Personal Responsibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal responsibility pertains to corporations, as well.

The McDonald's story is classic of "partial truth gets the news". Here's the rest of the story:
Fact: McDonald's superheats (above boiling) the water they blow through their coffee, so they can get more cups per pound of coffee. (or they used to, don't now)
Fact: They had received more that 1,700 complaints of serious injury to customers and staff, prior to this famous case.
Fact: The woman involved received 3rd degree burns to her privates, butt, and legs. That means her skin literally cooked.

So, do you, as a consumer, expect to be burned if you spill coffee on yourself? Yeah, probably. Do you expect to be COOKED, needing months of repair surgery, and godawful pain, because of the corporate greed that wanted to get a few more cups of coffee from that pound? Corporate that -- it was proven! -- knew full well that this was happening?

But yes - I believe in personal responsibility. I do not want the world to pad its sharp corners because of one or two idiots . . . but nor do I expect them to leave a sinkhole in the middle of an expressway . . .

We've been seeing a lot of ads for this company, down in suit happy south florida

Whocanisue.com: Find Attorneys - Find Lawyers: Car Accidents - Foreclosure - Wrongful Termination - Divorce - DUI - Bankruptcy

Why play the lottery, just file a bunch of lawsuits, you have a better chance of a payoff.

I disagree. I think overall divers are a much better group of people than average society. Sure, there are buttheads, idiots, criminals, and yes unfortunately murderers who are divers. But, overall, I've found better people in diving than any other group I've ever been aware of. They seem friendlier, easier to get along with it, and a helluva lot more trustworthy in general. I'm not sure why but that has definitely been my experience and observation.

Perhaps this is true, but after seeing some of the comments posted on this board, it makes me wonder if divers are not just another element of Society; filled with the same fears and insecurities as everyone else...

Just a quick overview of one study conducted.

Personality differences in high risk sports amateu...[Percept Mot Skills. 2004] - PubMed Result

and the book

Sports marketing and the psychology of marketing communication By Lynn R. Kahle, Chris Riley

The book, around pages 88 or so (if you use Google books) starts breaking the personality down into different areas. Granted, the book is geared toward marketing, but I find some of their conclusions to be fairly interesting as to why we get into some sports.

I've floated a bunch of Usenet boards, groups, and forums over the years. The faces change - but the attitudes remain fairly constant. And it doesn't seem to be just the scuba section.

On some non-diving groups I hang-out in, the personal responsibility issue is just as important as it is here. And the comments thus far on this thread haven't varied too much from what has been said over there.

Just a quick overview of one study conducted.

Personality differences in high risk sports amateu...[Percept Mot Skills. 2004] - PubMed Result

and the book

Sports marketing and the psychology of marketing communication By Lynn R. Kahle, Chris Riley

The book, around pages 88 or so (if you use Google books) starts breaking the personality down into different areas. Granted, the book is geared toward marketing, but I find some of their conclusions to be fairly interesting as to why we get into some sports.

I've floated a bunch of Usenet boards, groups, and forums over the years. The faces change - but the attitudes remain fairly constant. And it doesn't seem to be just the scuba section.

On some non-diving groups I hang-out in, the personal responsibility issue is just as important as it is here. And the comments thus far on this thread haven't varied too much from what has been said over there.

Interesting, especially the difference between instructors and participants of a sport.

Interesting, especially the difference between instructors and participants of a sport.

A higher risk factor for displaying psychotic features <for instructors>. Sooooo, does that mean we drive them crazy? :D:D

A higher risk factor for displaying psychotic features <for instructors>. Sooooo, does that mean we drive them crazy? :D:D

Nope, means that sane people do not want to be instructors....

Personal responsibility pertains to corporations, as well.

The McDonald's story is classic of "partial truth gets the news". Here's the rest of the story:
*SNIP*.

Another salient fact in this litigious society is that the plaintiff did NOT want to sue anyone, she merely wanted her medical expenses covered as she is older with a limited income.

Only after McDonald's blew her off did she start litigation; which was settled out of court with a non-disclosure.....

Nope, means that sane people do not want to be instructors....

From your avatar, you seem to be an excellent candidate... LOL :D

I doubt you would have any problem with class attention or discipline.

From your avatar, you seem to be an excellent candidate... LOL :D

I doubt you would have any problem with class attention or discipline.

I have been spending my retirement years in the education biz.....

Back
Top Bottom