Personal underwater audio solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a really cool idea! I never even thought about trying to dive w/ music. Do you think this idea just appeals to divers, or it's something snorklers/swimmers (ie bait) would be interested in? I work in electronic retailing (Home Shopping) and the network is always on the lookout for interesting new products/ideas.

Those pelican cases are pretty dang tough - I wouldn't doubt that they would hold up to some pretty significant depth. Call them first, but we've abused the absolute daylights out of those things and they hold up to everything.

If you know someone that has a small pelican case, take it with you on a few dives and just see what happens to it. I doubt they would leak, and I'm pretty sure that iPod case is made the same way their other cases are. At least I think :) I've only seen them in the catalog at my LDS, so I haven't gotten to actually play with one yet. I'm sorely tempted to get one for myself.

Audio clues are the only way your buddy can get your attention if you are not in direct visual contact. As inviting as music sounds consider the safety problems with not being able to hear your buddy as he frantically bangs on his tank because he is entrapped or needs air since you are grooving to your tunes and can't hear him or her.

Mike

I dropped an email to Pelican regarding the i1010, but they have yet to reply. I'm outside the US at the moment so it's not worth an international telephone call, so unless they respond that way or I hear otherwise, I doubt I'll end up getting one.

Any other suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

scuba spark:
Ok, I spoke with him last night. He uses an i river and the case is depth rated to 200 feet. Here's a link to the case itself https://secure17.nexternal.com/shar...2=366752266&ProductID=105&Target=products.asp

I think you can get the player and the case in a package for under $200.

This case IS NOT for an Ipod. It's for a player that many people on the board have posted about. Not sure of the manufacturer, but it's about 6 inches long, 2 inches wide and is blue in color. I think it holds about 200 songs or so.

Nothing out there that seems to work for the Ipod yet. The Pelican case is nice, but I doubt it is good below 20 feet or so. I'll contact them and see what I can find out.

Mike Rushton

I emailed Pelican about the i1010 and while it took a few days, I did get a response:

Dear Sir: In reply to your question about the depth rating our on our i1010. It was not designed to be submerged at all. That is why it does not show a depth rating.

This case is for use strictly above water.

Nora Wainwright
Sales Technician
Pelican Products, Inc

So that answers that... It looks like you're right at this point, ScubaMike14. There don't appear to be any viable solutions to the iPod as yet. And with my dive trip coming up on the 12th, my interest as far as that trip goes is waning. Maybe someday...

I don't believe that it's an underwater case. Surface protection only I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom