People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not used a BP/W yet, but I dont see how needing and wearing a crotch strap is a good thing. If it's needed then the rig must be pulling on it. How does that feel at the end of the day?
The crotch strap is what locks things down and keeps them from moving around. I've never noticed that it felt like anything at the end of the day or any other time.

I have not used a BP/W yet, but I dont see how needing and wearing a crotch strap is a good thing. If it's needed then the rig must be pulling on it. How does that feel at the end of the day?

The only time you feel it is floating vertical on the surface. I put a neoprene tube on mine ("dive rite shoulder pads" from DGX) to isolate the wetsuit from the edges of the webbing, not because there was any discomfort down there.

The only time that I felt the crotch strap was on a long deco stop when my mind drift to something else!

I suppose someone could give you a wedgie with it, but that’s the only downside I can think of.

I suppose someone could give you a wedgie with it, but that’s the only downside I can think of.
And if they do I suggest finding another buddy!

I don't have any regrets about getting BP/W. I like modularity and i feel that I'm more streamlined
You may want to consider quick release on your harness as standard harness doesn't have one ( sometimes it's hard to doff when in the water )

I don't have any regrets about getting BP/W. I like modularity and i feel that I'm more streamlined
You may want to consider quick release on your harness as standard harness doesn't have one ( sometimes it's hard to doff when in the water )

Try this:

Organize your reg hoses (depends on how you route, but think about where they will end up)

Inflate your wing just enough to float your rig, don't fill 'till the opv vents

Open the waist buckle, and drop the crotch strap

Reach back and grab the tank valve / first stage

Duck your head and shoulders and pull the entire rig over your head. You don't lift it, you kinda slide under it.

Done properly the rig ends up plate side up, tank valve towards the diver right in front of you.

You can keep a reg in your mouth while doing so.

Donning is the reverse :)

Tobin

The crotch strap is what locks things down and keeps them from moving around. I've never noticed that it felt like anything at the end of the day or any other time.
I have to agree. Even if I'm wearing shorts only (no wetsuit/exposure protection at all) I don't feel the crotch strap.

Organize your reg hoses (depends on how you route, but think about where they will end up)
truncated for brevity...
This is what I was referring to. Doffing and donning a BC shouldn't need a bunch of instructions or contortions. The only protocol I suggest is that the right arm should be the first in and last out. It works the same on the deck, on the surface or under the surface.

Back
Top Bottom