Personal underwater audio solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sephiro444

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a long-time lurker, new poster to the forum, but I have appreciated the immense help folks on here have been in my hunts for more essential gear than is the subject of this particular thread. I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

Although it seems to be the red-headed stepchild in the world of scuba gear, I am curious about the possibility of taking some light music with me under the waves. My hope would be a very soft, light complement to the visuals and other ocean sounds, not an attempt to drown out the pleasant melodies of the deep -- mostly classical music, perhaps some very light, new age-y stuff like Enya or Myst.

My search has turned up relatively little successfully. Most of the underwater audio players (and all of the iPod-related solutions) have been limited to a depth from 3ft to 15ft, far too little for scuba. The only deeper solution seems to be the DV Series from H2O Audio. This might be acceptable, but seeing as I own at least one mp3 player by another major manufacturer, I'd like to find some way to use that if at all possible. That being said, the DV series players seem like they would work, so can anyone offer any experience with them?

What about the iPod housings? Has anyone learned what happens if you take them far below their rated depths?

Just to be clear: I have searched these boards extensively for some of these answers, and I am aware of the safety warnings and general sentiment with regard to this topic. Safety would be something I would be highly concerned about if I took an audio player underwater, and I would do whatever I could, limiting the volume and discontinuing if it proved dangerously distracting. I'm also aware of the need to take care that it does not interfere with OTHER divers' enjoyment of their own pure, meditational bliss. Lastly, I have heard repeatedly that many, many divers prefer the sounds of the ocean and would never consider taking anything so uncouth as music into the world down below. I appreciate all these responses on the subject of underwater audio, but they are not the replies I am trying to elicit here. :)

Sorry for the length of this post! Thanks again for all the help locating my BC, regulator, mask, fins and many others.

-Sephiro444

just a thought...
woulddn't having earpieces in your ears affect equalization?

I have used an Ipod with a click wheel in an Otterbox housing to a depth of 25 feet. The problem is that at that shallow a depth there is too much pressure on the click wheel to make it work. You have to set the Ipod to "shuffle" before putting it in the housing.

I have a pair of $50 waterproof earbuds that work quite well and caused no issue with equalization, at least to the 25 foot depth.

However, my Otterbox WAS NOT watertight and wound up flooding. So now I am out an Ipod. I am currently working on a prototype housing of my own that will be good to a depth of at least 200 feet. I should be done with it in a month or so and will post my results.

Mike Rushton

ScubaMike14,

You had my hopes up with the Otterbox, but you're right, I hadn't considered what the depth would do to the pressure sensitive touch wheel. It sounds like if I absolutely have to have my music underwater, the H2O Audio solution is about my only choice.

Has anyone had actual experience using them, though? Is the sound clear enough? And more importantly, will other people swimming in my vicinity be bothered by them??

Pelican recently released this new case:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=i1010

They have a strong history of making a very quality product.

With any solid watertight case, the click wheel is out of comission for you. Just set up your playlist adjust your volume and listen.

Omicron,

That case (as well as the i1030) looks excellent! But neither mention a maximum depth at which they can be taken...

Can we assume that since they are both "watertight" they can go to any depth? Or am I missing something in the specs?

Nothing goes to "any depth" unless it is solid all the way through.

The i1030 looks more like a water-resistant storage case than a "take it down with me" case. The i1010 looks a little better, more designed to actually hold the iPod ON you, but still I doubt it's designed for depth. Perhaps a phone call to Pelican?

There was a thread in dive accessories some time back about various dry boxes from Pelican, Otter, and other big names, and I seem to recall none of them were any good below 25 feet, in spite of the "waterproof" description. They're all more designed to float your gear and keep it safe and dry on the surface should it fall off the boat.

You'll need to find something engineered to take some real depth, which will have a real depth rating.

I seem to recall reading a thread about a guy who wanted to take an emergency radio down with him and took a casing originally designed for a canister light's battery as a waterproof case that worked well. (may have been the same thread, actually)

If you're the handy sort, you could get just about any case along those lines (buy a cheap dead one from ebay) and try to modify the power connections to work as a headphone connector. Hit play, seal the case, and you're good to dive with a pressure-rated, safe container.

I was diving with my girlfriends brother in law and he likes to dive with his ipod. It was a huge hit with the dive masters and boat captains down in the dominican republic. They all took turns listening to it above and below the water. I'll see him tonight and find out exactly what he uses then let you know. I'm pretty sure he's taken it to at least 70 fsw so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom