Personal bank loan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good day.

I suspect you'll get similar answers to your last thread about financing dive gear.

What answer are you looking for you didn't get the first time?

I wouldn't go in debt for gear. Buy what you can afford and buy used.

Regards,
Cameron

Unless you're buying a decompression chamber (which might be a bit too expensive to pay upfront), absolutely not.

purchase a little scuba equipment at a time...and definitely rent a time share with the hyperbaric chamber.(just joking about the chamber.)

Last edited:
In my poorer days, although I wanted to scuba dive (and ski, travel to foreign countries, and a lot of other things), I couldn't afford the certification course much less the gear. I limited my recreational and entertainment activities to things that didn't involve a lot of gear and which I could pay for in cash with was left over after I paid the rent, student loans, etc. I knew that someday I would be able to afford to do more things, and eventually it happened. If you're young, time is on your side.

Actually, time is not on your side. Many of the best dive spots in the world will be overfished, bleached, polluted, or just plain barren. That does not mean go into debt to buy all kinds of gear. Just understand that things will only get worse.

Actually, time is not on your side. Many of the best dive spots in the world will be overfished, bleached, polluted, or just plain barren. That does not mean go into debt to buy all kinds of gear. Just understand that things will only get worse.
You're just a ray of sunshine, aren't you?

The one thing I would say is that I have sold a lot of dive gear to people using credit cards, some of these people would have done better as far as interest rates go with a consumer loan vs. a credit card.

I've done stuff like that when I was younger (take out personal loans for disposable toys). While I am saying don't do it, I am also admitting that I've certainly been in your shoes at various times in my life. I'm a part of the "gotta have it now" culture that gives us Americans a bad rep. What can I say, it's not my best personality trait.

If you just can't wait then a personal loan is means to an end. You'll probably get a way better interest rate with a loan than you would on a credit card. Don't use the dive shop's finance company, usually those companies that advertise in retail establishments will just rob you blind - often charging the highest rates that the law will allow. If you're going to do it, use your bank or credit union. Then, walk into the dive shop with a debit card and pay for gear with that.

When I was going to college, I worked in a little computer shop. We offered financing on computer systems and several times a month someone would us it. They always got the short end of the stick, because the shop knew exactly how much we could squeeze that customer for and then the finance company would just eat them alive with interest. My conscience is glad I had nothing to do with the financing.

That said, the other people who have posted are right. Most people don't stick with diving like crazy. You could probably rent gear for a few days for the price of a month's payment on that loan. Then in the winter or on a month when you don't feel like diving you aren't paying for paperweights. Also, it's really going to hurt (financially) next year when you've got to g get your gear serviced. There are lots of costs associated with owning scuba gear other than just buying the stuff.

Also, there are actual benefits to renting dive gear vs owning!
  1. Someone else has to maintain it. This can be expensive and time consuming.
  2. You don't have to worry about traveling with your gear. That also means you don't have to worry about your gear getting stolen!
  3. You get to try lots of different brands/models of dive gear. Most dive shops only sell one or two brands, they sign these contracts with manufacturers for various reasons. Renting is the best way to try lots of different brands and then figure out which ones you like best.
  4. It is easier to make sure you have the right tool for the job. If you're renting gear from a shop in the area you will be diving you're going to be renting what is appropriate. For example, if you dive up north and rent from a shop there then your rental gear is likely to be all setup for cold water. If you dive down south, you're not likely to be pushed into renting a thick full wetsuit. The shop will have whatever is appropriate for local diving in their rental fleet.
I say, rent and enjoy renting. I rented gear for at least a full year after I got certified. It probably was 2 years after certification before I had "everything". I've only been certified for 4 or 5 years now. I did this mostly for financial reasons. Eventually I put the money together and researched what I thought would be the best piece of gear for me on a piece by piece basis. It's almost never a good idea to buy a full setup all at the same time - especially if it's a package deal from a shop. Some pieces of that package might be great and usually some are just a complete waste of your money.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom