Personal Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry:
I guess a couple of my main questions were whether I should have taken her with me to tell the DM, or just went up to the safety stop? The Instructer I'm doing my DM with always wants me to let him know if I'm bringing a student up.

How do you deal with a nervous buddy underwater? Esp when it's someone like girlfriend/wife? She is very independent, and doesn't let me help her with anything diving related, but she can become dependent in a heartbeat as I've noted. Are there any Husband/Wife dive teams listening? How did you develop your repore underwater? How long did it take? I was thinking about taking a course in ASL (sign Language) with her.

One of the problems I think is that she is trying to show me she can do it all herself, and doesn't listen when I tell her what we're going to do. Maybe diving with someone else until she doesn't feel this way would help.

IMO, you should not have separated from her to go tell the DM; you should have ascended with her to your safety stop, and you should have just stayed above the DM. He would have noticed you there, doing your stop. If the instructor with whom you are doing your DM training always wants you to advise him when you take a student up, that is an entirely different scenario - isn't your wife a certified diver? As such, in the incident you mentioned, you are not DM/Student being supervised by an instructor, but rather a buddy pair who should remain buddies. You're not a DM candidate at that point, but you are your wife's (more experienced) buddy. Put yourself in those shoes for a minute - you have around 25 dives, are counting on your more experienced buddy for guidance, and suddenly he disappears and heads off with someone else. Is it possible that at that point she simply did not realize that you were going to signal to the DM, but thought instead that she was being abandoned? And when you did reappear, her panic related to the abandonment contributed to her buoyancy issues (possibly her "slow deep breathing" got all screwy) and resulted in her grabbing onto you so you couldn't leave her again?

I am part of a husband/wife buddy team - or former buddy team, I suppose, since we are now both instructors and rarely dive together anymore, it seems. We dove together almost exclusively for three years, and developed a great buddy rapport over that time. Although we started diving near the same time (he started shortly before I did), he was, IMO, a much more confident and better diver from the beginning. On our first "great" dive, which was in quite a wild current, I spent about half of the dive clinging onto his hand in a vise-grip, similar to what you noted at your safety stop. In retrospect, I know that made his dive much less enjoyable than it would have been had he been alone. From my perspective, I wanted to ensure he was there, whether I needed him or not - so I held on. We had at least one incident where we had a fairly major miscommunication that resulted in angry words when we surfaced - it is difficult to clear up miscommunications underwater, so I encourage you both to be patient, and remember all the good things about each other while you're down there. Presumably your wife is not crazy or irrational; it's unlikely that she becomes so underwater. Also, assumptions about understanding can be very dangerous. Maybe get yourselves some slates, and communicate that way to start with. I can tell you that after six years of diving with my husband as a buddy, I either understand clearly what he is trying to communicate to me, or give the shoulder shrug and trust that if I don't understand, it will be okay and just follow along. If one of those things isn't true, I whip out my fisher-price slate and write a big question mark.

When you say "she doesn't listen when I tell her what we're going to do" my wife-hackles rise. JMO, but it sounds like you are not participating as a "team." I understand that you are more experienced, but really, so what? Remember, this is not a DM/student relationship, this is a buddy/buddy relationship. Do YOU listen when she tells you what you are going to do? :)

Your suggestion that she dive with someone else for a while may have some merit. When my husband went to do his DM internship, I was buddyless in cozumel for five weeks. I was the "extra" on every boat, and dove with a wide variety of people, some less experience than I, some more experienced that I was. That time without my "regular buddy," who I may have relied on too much for my own good, was a period of tremendous personal growth as a diver.

However you choose to proceed, good luck, and have fun!
kari

I didn't read the dive plan part? Was there one saying when I signal for YOU to go up, I'll go and chat with divemaster?

Classic example of little mistake (snowball) growing into bigger. Good fortune made it a short roll. Better still is recognizing it and wanting to build on it, my compliments.

Bet it will be awhile (ever) before you mis-communicate with your wife about diving, can't speak for the land side stuff though...

Hoa!

Humble older aquaman:
I didn't read the dive plan part? Was there one saying when I signal for YOU to go up, I'll go and chat with divemaster?

I think this is the real lesson. Your buddy/wife didn't understand what you wanted her to do when she signaled LOA. That indicates you either didn't tell her that before the dive or she didn't follow it. Dive signals can be easily misinterpreted by new divers. While it was probably not a good idea to send her to her safety stop on her own as a new diver, I think the real error here is giving her an instruction she didn't know how to interpret.

The other thing I would do after the fact is figure out why she thought she was OOA if her gauge read 500 psi. She might have been on edge because she was confused about what she was supposed to do or was she reacting to something else?

CityDiver-
Thanks a lot. That was a really great post. I'm not an instructor, and I wasn't the one who certified her. We have been doing a lot together, but she has only been diving about a year, and we live in MO, so we don't get to dive much. So far I've been taking her out and trying to help her with a lot of her skills. I will take us out, and turn to her halfway through, and tell her to get us back to the boat. Also working on her weight and trim, showing her how to dive at night, and getting her comfortable in the water by doing some mask flooding/recovery, and swimming around without a mask. We have only done OOA drills once or twice though (she did them right both times though). One of the issues is just that I don't want to scare her and do an OOA drill on-the-fly, so I always let her know what we're going to be doing before we do it.

Some of the problems with communication underwater is just you never know what you might need to tell someone. We have some established hand signals for wait, over, under, you, me, surface, safety stop, etc. but sometimes they don't go together correctly. Like when I told her I would tell the DM, I probably gave the signals YOU WAIT ME SWIM (Point at DM) OK. I think that might have been a little too much for her all at once.

Tom

Humble older aquaman:
Bet it will be awhile (ever) before you mis-communicate with your wife about diving, can't speak for the land side stuff though...

Not sure I follow you here.

As far as not getting to dive much cuz you live in Missouri....

Missouri has several great lakes for diving Table Rock, Stockton and not to far is Beaver and Bull Shoals.

Sure the vis might not be as good as Bonaire or have the pretty coral and fish but there are lots of fish to see and if it is training your after you don't need all the pretty.
In the summer Table Rock is a shorts and tee shirt dive down to 35 feet and Beaver has at least 30ft vis. I've had worse dives in the VI.

So get out and get wet and get more comfortable with that dive buddy.

deepblueme:
Missouri has several great lakes for diving Table Rock, Stockton and not to far is Beaver and Bull Shoals.
etc.
I get out at least once a month. Last year had about 50 (?) dives. Point being, going diving around here is not something you can just decide to do. You have to drive over 150miles to get somewhere you can get wet. Except Bonne Terre, but I hate Bonne Terre. I've never heard of Stockton Lake before, where is that? I'm in StL, and visit Lake Michigan, Norfork, or one of the quarries most often.

Tom

Stockton is about 2 hours south of KC, just before Lake of the Ozarks, the vis is about 10-15 on a good day (early season).
Norfork is one I forgot to put on my list.

My point was there is alot of "good" diving in the KC-Stl area where you can build your skills that takes less time and money to get to than the Keys or Bonaire.
A 4 hour drive friday night to go diving is better than 4 hours spent sitting in front of the TV. Make a weekend of it!!!

Not sure what the miscue is, I agree. I do most of my diving in the areas you mentioned. Curent Plans are for Norfork and Chicago in May, Table Rock and St Lucia in June, Bull Shoals in July, Milwaukee and NC in August...after there it gets a little not sure.

If you're recommending I dive more, I'm saying, I can't. I could if I lived somplace closer to diving where I could go after work, or on a weekend on the spur of the moment, but having a full-time job and a family prevent me from being able to give up entire weekends to go diving all the time.

Try as I may, I've never been able to get more than 55 dives in a year.

Tom

I noticed one thing most everyone missed. Why did she panic and think she was LOA (Low on Air)? Look at the standard SPG - 500 pounds shows in the red. It's going to look like danger to a newbie diver. She has no idea how much air that means to her, especially in terms of a safety stop when you're shallow. All she knows is - that's the red zone and that means danger which caused her to ignore the other safety factors such as depth, buoyancy and ascent rate. Make sure she can read the SPG numbers clearly underwater - if she doesn't have good eyesight to see the numbers - all the more reason to panic when the needle is in the red.

Set rules for when you will ascend with how much air. With a newbie, I'd set the rule to ascend with 1,000 pounds if you're below 40 feet. Set a rule for the ascent rate - I always keep to one green bar.

The more experience and knowledge she gains and the better she knows her equipment, the less likely she will be to feel panic in the future.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom