Perdix showing (wrong) depth on land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a Perdix that was working fine. Mailed it to a friend and now the depth reading is broken. Computer thinks it's at depth even though it's sitting on his desk.

Has anyone seen this before?

I have a Perdix that was working fine. Mailed it to a friend and now the depth reading is broken. Computer thinks it's at depth even though it's sitting on his desk.

Has anyone seen this before?
I had an Oceanic ProPlus that got turned on in a plane. When we landed, it thought we were at 8 feet. At least one alarm was activated, I think dive duration, maybe others. It stayed in this dive mode until I took out the battery and reset it. Don't know if this has any relevance to your problem.

Could the pressure sensor have gone out? In my experience this does not result in incorrect depth on land, but incorrect NDLs, thinking it is diving at altitude

I saw mine do that after I turned it on in an airplane. It reset sea level pressure at to 9500 ft and then thought I was diving once we landed. Had to pull out the battery to reset it. ;-)

I had a Nitek that was in my bag, went flying and afterwards it registered the descent as the start of a dive. Stayed in dive mode till the battery went flat.

If it went airmail, I suspect that the gradual rate of climb made the computer think you were driving to altitude, the (comparatively) rapid descent made it think you were starting a really long shallow dive. Have you tried removing the batteries for a day or two then replacing? That should clear the onboard tissue memory and give you a clean slate.

Is there any reason NOT to take the battery out when flying? I ordered one yesterday.

It will track your loading during the flight. Cargo hold is the usual issue, cabin is usually fine.

I had a friend who had a petrel reading 10 feet too deep. You should have seen her face when we hit 20' and switched to O2.

Taking the battery out didn't help.

She sent it back to Shearwater and they replaced the pressure sensor and maybe the internal motherboard.
My understanding is the pressure sensors do fail periodically.

I put mine in the handbag cabine luggage. After a long flight, once landed, the computer shown me I was in gassing (after 8 hours offgassing), but no depth indication; he knew we were not in a dive. The ingassing was shown from the tissue page.
I just though it was the expected behaviour. No complain on it.
Note: I did not switch on the computer during the flight: it was discovered once arrived when I switched it on to change the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom