Perhentian or Redang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

savant

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has any info on getting a tight budgeted dive trip in either of these two places. I am planning to head down there in the first week of June with abt 5 other friends hoping to do something like 12 dives spread out over 5 days. But i see prices varying quite a lot some times. I understand that if there is a local diver among us, usually that will mean quite a reduction. just wondering if there is anyway to get around that, you know, like being a 'backpack' diver. Would gladly hear suggestions.
Jason =-)

Hey Jason

I'm asking a mate of mine who lives in KL and regularly dives both places. Will get back to you soonest...

Perhentian is more for backpackers and Redang is more for tourists that require aircon and hot water. You can also do day trip from Perhentian to Redang.

This site has great info on both:
http://www.perhentianferry.com.my/DiveCentreRate.htm

Perhentian is pretty good fro diving, cheap as Thailand but a lot better than Thailand in terms of marine life and visibility.

Thanks for that, travelem - my mates are not responding - perhaps they're off diving!

Just out of interest, whereabouts in Thailand have you been diving as I notice you don't seem too impressed with it? Have you dived other sites apart from Koh Tao?

I have dived around Phuket, Phi Phi, Similan Islands, Khao Lak, Samui and Koh Tao in Thailand. Koh Tao is more like a cheap weekend diving from BKK. If anyone has to fly to Thailand for diving, don’t waste your time and money on Koh Tao. Phi Phi is a much better alternative for the price just a little higher than Koh Tao is. Similan of course is the best in Thailand.

As much as I like Thailand for its massage and food, Thailand isn’t cut for diving like Malaysia and the Philippines. Especially the Phils which house more than 7000+ islands, many are cheap and safe as Thailand.

Actually, I think Redang is probably better for diving than Perhentian in terms of the marine life, coral etc.

There's definitely more dive operators to choose from (I think almost all the hotels/chalets there have their own operators) though travelem is right - the cheapest accomodation in Redang is probably a lot more expensive than what you can find on Perhentian.

Redang attracts a lot less backpackers - probably because of the higher end prices. Perhentian has a more fun atmosphere for partying, so if that is a priority, I would say go to Perhentian.

Just like to say that I'll choose Perhentian over Redang any day. Firstly because, as everyone has said, its much cheaper (you can get very decent accoms for 20RM/night), its got a better air to it (less touristy, laid-back, without being the party paradise that some of the Thai islands are), and, in my opinion, the diving's just that much better. The good Redang sites like Minimount and Maximount are great, but the others are very run-of-the-mill. On the other hand the average Perhentian site is very pleasant, nothing you'd get bored at, while the good ones - Secret Reef, MV Union Star wreck, T3, Pinnacles, are excellent every time.

My advice would be to go to Perhentian, then when you're there try to do a day trip to Redang. If you have a big enough group, and the 6 of you is enough for this, you can get your shop to arrange one of these if they have a suitable boat to go the distance. Give them a couple day's advance warning. Then when you get there, try to do Minimount and Maximount in particular... the whole trip will take maybe 10 hrs, 8am to 4pm, maybe more if you can negotiate a third dive there. One shop I know for sure does this is Turtle Bay Divers, at http://www.turtlebaydivers.com, the op I regularly use. By doing this, you'll cover the only Redang sites that are worth seeing.

:) Thanks a lot guys, the operators in redang are indeed charging a lot more in terms of accomodation and dive prices. will keep all that in mind, and thanks for all the suggestions. Cheers.

here's that info I promised, savant - just got it thru...

Dive shops in KL who can arrange trips:

Planet Scuba: 0060 3 2287 8328 - ask for Jeslyn
Dive station: 0060 3 2282 1948 - ask for Yanni

Otherwise contact web addresses below. This company is based close to the islands and arranges transfers/ packages as requested.

http://www.redang-island.com/
http://www.pulau-perhentian.com/

With all the details everyone has provided I'm sure you'll find the best deal for your trip. Have fun and don't forget the trip report!

Cheers

:) Yo guys, thanx a bunch. I guess am plan, set and ready to head to Perhentian, will share whatever accidents and marvels I witness..jejeje. Will be planning a day trip out, hopefully Redang and will check out the sites that are worth diving there. Later.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom