Perfecting my buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's common advice, but I think it's only part of the equation.

When a diver can achieve good buoyancy while remaining motionless in one spot, that's a sign that he has figured it out. I thought after 100 dives or so I had good buoyancy control, but I was humbled in Fundies class by the experience of trying to hold my depth while remaining still. After my first shot at Fundies it took another 10 hours hovering above the bottom of a pool before I was able to do it.

Hire a tech instructor for a day or two.

Thus the mentor ship part that followed that little blurb.

Bent Benny,

Largely what others said, but where your lead is has a big effect!

If you have calm ocean water you can get dialed on trim there as well. Surge makes it harder as more things pushing you about. Conceptually it is as simple as knowing you're a 2D see-saw. Arm and leg position makes small dynamic changes, but lead position has a big fixed effect. Get flat and in the hover position (arm out a bit, knees bent 90 degrees) then stop moving. Cross hands and ankles if needed! If you tip one way, move something so you do not. If a little arm or leg position change fixes it, good. If not, get out of the water, MOVE SOME LEAD (left to right, hips to shoulders), and try again. Pockets at plate top or shoulder straps (by the plate) let you get max effect for small amout of lead moved, leaving more lead to be still easily ditchable.

To see if you are flat, descend to the (level) bottom. If your knees hit first, you weren't flat.

Once you no longer tip quickly, small position changes of legs or arms should be enough to keep you level, with a base position of arms a bit out and legs at 90 degrees up. That is the goal. Finning (sculling) to create up/down force is the easier step short of that.

Get buoyancy down, that should be easy and it helps. Do a buoyancy check at SS depth with low air and keep refining your weight. Floating eye level is a quick crude estimate; neutral at SS with empty BC, low tank is the goal.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom