People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyatt1225

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m close to buying a package through my LDS that includes either the dive rite classic set up or trans plate for a little more. Having never used one I obviously have my reservations, but I know many recommend it.

It's like night and day. Not having a giant pillow around you while trying to swim on the surface or underwater makes all the difference. Having your tank stable rather than swinging from a jacket BC makes walking in your gear much easier. There are no drawbacks to switching.

I got one based on recommendations on rec.scuba for those who have been around long enough to know what that is and I have been happy ever since.
Not sure if this will answer your question but as many people hate it as love it so the key is getting a chance to try before you buy. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing to help you set it up properly because if it doesn't fit right you won't like it.

Expected greatness and got more than I expected. There is a reason people praise them to the point that it annoys others. They work that well. Fit matters and getting it right isn't as easy as pulling on some adjustment tabs but once it's right you are done.

I sell BP&W worldwide. The vast, vast majority of our buyers have never used on, and the majority haven't seen one in person or have any dive buddies that have one.

Our return rate is effectively zero, maybe 4-5 out of many thousands over ~15 years.

I can only assume most have success, most manage to figure out how to set them up (without endless gizmos and 112 post threads seeking help)

I suspect that getting plates and wings appropriate for their application helps the satisfaction rate, but keep in mind that a BP&W is a really just very simple modular BC.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Tobin

yes! I bought before trying one on and I loved it every single dive.¸
BPW is the way to go. way more comfortable than a jacket.

I did years ago and never looked back. Do get help setting it up. Common pitfalls are too tight (feals snug but can be restricting and makes it unnecessarily difficult to don and doff), too loose (soothes fear that you won't be able to get it off in a hurry, but makes it less stable), trimmed the harness too short (leave space to "grow", allow for a thicker wetsuit or drysuit, and for the fact that you might actually want to loosen it at some point).
I spent ages threading and rethreading it initially. Missed a d-ring, put a d-ring on facing the wrong way. That's fine. Use it to become more familiar with fixing and tweaking your gear. Just don't wait until 1hr before your dive to set up your rig.

Yes. Wouldn't want to dive without it

I love mine from DSS. Never used one previously. I much prefer it over the BCD rental I was certified with. It's a bit different of course, but I like it a lot better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom