Personal pet peeve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you tip?
Depends on The service provider.

Wait staff, taxis, Uber, delivery folks yes.

Mechanics, hvac, plumbers nope.

Sitting in an airport and being forced to listen to both sides of a conversation on speakerphone ... or FaceTime... or someone watching a movie or playing a game on their device without using a headset ...

I have seen children playing games without headsets, and while it is annoying I guess I can understand that the parents are so relieved their kid is occupied that the parents don't think to remind the kid to use headphones. Maybe I don't travel as much as you, but I don't recall being around an adult watching a movie or playing a game in an airport without headphones.

As for phone or Facetime conversations, yes, I have suffered being around those people. I don't understand how the lack of privacy doesn't faze them, let alone that others may not want to hear their private business. My theory is that by allowing others to hear their mobile device conversations, they are conveying their importance. Only a very important person could not defer that call until they are in a suitably private place.

Since this is posted under Dive Travel, I'll add that when I'm on vacation I try to forget I even have a phone with me. I dive and travel to disconnect from our connected world.

Pet peeve...in general, people.

Dogs are cool though.
You should meet my eskimo. Five minutes with that guy within two hours of dinner time and you'll be begging for people.
Its also their job to land the plane....

I don't applaud my Uber driver when they get me to the airport safely.
Isn't it the linebacker's job to get a sack? Everybody cheers - well, half the stadium.

I have seen children playing games without headsets, and while it is annoying I guess I can understand that the parents are so relieved their kid is occupied that the parents don't think to remind the kid to use headphones. Maybe I don't travel as much as you, but I don't recall being around an adult watching a movie or playing a game in an airport without headphones.

As for phone or Facetime conversations, yes, I have suffered being around those people. I don't understand how the lack of privacy doesn't faze them, let alone that others may not want to hear their private business. My theory is that by allowing others to hear their mobile device conversations, they are conveying their importance. Only a very important person could not defer that call until they are in a suitably private place.

Since this is posted under Dive Travel, I'll add that when I'm on vacation I try to forget I even have a phone with me. I dive and travel to disconnect from our connected world.
One thing I've noticed when people are on speakerphone or on a video call without headphones is they tend to wrap it up quickly when you join in the conversation.

You should meet my eskimo. Five minutes with that guy within two hours of dinner time and you'll be begging for people.

Isn't it the linebacker's job to get a sack? Everybody cheers - well, half the stadium.
Linebacker? Is that a sports ball team player? ;-)

Many people seem to be unable to plan ahead.

Sometimes, even to the point of not finding out the visa regs! My last trip to the Dominican Republic, in the line to purchase the tourist card, I heard the couple ahead of me say "No," then turn toward the immigration counter and get all surprised to see that the tourist card is a required document. What did they think it was for?

Lucky they chose such an easy country as the DR, where you can purchase your visa on arrival. Imagine if they'd showed up like that in Brazil, where you have to apply for your visa in advance...

Imagine if they'd showed up like that in Brazil, where you have to apply for your visa in advance...

The airlines wouldn't have let them board the plane if they didn't meet the entry requirements for the destination country. If they can buy the visa on arrival, then they can board but if not, then no boarding. The airline is responsible for checking visa compliance if required otherwise the airline will be fined and responsible for deportation and transport back to country of departure AFAIK.

Hahaha

OK...

Or they couldn't get a real job because of their "past" or degree of choice.

I wonder if you'd feel the same if your Uber driver was driving you to the airport in a blizzard. I've damn near kissed my driver a couple of times. He's a freaking hero!

What if the landing was in strong crosswind and the plane is coming in at an angle... and everyone can feel and hear the wind buffeting the plane? Then the pilot straightens out the plane at the last second and the landing is smooth? Doesn't that deserve recognition?

LMAO - and no... They're supposed to be able to.

What if the landing was in strong crosswind and the plane is coming in at an angle... and everyone can feel and hear the wind buffeting the plane? Then the pilot straightens out the plane at the last second and the landing is smooth? Doesn't that deserve recognition?
If you feel it is necessary to acknowledge it, then as you leave the airplane, a polite nod and saying "Nice landing." to the pilot would suffice to recognize their skill

Sitting in an airport and being forced to listen to both sides of a conversation on speakerphone ... or FaceTime... or someone watching a movie or playing a game on their device without using a headset ...

BTW If you are in a lounge go ask the front desk person to do walk through to ask people to use a headset.

I just tell the pilot "Nice wheels down"

Back
Top Bottom