Personal Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B1gcountry,
The important thing is everyone came back home. Which brings me to my point that ALL should take away from this...You shouldn't sign up for a two-tank x six-day dive trip with a newly certified person (especially if it's been the first saltwater dive)wife/husband or not. Anyone who has ever done repeatative dives knows that it can take a toll if not prepared.

Congrats on the near-mis and dive safe "er"

I will not let another diver hold my hand. If they need to do that the dive is over. I watched my friend dive with his wife over and over and he kept holding her hand to make sure she was "ok" and felt comfortable. It had the opposite effect. She never learned good bouyancy control, never gained confidence, never became a good diver and now she doesn't dive anymore.

The whole idea of leaving your wife to signal a divemaster 35 feet away seems silly. She should have just followed you to the divemaster, signaled up and you could stay together.

I want to say that from the other view, I see that your wife actually handled it quite well. She tried to think and didn't panic. Why I say this, because she tried to stay with you instead of rushing to the surface. If she didn't get your point that you were only signalling the DM, she might have thought that you left her, as many said, while she was low on air and in need of you. But she still thought clear that and decided to trust you by staying with you.

It's quite understandable if I signalled to someone that I'm low on air and need you, and you moved away from me (although it was an misunderstanding) I could easily give up hope and go to surface for my air supply. It might be true that after that incident she held on to you tightly to ensure you being there.

Other thing, you said that she grabbed you octopus. I guess, it's one other sign that she tried to handle it calmly. Grabbing primary can means one of the ways that all a OOA diver close to panic can think of, to go for the source that surely work, because you just breath from it.
Even when you said that both of you practiced that she should just grab your primary, I still don't see why she is considered panic when she go for octopus, which I thought would be more difficult as the reason stated above and usually the octopus is clipped to the BCD to make it streamline and need a bit of effort to take it out, which is something a panic diver doesn't prefer.

May I ask, why weren't you be the one who hold her?
You could do it with your other hand. It's very important to show 'the you thought as panic' diver that it's okay and you are there for her. She obviously decided that she needed you, and by holding her you could give her a good confidence that you wouldn't leave her. I instead, you forced her to let go of your hand. It's quite drastic but as I said, she calm enough to see your point.

So, imho, you should be grateful that she reacted the way she did instead of a lot of worse possiblities she might go for if she was panic.

I'm one of the wife/husband buddy. We started it together so maybe that is a good way because we were learning together and not become dependent because one is more experienced that the other.
But I remember I had one occasion that I still looked up to him,
one, because he is my buddy and we take care of each other, and two, he is my husband, we take care of each other.

It happened on my first night dive on AOW training. I felt uncomfortable to dive into dark water and it was murky on the day dive. Not usual murky, but if you have seen miso soup in Japanese cuisine, that's like that. So I requested for him to hold my hand during the dive and he did so, in that way, I felt secure and the dive went well. After that, I fell in love with night dive and he never need to hold my hand again.

There was few occasions when one of us was low on air and we decided to do the safety stop, but the DM was wondering to far away. So, instead of catching up with the DM first, we informed other divers nearby in the group or just do the safety stop and keeping our eye on the DM. The DM (good one) should do some checking once in a while and at that time we could signal to DM that we are going up because we are low (provide that viz allow).
Where we have more dives to our belt, we develop another way. Actually, we use what we see fit for different situations. Because we always dive together we have mastered the hand signal between us, and the one who is not low on air will swim to the DM while the buddy is waiting or following slowly on the same depth then we surfaced together. It's also a good thing to be able to inform DM as you don't want the DM to think that you are alright when you are not because previously you were alright when you disappeared without telling him.

I don't really think that it's a must for your wife to try to dive with someone as as you said that she is very independent, it's only on that particular incident she was dependent to you and I can see clearly why. So it's okay to keep diving together, but don't patronize and especially press the idea that you are a much better diver that her. If you do, let her find out herself and learn, if you don't, she won't follow the wrong footstep.

For the hand signal, it's not something difficult to pick up if you learn to communicate enough. Without ever agreeing to particular unusual signal, my husband can tell me that 'a tiny fish is hiding inside this coral has a very funny face, wait for it to come out and see for your self', so it's a matter of practice and use and how to understand each other. Of course, for important hand signal, it's very important to master, whoever you dive with.

Forget to say.
It's worth it to invest on horn or tank banger. Save time and air when you need to call other divers.
But honk might chase big fish away :D

Scott04-
I wouldn't exactly call her a newly certified diver. She had 23 dives before we left, and she'd been diving on several different trips, including a weekend live-aboard. Going from cold water to warm is a big difference, but not terribly difficult. You have to get your experience some way. What better way than a week-long dive trip in warm waters.

I'm not sure what toll 2 dives a day takes on you...especially when you are on vacation and have nothing else to do for the rest of the day. We have done some Cycling trips, and after a couple days, 50-100 miles DOES wear on you, but two easy dives when you have nothing else to do all day, and you don't even have to carry your own tanks, Come on!

We both got up every morning excited to dive, and we even did two afternoon dives on Tuesday (the day this happened) at her request. The only day we missed was Friday due to storms.

Dumpster Diver-
Hey, man, if you and I ever dive together, you ain't holding my hand. My wife can hold my hand...when we're walking along the beach, driving in the car, or even diving. It's not a dependence thing, we just like being close. This case was different. She got scared. She saw me swimming away from her and didn't know why, so when we got to the safety stop she wanted to make sure I couldn't go anywhere. We did talk about it afterwards and she knows what problems it can cause...
But most of the time--not an issue. Hold hands with your S.O. if you both want to.

b1gcountry:
I am a moderately experienced diver (certified 10+ years, 100+ dives, currently DM-C),

b1gcountry:
CityDiver-
We have been doing a lot together, but she has only been diving about a year, and we live in MO, so we don't get to dive much.
Tom

Tom- I'm not gonna address your report and don't take this the wrong way, but I'm trying to figure out how someone with an average of 10 dives per/yr and admitingly doesn't get to dive much becomes even a DM-C?????? Definitely need more diving experience, IMHO, before even thinking of DM'ing. With more diving experience, what happened would've been a walk in the park.
As always YMMV

b1gcountry:
Dumpster Diver-
Hey, man, if you and I ever dive together, you ain't holding my hand. My wife can hold my hand...when we're walking along the beach, driving in the car, or even diving. It's not a dependence thing, we just like being close. This case was different. She got scared. She saw me swimming away from her and didn't know why, so when we got to the safety stop she wanted to make sure I couldn't go anywhere. We did talk about it afterwards and she knows what problems it can cause...
But most of the time--not an issue. Hold hands with your S.O. if you both want to.

I'll hold your hand if you insist, but as I said.. the dive is over and we are headed up.
If the diver is that uncomfortable then the best thing is to go up.

dumpsterDiver:
If the diver is that uncomfortable then the best thing is to go up.

...and once she starting grabbing my hand, the dive WAS over.

Sounds like you are opposed to hand holding in general. If you're in the grocery store and your wife starts holding your hand do you cancel the Cheerios? Okay, I'm not turning this into a discussion on hand-holding, sorry. That's not what this thread was about.

b1gcountry:
. If you're in the grocery store and your wife starts holding your hand do you cancel the Cheerios?.

Heck yeah, she starts showing me that kinda attention we are going STRAIGHT home, if you know what I mean?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom