples to apples" later... I have to refer to the title. "Evaluation" not comparison. To try and make a comparison is flawed no matter where the work is done or presented.

I couldn't agree more. Any conclusions based on the comparisions are suspicious at best. Holding this report up as evidence that paddles or splits are better is pointless.

Craig

So ... a hundred and seventy-something replies later we come to the inescapable conclusion that there is no such thing as "best" or "most efficient" fin ... because what all of these tests and studies fail to provide is a context. Diving isn't just about speed, or a given type of fin kick, or how much "vortex" a given fin provides ... it's also about technique, conditions, and payload.

The simple fact is that all fins ... like every other piece of scuba equipment ... come with advantages and drawbacks. No one can say what comprises "most efficient" ... only what is "most efficient" for them, based on their individual needs, goals, and style of diving. And each of those is going to be based on variables that evolve with your experiences.

For most recreational diving, split fins are fine. I used them for about three years, and loved them. They cost a lot more than the fins I'm using now but after more than six hundred and fifty dives, I sold them for about $60 less than I paid for them ... which essentially paid for the Turtles I purchased to replace them.

For technical diving, well ... there's a reason why most tech agencies mandate a stiff, paddle fin. Those who are inclined to pursue this style of diving learn ... through experience ... what those reasons are. For everyone else, they're inconsequential because they really don't have an impact on how you dive.

Discussions like this are entertaining ... but let's face it ... nobody's changed their mind about which style of fins they prefer. That answer really depends on how you're using them ... and no "study" is going to answer that question for you.

You need to go diving and try them out for yourself. And as your diving technique evolves, or you start doing more aggressive dives that require changes in your setup, re-evaluate your fin choices ... you may discover that "most efficient" takes on a different meaning with a change in context.

You can only learn so much by studying what's available on the Internet ... some things you just have to discover for yourself by taking it to the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SparticleBrane:
1: Not everyone's at the top of their form, which doesn't necessarily mean they should hang up diving, when an "easier" way to dive is available...
2: Slowing down doesn't ease the task if you find yourself in a long surface swim, or trying to buck the current...
3: I agree... never hurts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom