Peregrine compatible logging software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
So last year I switched over to the Shearwater Peregrin. I been very happy with the computer, and having it keep a permanent electronic book is new to me. I bit the bullet and switched to the shearwater logging software to track my dives. I like the easy downloads and being able to add detail (locations, commentary, etc.), but I am looking for something more scrap book-y.

I am not a tech diver, obsessed with my SAC or documenting my deep and heroics adventures. I like finding a spot and exploring it, I have GPS tracking of my dives, pictures, videos and commentaries associated with certain dives and location. I am looking for software that better fits my usage than the shearwater log I bought.

Here is what I am interested in:
*Portability. I would like to be able to transfer the ~100 dives I’ve logged in the shearwater app to this new platform.
*Integration of Pictures and links to my videos (YouTube). I periodically make fairly long FB posts about dive spots that can be used by others (or me). I like the integration of the dive profile and such from the computer into the log, being able to include any media that is associated with a particular dive is what the shearwater app lacks.

I don’t want to just jump from app to app. What I would like is to find one that lets me integrate the old log into the new one, but with greater utility.

If you are a Mac user, MacDive could be close to that bill.

You can directly upload the peregrine and photos to it. If your camera and peregrine are time synch’d then they will overlay on the dive profile. If you “tag” animals in the photos you can go to the marine life page and see stats about those animals (avg depth, temp, all dives with this animals, etc).

Location tracking is easy either with known GPS coordinates or via the iPhone companion app that can do GPS tracking on its own.

YouTube videos would just need to be links in the comments.

Attachments

• BC1C1C49-3ED9-4383-AF42-0090D5D71DE7.png
    BC1C1C49-3ED9-4383-AF42-0090D5D71DE7.png
    240 KB · Views: 67
  • 7C4CEA3B-34B3-44D5-A13C-DD905BD14834.png
    7C4CEA3B-34B3-44D5-A13C-DD905BD14834.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 57
Definitely agree with MacDive.

Subsurface may be worth a look. It does have media links that it can automagically add to profiles based on timestamp. I believe it can import from Shearwater cloud, although I haven't done that myself. It does include all the techie stuff you said you didn't care about, so the UI might be a bit cluttered for you. Hard to say without trying, these things tend to be very personal.

So last year I switched over to the Shearwater Peregrin. I been very happy with the computer, and having it keep a permanent electronic book is new to me. I bit the bullet and switched to the shearwater logging software to track my dives. I like the easy downloads and being able to add detail (locations, commentary, etc.), but I am looking for something more scrap book-y.
I started using DiverLog+ as it was recommended when I got my Oceanic with logging capability. On recommendations from others, I started to also use SubSurface. At first I didn't care for it as much, but as I started using it more, I liked it more and more.

When I switched my primary DC to a Shearwater, DiverLog+ was useless, but Subsurface worked well. As mentioned above, the UI is a bit polarizing. Some absolutely hate it. I won't say it's my favorite, but it works just fine for me.

Subsurface is currently free. There are versions available for Windows, Mac, and Linux desktop/laptop computers as well as mobile versions for iOS and Android. I'd give it a shot, it works well with Shearwater computers, especially the mobile versions. Desktop/laptop bluetooth can sometimes be a bit flaky.

Subsurface does support GPS location tracking, but it's a bit manual currently (at least with iOS). Previous versions allowed using the phone's location data to automatically save the GPS coordinates, but this has been disabled recently at least for iOS due to newer App Store requirements. It's still possible to save GPS locations using other sources, it's just not automatic. Probably the simplest is to use the iOS Compass app and copy/paste to Subsurface Mobile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom