Personal underwater audio solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally would not dive with someone using an underwater radio, mp3, ipod, etc. Sounds are very important to me when it comes to getting someones attention, hearing boat motors, etc. even snorkeling seems to me to be a way of relaxing. If someone needs music THAT BAD perhaps diving is not the sport for them. Seems they'd be better off sitting at home or in a bar with all that noise in their ears. When in the water I enjoy the silence and natural sounds of my own breathing and the environment. Guess it's like a city dweller with a Hummer. just another yuppie gimmick with no practical reason for having it other than to say "lookie what I got, a useless piece of crap but it's expensive and it's my crap!"

JimLap:
I personally would not dive with someone using an underwater radio, mp3, ipod, etc. Sounds are very important to me when it comes to getting someones attention, hearing boat motors, etc. even snorkeling seems to me to be a way of relaxing. If someone needs music THAT BAD perhaps diving is not the sport for them. Seems they'd be better off sitting at home or in a bar with all that noise in their ears. When in the water I enjoy the silence and natural sounds of my own breathing and the environment. Guess it's like a city dweller with a Hummer. just another yuppie gimmick with no practical reason for having it other than to say "lookie what I got, a useless piece of crap but it's expensive and it's my crap!"

Guess you haven't tried one...

All music isn't played at a ear splitting level and many find music enhances the experience.

I sure like my MP3 player when I ski, don't know about diving though.

Back in the old days we did play with using a housed cassette tape player to provide "real time" run-time instructions. (e.g. "start up stopping at 60 feet for 4 min. - Mark." "leave 60 feet stopping at 40 feet for 6 min - Mark." It was too much trouble and too annoying.

So long as you keep it to yourself. Unfortunately, sound tends to carry very well in water.

ScubaMike14:
There's nothing cooler than cruising around a pretty reef listening to some Sting or classical piano. And Godsmack is awesome on a shark feed!

Mike Rushton

Um, it's not like I am bringing along 10 inch speakers and a sub-woofer. The speakers from an Ipod fit inside your ear. With the volume turned up all the way, a person sitting next to you on a plane cannot hear it.

ScubaMike14:
Um, it's not like I am bringing along 10 inch speakers and a sub-woofer. The speakers from an Ipod fit inside your ear. With the volume turned up all the way, a person sitting next to you on a plane cannot hear it.

this thread is starting to play out like a parent-teen conversation:D

I can't say whether I'm for or against underwater Ipods, but personally I have enough stuff hanging on me to worry about already.
Although a flying drift dive across Palancar reef listening to Orinoco Flow by Enya does sound awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom