Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received mine yesterday. I'll get it wet tomorrow. Though I did post on FB that I was so excited that I went for a dive to 249 feet. Posted a pic of the dive profile. Many were impressed by my smooth descent and ascent. :wink:

I've been diving with mine since January. Almost 50 hours of dive time logged on it and I continue to be impressed. Be sure to download the current firmware, v34. There several improvements and upgrades.

Last edited:
I first used mine on a liveaboard trip to Belize on the Aggressor III last month. With 5 dives daily throughout the week, I especially appreciated being able to keep an eye on my tissue loading with the graphic display. I liked the recreational interface for that type of diving too. Great computer!

I liked the recreational interface for that type of diving too. Great computer!

Can I conclude you used the computer for recreational diving (e.g. air and nitrox)?

I am thinking about purchasing the Perdix but I am concerned it might be too feature-rich for me; I will only dive on air and nitrox.

One of my purchase criteria is a large and easy to read interface that give me the basics (e.g. no deco time, depth, safety stop, etc.)

Thanks for your reply

GJS

Can I conclude you used the computer for recreational diving (e.g. air and nitrox)?

I am thinking about purchasing the Perdix but I am concerned it might be too feature-rich for me; I will only dive on air and nitrox.

One of my purchase criteria is a large and easy to read interface that give me the basics (e.g. no deco time, depth, safety stop, etc.
I've had a Petrel 2 for over a year and a half, and am purely a recreational diver - air and nitrox. The Perdix wasn't an option then, but they seem to be functionally identical. It's a great recreational dive computer. I still have my Suunto Vyper in a console with my SPG and compass, but after about 2 dives only refer to my Petrel, as it's easier to read and the information display is more useful. It's very easy to set up and use, and you can customize the fields displayed to your liking

One of my purchase criteria is a large and easy to read interface that give me the basics (e.g. no deco time, depth, safety stop, etc.)

Thanks for your reply

GJS

Yes, it was a recreational trip with 32%. The new interface works like a charm for that kind of diving.

I do primarily what I call Tecreational diving... air and nitrox, but almost always going into deco and almost always carrying 02 or a rich nitrox as a deco gas.

Previous computers (Dive Rite Duo, Apeks Quantum etc) managed the dives no problem, but they rarely lasted more than two years. As my eyes (and the displays) aged, I was also having some difficulty reading them, even with a presription mask.

I use a Petral... extremely easy to read and bombproof. I am into my third season with it (about 320 dives) and it continues to function flawlessly. I figure by next season, I will have a free computer as I would have probably replaced two pucks by then.

I use mine in tec mode... I just prefer the additional info I get as I do some deeper dives (in the 150 - 180' range) frequently...

They're a lot of money, but it's money well spent IMHO.

With the Perdix in Recreational Nitrox Mode, some of the advanced features are simply turned off and hidden, as if they did not exist. So the only negative of the Perdix to the rec-only diver is cost. One might ask, why pay so much for a computer that is only going to operate in recreational mode, with so many advanced features hidden from me in recreational mode? As I see it, the most basic features account for the greatest proportion of the cost: No matter what software features are turned off and what are turned on, the Perdix is still a well-engineered machine, with a "large and easy to read interface," and backed by legendary customer service and almost shockingly forthright public relations. Just reading the extremely well-written manual gave me an idea of what kind of people Shearwater are. The Shearwater people have given straightforward answers to a number of questions that have been posted here on SB--something I have not seen from any rec-oriented computer manufacturer. All of that comes at some cost. As I see it, the additional software features that are geared strictly toward technical divers account for a relatively small proportion of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom