People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more time;

Scuba is not my living.

My CPA would tell you the same thing.

I've made that point repeatedly, yet you continue to repeat this false claim.

Given that it is not my "living" then your "understanding" of my motives is false, and will remain false regardless of how often you knowingly repeat this falsehood.

I have zero issues with you or anybody else that disagrees with me regarding the ease or effort required to don or doff *any* BC.

I do take exception to your unmerited assignment of motive.

Tobin
No need to get insulted Tobin, and I am speaking as a “common” and “vulgar” technical salesperson, still seeking to “corrupt” the innocent buyers with my irresistible and intoxicating sales swag: The frilly Fish grilling Apron advertising the (hypothetical) Franny’s Fishcapades Event celebrating the (Potential) Lionfish Hunt to market the (as-yet-not-invented) awesome new speargun. Please don’t misunderstand my motives! I just want to have fun!

I'd expect that people who order a BP/W online do not regret it, simply because most disadvantages of BP/W are obvious before ordering it. A single tank vacation diver looking for a lightweight simple solution that works will hardly miss the fact that BP/W with a steel backplate is heavier and more expensive than most jackets, and that a metal backplate is not necessary for single tank diving. Most likely he will not order a BP/W and hence cannot regret it, problem solved.

Yup, what @rsingler showed you. Quite useful when you need storage space for things. I have my wetnotes, backup mask, SMB, spool, and mesh bag inside.
An alternative to the thigh pocket would be tech shorts (pair of short pants with pockets on them), or glue on thigh pockets that you glue onto your wetsuit.
Hi what is an smb, Im new to scubaboard and the slang, thanks.

I changed to BP/W based solely on the research (mainly on SB) as well. No regrets there.

First time in the pool with a BP/W, most noticeable changes were

1. More free around the torso, there is no hugging feeling as with a jacket BCD
2. Trim definitely feels more natural
3. Much more easier to utilise D rings, as the rental jacket BCDs I've used before always had D rings in weird places that either dangle when clipped, cannot be found easily, or is just plain impossible to clip off without contorting yourself.
4. No feeling of the BCD riding up, due to the crotch strap on the BP/W

However, as much as I love the BP/W, there are definitely some changes that you have to get used to before feeling comfortable with it.

1. Setting up is a more complicated process compared to the jacket BCD, but once you get it correct, it will feel loads better than a jacket BCD. Just experiment around with different configurations, tweaking the height of the wing on the backplate, the length of the straps, the position of the D rings etc until you find a configuration that you like.

2. No pockets that are usually available with jacket BCDs. I used a thigh pocket and also changed to the longhose configuration in order to take full advantage of the tried and true Hogarthian configuration.

3. As you would likely be spending much more time in trim now, you might have to get used to doing skills in trim (such as regulator recovery, mask clearing, dumping air, shooting a DSMB etc) rather than in the upright position as is common with jacket BCDs.

4. You might need some time to get accustomed to the rear dump, as BP/Ws usually have rear dumps that face inside (facing the diver), rather than outside (facing the surface).

5. Learn how to don and doff a BP/W harness (involves pulling the D ring on each of the shoulder straps). It will be a piece of cake once you get the skill down.

6. Experiment with weights and again, as the amount and distribution of weights will definitely have changed. Also consider whether a weight belt will interfere with the waist strap of your harness.

7. Had no issues with staying upright on the surface, but read that some divers had to experiment around on their weight distribution to being faceplanted into the water on the surface.

TL: DR, changing to a BP/W before trying it out shouldn't be too much of an issue, but would recommend you to factor in some time to get comfortable with the BP/W, and not just push your limits on the first dive, or leave the first dive with the BP/W until the the day of your expensive dive trip.
One thing baffling me in these discussions on BP/W is the need for a crotch strap. If the rig is not riding up and one does not feel the tug of a strap, what is it for??? If it's needed, then one has to assume there is pressure on the crotch strap, and to me this would be unpleasant to say the least.

1. One thing baffling me in these discussions on BP/W is the need for a crotch strap. If the rig is not riding up and one does not feel the tug of a strap, what is it for??? If it's needed, then one has to assume there is pressure on the crotch strap, and to me this would be unpleasant to say the least.

One thing baffling me in these discussions on BP/W is the need for a crotch strap. If the rig is not riding up and one does not feel the tug of a strap, what is it for??? If it's needed, then one has to assume there is pressure on the crotch strap, and to me this would be unpleasant to say the least.
Strange question to ask considering the following question was answered a few days ago.
I have not used a BP/W yet, but I dont see how needing and wearing a crotch strap is a good thing. If it's needed then the rig must be pulling on it. How does that feel at the end of the day?

Either go with your imagination or go with the countless people’s experience, if you notice it you’re not doing it right. This is the most common fear of conventional b/c divers right up until they try one. Each person I’ve seen try one hasn’t gone back, with the BPW you have all of the fit options available to you, more d rings or fewer and exactly where they are, where it rides on your back, high or low (also some of that with a conventional b/c) where do you want weights, high,low in the middle on the straps on the plate on the cam bands, your choice.

I don’t like or use the hog one piece straps, I rig mine up as an H with a chest strap and T’s on the waist belt so the shoulder straps end a bit forward of the backplate which feels better to me, I also use weight pockets on the waist belt and the H style helps distribute and stabilize these.

Find someone with a spare BPW and try it rather than rely on imagination or don’t, it’s up to you.

The crotch strap isn't a primary attachment to hold the rig on you, it is an aid. I went a couple of months without one and it was better then any of the jacket BCs I had prior. I was getting a little rise on my back and realized they made a crotch strap to correct that. So I picked one up and tried it. The strap isn't a lot of force, not really noticable, even in just a pair of swim shorts. It just helps keep everything in place, just so it doesn't shift around.

I have forgotten to hook up the crotch strap a few times. Not that big of a deal. So the rig rides up a couple of inches on my back, flops around a little, but everything still works. By no means a reason to call the dive, just something annoying during the dive that you know can be better. It's all about getting everything dialed in just right. Some people can probably not have a need for one, but most people would benifit from one. If you are a freshly minted diver you probably couldn't notice as you have too many other things going on. But one you get comfortable in the water you can tell how well little things make a big difference in how comfortable you are.

I'd expect that people who order a BP/W online do not regret it, simply because most disadvantages of BP/W are obvious before ordering it. A single tank vacation diver looking for a lightweight simple solution that works will hardly miss the fact that BP/W with a steel backplate is heavier and more expensive than most jackets, and that a metal backplate is not necessary for single tank diving. Most likely he will not order a BP/W and hence cannot regret it, problem solved.
Well you described me to a T and I ordered one. I did get the AL plate though. My goal is to reduce the volume of my equipment for travel, the set up is lighter also than my Zeagle Brigade. I will find out if I regret it soon enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom